2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
So you decline the chance of having 2 potential #1 dmen just to keep Mete? I'd trade easily trade Mete if it becomes an issue.
I love Mete but 100% agree with you on that one.

Unfortunately, I believe the fact that we already have Mete (undersized PMD) in our top 4 will hinder us from picking a top LD prospect we solely need like Quinn Hughes.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I love Mete but 100% agree with you on that one.

Unfortunately, I believe the fact that we already have Mete (undersized PMD) in our top 4 will hinder us from picking a top LD prospect we solely need like Quinn Hughes.
Mete wouldn't stop me from taking Hughes.... but he'd stop me from taking Hughes AND then trading for a top 10 pick to take Smith.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I know he's not a popular player here, but I'm excited to watch Veleno at the U18s. If we were to get Hughes/Boqvist with our first, I'd like targeting Veleno with that 8-10 pick we could get for Pacioretty.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I know he's not a popular player here, but I'm excited to watch Veleno at the U18s. If we were to get Hughes/Boqvist with our first, I'd like targeting Veleno with that 8-10 pick we could get for Pacioretty.

I was pretty down on him, but I'm about to purchase some drummondville games. Point finale: he's an interesting player, and potentially the top center in the draft. I'm pretty stoked to watch him too.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I was pretty down on him, but I'm about to purchase some drummondville games. Point finale: he's an interesting player, and potentially the top center in the draft. I'm pretty stoked to watch him too.
He has a real chance to break out big time next year. I think in a years time he could be that guy we regret not taking. I really like his smarts, and I think his traits are closer to elite than he gets credit for.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He has a real chance to break out big time next year. I think in a years time he could be that guy we regret not taking. I really like his smarts, and I think his traits are closer to elite than he gets credit for.

The guy you have to compare him with is Kotkaniemi at the U18's. He'll play 1C there again. It could answer a lot of questions.

He's another guy that I just want to draft. He's so feisty, creative, and skilled. Are we really going to pass on a guy with Rantanen level production in his first year of Liiga who might actually be a center?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The guy you have to compare him with is Kotkaniemi at the U18's. He'll play 1C there again. It could answer a lot of questions.

He's another guy that I just want to draft. He's so feisty, creative, and skilled. Are we really going to pass on a guy with Rantanen level production in his first year of Liiga who might actually be a center?
Let's see them on the same ice, I'm not writing off either and really like Kotkaniemi as well. But I do think Veleno is a true C, while Kotkaniemi is likely a winger.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Kotkaniemi has all the tools to be a center and he plays like a center, don't take what he's doing in a mens league as his end potential.

I think there's a decent chance he could end up playing center for Ässät next year. His dad's the head coach and he did take some shifts there early in the year, but it was just too much for him to start.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Thomas reminds me of an all you can do Center in Trochek.
You know what, that's a damn good comparison and now I'm pissed I never thought of it :laugh: . Yeah, his optimal pro upside is pretty much what Trocheck is right now.
I dunno man, that video's kind of a nothing burger.
He's not the spectacular type, highlights don't really do him justice. He's got the puck skills though, especially his hands. I've seen him make great dangles .

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I dunno man, that video's kind of a nothing burger.

Maybe not, but he's usually the best player on the ice by quite a bit, which by itself is impressive considering he was learning his position.

But really, his highlight package might not show it but he really does have a complete skills package. He has the moves and quick hands of a guy who couls project on the top 6, but he's not overly flashy. He's more of a Scheifele type who just gets it done and who you appreciate watching game after game.

He's one-two with Kotkaniemi for me, as far as centers that I'd want this year. There aren't many that I "like" though. Add Wise, Dellandrea and Topping and that's about it.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Shafigullin not even ranked, Noel above Smith, I think we can safely say NHL's central scouting list is trash tier

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
The european skaters list have many interesting players. Since I started following the draft circa 2002, I have never been as intrigued in international players as this year. I expect many steals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad