2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hopefully all of Frost, Vorobyov and Vecchione are given an honest shot to impress at camp, and aren't written off before they take the ice. I'm not saying I am adamant that any are ready, and I am comfortable being patient with Frost. Vecchione is getting a bit long in the tooth as a prospect and I agree with CS that it would be a boost if he could take over the 4C / PK role.

I don't know how much he PKed in the AHL.

Couturier, Raffl, Laughton, Lindblom, Simmonds, and even Patrick are all good PK options.

Edit - I forgot Giroux.

Last edited:

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
is it wrong for me to want this team to win? do you want this team to just make the playoffs and get embarrassed every year? it seems like that's been the motto for over 40 years with former flyers as gms.

Calm down losing manning,flip, and read is already a plus sometimes things dont work out with free agents. This next season is still a rebuilding year to me we still need a goalie, 3c, and top 4 dman hexy will fill as many holes as possible. 2019-2020 is the year we make a big move to me. Making the playoffs, getting the young guys ecprrience,and possibly winning a round is my realistic expectations for this season.

Reactions: Striiker and Norze

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I want to see Tavares go to Dallas, and then Spezza get traded for Neuvirth.

Spezza or Neuvrith...ummm

giphy.gif

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

Norze

Jun 28, 2018
Norway
is it wrong for me to want this team to win? do you want this team to just make the playoffs and get embarrassed every year? it seems like that's been the motto for over 40 years with former flyers as gms.
Man, you need to get laid! For Flyers there has been a lot of trying not to embarrass them self in the po the last 40 years....

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's just weird seeing the Flyers at 10th to last place on CapFriendly. Of course that is a 17-man roster but still ...

I think they should put Lindblom and Sanheim on the roster to bring it up to 19. They were on there at the end of the season. Then signing Hagg would get it up to 20.

Reactions: BernieParent

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

No there isnt. I want the team to win, i just think you are being a little over dramatic thats all. How many teams have done something significant?
On top of that no one even knows if Philly is on EKs no trade list. Tavares was never going to go to a division rival. Making trades is a little harder than NHL18

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I think we went to more Conference finals in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s than any other team.

We have not won the big one in that time, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

You act like this team has made no progress the last four years, and the only way they can ever win is to make a big splash by trading for or signing a "name" player.
Hextall in four years had not only built a team that made the playoffs twice, but a talent pipeline rated #1 in the NHL, and after this draft I'm sure they're still in the top 5.

This is a playoff team RIGHT NOW, they had 98 points last year despite having to play Mrazek and Lyon for the playoff stretch run.
This year they will have the top two lines intact from the beginning of the season and a more talented, experienced defensive group.

They have five top young talents, all of whom will be 22 or younger this season, the years when players make big jumps. TK was scoring at a 2.27pp/60 pace, above say JT, JVR or any other FA available, now he'll spend the whole year on the 1st line instead of less than half a year. Patrick would probably have been the #1 pick if he hadn't been injured. Lindblom was the top 1 or 2 forward in the SHL at age 20, as Appleyard will tell you, that performance is almost a slam dunk guarantee of NHL success. Myers was Button's 10th ranked prospect outside the NHL in 2017, Sanheim #29.
https://www.tsn.ca/talent/who-are-the-best-players-not-skating-in-the-nhl-1.677389

That's not "some young players" coming up, that would be the core for any team building a SC contender.
Then you add possibly the best player in the CHL (Frost or Hart, take your pick!).
There's talent at Lehigh, talent in the CHL/SHL/NCAA, but there's also plenty of talent at the NHL level.

Sure, it would be nice if Ron can bolster the bottom six, right now we have Laughton, Simmonds, Raffl, NAK, Weal, MV, and upgrade or two would help.
But it won't be the end of the world to start the season with this six (instead of with Leier, Weise, Filppula like last season).
They'll have Rubtsov, Vorobyev, Twarnyski, Bunnaman, et al in the AHL for depth instead of Read and Lehtera).
And if Ron deems Frost ready, he's more talented than any FA outside of JT.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
You act like this team has made no progress the last four years, and the only way they can ever win is to make a big splash by trading for or signing a "name" player.
Hextall in four years had not only built a team that made the playoffs twice, but a talent pipeline rated #1 in the NHL, and after this draft I'm sure they're still in the top 5.

This is a playoff team RIGHT NOW, they had 98 points last year despite having to play Mrazek and Lyon for the playoff stretch run.
This year they will have the top two lines intact from the beginning of the season and a more talented, experienced defensive group.

They have five top young talents, all of whom will be 22 or younger this season, the years when players make big jumps. TK was scoring at a 2.27pp/60 pace, above say JT, JVR or any other FA available, now he'll spend the whole year on the 1st line instead of less than half a year. Patrick would probably have been the #1 pick if he hadn't been injured. Lindblom was the top 1 or 2 forward in the SHL at age 20, as Appleyard will tell you, that performance is almost a slam dunk guarantee of NHL success. Myers was Button's 10th ranked prospect outside the NHL in 2017, Sanheim #29.
https://www.tsn.ca/talent/who-are-the-best-players-not-skating-in-the-nhl-1.677389

That's not "some young players" coming up, that would be the core for any team building a SC contender.
Then you add possibly the best player in the CHL (Frost or Hart, take your pick!).
There's talent at Lehigh, talent in the CHL/SHL/NCAA, but there's also plenty of talent at the NHL level.

Sure, it would be nice if Ron can bolster the bottom six, right now we have Laughton, Simmonds, Raffl, NAK, Weal, MV, and upgrade or two would help.
But it won't be the end of the world to start the season with this six (instead of with Leier, Weise, Filppula like last season).
They'll have Rubtsov, Vorobyev, Twarnyski, Bunnaman, et al in the AHL for depth instead of Read and Lehtera).
And if Ron deems Frost ready, he's more talented than any FA outside of JT.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Sweetbutt

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I'd feel a lot better going forward with the "our players own progression will be enough" logic if teams like Carolina, NY Islanders, Columbus, and Jersey also didn't have extremely bright young players they're building around. They all have super high end young talent as well and it's not like they're not gonna take steps forward.

In regards to the future Metro arms race, we had a jump on Carolina by getting Patrick, but the very next year the same lottery fortune falls on them and they get Svech.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd feel a lot better going forward with the "our players own progression will be enough" logic if teams like Carolina, NY Islanders, Columbus, and Jersey also didn't have extremely bright young players they're building around. They all have super high end young talent as well and it's not like they're not gonna take steps forward.

In regards to the future Metro arms race, we had a jump on Carolina by getting Patrick, but the very next year the same lottery fortune falls on them and they get Svech.

We had 98 points, Carolina had 82, NYI had 80, a fairly large gap there.
CBJ has Dubois, Bjorkstand, Wennberg, Milano and Werenski - I'll take our young players. Bob is the only reason they're competitive.
NJ had Nico - Bratt, Zacha, Santini, Butcher are nice but not special.

We finished ahead and have a better young core and better talent in the pipeline.
I'm not very worried about the competition in the Metro.

Reactions: BernieParent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA