2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
We're banking everything on players from within taking the jump.

But some of us are looked at as complete ass holes on here for not wanting to completely "trust the process" and banking on all of the young guys taking the big steps necessary. Some players will make the jump; others won't. But we're the pricks for raising the questions "... but what if they don't make the jump?"

I'm more than confident Patrick & TK will take as many steps as Hakstol will let them (TK could easily put up the season Kyle Connor just had or is going to have next year, but will TK get the chance?). I hope to god Sanhiem puts together a 30-point campaign (that's a lot of points, but that's about what it's going take for me to continue to think we have a keeper with Sanhiem). I hope Myers gets a chance and can be the Top 4 RHD this team is dying for. I don't think Frost is on the roster, but if he does cool hopefully he is awesome. I'm not a Lindblom truther, but if he can magically take the jump into a Top 6 guy, then awesome.

That's a lot of hope, tho. And we don't have a goalie. And we still have college boy as our coach.
You just really shouldn't expect much out of next year.

Even if we sign Tavares (for example), the goalies and defense are not ready.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
We're banking everything on players from within taking the jump.

But some of us are looked at as complete ass holes on here for not wanting to completely "trust the process" and banking on all of the young guys taking the big steps necessary. Some players will make the jump; others won't. But we're the pricks for raising the questions "... but what if they don't make the jump?"

I'm more than confident Patrick & TK will take as many steps as Hakstol will let them (TK could easily put up the season Kyle Connor just had or is going to have next year, but will TK get the chance?). I hope to god Sanhiem puts together a 30-point campaign (that's a lot of points, but that's about what it's going take for me to continue to think we have a keeper with Sanhiem). I hope Myers gets a chance and can be the Top 4 RHD this team is dying for. I don't think Frost is on the roster, but if he does cool hopefully he is awesome. I'm not a Lindblom truther, but if he can magically take the jump into a Top 6 guy, then awesome.

That's a lot of hope, tho. And we don't have a goalie. And we still have college boy as our coach.

I don't think there is a huge swath of people who think you are naught body parts for not completely trusting in Hextall solving all problems internally. However, the multiple posts supporting "just do something!" seem to take the opposite stance.

I want a big trade. I want a name signing that will propel this team ahead in being competitive. But hearing what the (alleged) asks are for even mediocre talent gives me a lot of pause.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
You just really shouldn't expect much out of next year.

Even if we sign Tavares (for example), the goalies and defense are not ready.
We're running on a weird treadmill right now.
We have the G, Jake, Wayne core and the Provorov, Patrick, TK etc core and then Couts and Ghost who transcend both cores.

I was gobsmacked to find out that we were a damn near 100 point team last year. Sure didn't feel like it. Like, not even close. I would have guessed we had 90-ish points.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
if giroux, jake, courturier dont repeat those stats in 2019 season, this team is going to be in trouble. you only have provy, ghost, and patrick to pick it up, that's not going to be enough, simmonds is streaky, there's hardly any elite players in our bottom 6, that's what hurt us this past season, i just dont see how this team will compete with just three players.
Even if the top 3 don’t score as much, there’s plenty of players who will be likely scoring more than they did last year.

Konecny, Patrick, Lindblom, Sanheim, and then, depending on who else makes the team or what other changes are made, you could see a handful of other upgrades. Laughton? Myers? NAK? Frost? Who knows.

Plus if the team depth improves, it helps more than being a top heavy team. They’ll no longer be our entire chance for winning. It’ll be possible to still win, even when they don’t do 100% of the work, unlike last year where if they had a tough stretch the team had to chance.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Um. I love Frost, but I don't think a Barzal comp is where you want to go, even the pre-NHL version.

Those Seattle teams were....top-heavy.

Barzal [5'11 175 at 2015 Combine] 6'0 190 #15- 2016
2015-16 (PD+1): 58g 27-61 88 +22 PO: 18g 5-21 26 +2
2016-17 (PD+2): 41g 10-69 79 +32 PO: 16g 7-18 25 +8

Frost [5'11 172 at 2017 Combine] #27-2017
2017-18: (PD+1): 67g 42-70 112 +70 PO: 24g 10-19 29 -4

Both were May birthdays.
I'd say they're pretty darn comparable.
Doesn't mean I expect Frost to put up a PPG in 2019-20, but would Barzal have done so as a rookie in a more conventional offense?
For one thing, Frost won't have the linemates Barzal was given as the Flyers 3C until some other prospects grow up.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Ok, Grabner should definitely be a target...my feelings have grown the closer we get. What kind of numbers are we thinking here? Is he a 3-4 mill player? Too high, too low? I cant really gauge it and think others on here may have already looked at comps?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Barzal [5'11 175 at 2015 Combine] 6'0 190 #15- 2016
2015-16 (PD+1): 58g 27-61 88 +22 PO: 18g 5-21 26 +2
2016-17 (PD+2): 41g 10-69 79 +32 PO: 16g 7-18 25 +8

Frost [5'11 172 at 2017 Combine] #27-2017
2017-18: (PD+1): 67g 42-70 112 +70 PO: 24g 10-19 29 -4

Both were May birthdays.
I'd say they're pretty darn comparable.
Doesn't mean I expect Frost to put up a PPG in 2019-20, but would Barzal have done so as a rookie in a more conventional offense?
For one thing, Frost won't have the linemates Barzal was given as the Flyers 3C until some other prospects grow up.

Katchouk, Gettinger, Hayton, Verbeek, Kopacka, Sandin, Timmins, Hollowell, Sambrook, part-time Raddysh, etc.

Bear, Gropp, Kolesar, various plumbers and pharmacists...and keep in mind that one of the criticisms was that he passes too often.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Don’t know if this was mentioned here or not, but good on Amac for offering up his house and car to the Bronco kid while he rehabs in philly. Rightly so, a lot of negative talk about his on ice stuff here, but it seems like Amac has been a good guy off the ice while his time in philly.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Don’t know if this was mentioned here or not, but good on Amac for offering up his house and car to the Bronco kid while he rehabs in philly. Rightly so, a lot of negative talk about his on ice stuff here, but it seems like Amac has been a good guy off the ice while his time in philly.

Did he give the kid the blueline, too?

(sorry)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not MacDonald's fault that Homer was an idiot, a 2nd and 3rd plus 6 years/$30M.
Would you have turned down 2nd pair money knowing you were a 3rd pair talent?
Not in this life!

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Both Chia and Hextall inherited pretty poor situations. Only difference is 1 GM laid out a 5 year plan while the other rushed a rebuild

As much as some people rip Hextall for players like Weise, Flip, Elliot, etc...it's much better than handing out longterm contracts before the team even has matured..like Russel, Lucic and Sekera . Not to mention Chia trying to skip the draft/develop process by 2 years for a franchise dman and trading for Reinhart...or to a lesser extent, paying too high for Larsson(who is a good dman btw)

Anyone ripping him for not being aggressive enough just needs to look at the Oilers method thus far. They'd be set to win a cup right about now had they not traded Hall, drafted Sergachev(no need for JP b/c of Hall), drafted one of Barzal/Conner/Boeser/Chabot and augmented their roster with maybe 1 notable FA and like us, some NHL capable players

Reactions: hrocks66

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Oh for sure. Points get paid.

We look at 8x8 as full market UFA value on Carlson since that was the final number, but I’m not sure that’s correct. Combine that with Trouba seeming concerned with getting every dollar, etc.
This is not aimed at you, butt I really dislike folks shitting on players for wanting to get paid. For example towards the end of his time in Colorado people were calling ror greedy bastard and even dubbed him O'Money. That's just f***ing stupid.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Yost saying Collin Miller or Shea Theodore could be part of potential Vegas for Karlsson deal. Also mentioned after July 1 Clrakson becomes a possibility for salary reasons.

I’m sorry but if they get EK for ****, Hexy didn’t do his job. I would be more than willing to take Ryan on for EK. As long as they take salary back. Which could be a Gudas or Macdonald.
I would be disappointed if Ryan indeed became a dealbreaker for Hexy. Especially after the sort of flaming shit he constantly brought in to facilitate trades before, but I really doubt Karlsson is even on his radar. After all his past roster player trades would more than likely suggest someone like Bogosian lol.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I would be disappointed if Ryan indeed became a dealbreaker for Hexy. Especially after the sort of flaming **** he constantly brought in to facilitate trades before, but I really doubt Karlsson is even on his radar. After all his past roster player trades would more than likely suggest someone like Bogosian lol.

Bobby Cherry Hill has 4 years left on his deal at over 7 million a year. There's a big difference between him and the other stop gap deals he's made.

We have hope after reading this today that we may see more kids than we thought on the big club
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=93702

Please don't get my hopes up.:heart:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
if giroux, jake, courturier dont repeat those stats in 2019 season, this team is going to be in trouble. you only have provy, ghost, and patrick to pick it up, that's not going to be enough, simmonds is streaky, there's hardly any elite players in our bottom 6, that's what hurt us this past season, i just dont see how this team will compete with just three players.

Right, the Flyers have only 3 players.

Is there something emotionally satisfying in viewing the most severely negative possible outcome as reality?

Ridiculous commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese