2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
With Thomas I see great speed, great hustle, a great shot, great playmaking instincts, top notch hands and very good hockey sense. All of this as a first year center in the OHL. He elevated his game in the playoffs as well.

Other than size, I don't see one thing about his game that doesn't say he can't be a 60 pt C.

Reactions: Habs Icing

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Is all of this just because he put up points this year? Because as I showed, as far as primary points are concerned, he's in with the rest of McLeod, Hayton, Dellandrea et al. He just sponged up a bunch of secondary assists from Niagara's PP unit, which runs 5 forwards (Akil playing the point). 4th most PPA in the league, and I'm willing to bet a lot of those were secondary.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Is all of this just because he put up points this year? Because as I showed, as far as primary points are concerned, he's in with the rest of McLeod, Hayton, Dellandrea et al. He just sponged up a bunch of secondary assists from Niagara's PP unit, which runs 5 forwards (Akil playing the point). 4th most PPA in the league, and I'm willing to bet a lot of those were secondary.

Nope. He has all the tools you need and he doesn't fart around on the ice.

It's pretty much night and day if you watch him and Hayton that Thomas is leagues better offensively.

Reactions: Andrei79

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy

People shouldn't treat CHL box scores as primary and secondary assists. I tell people that quite often. The CHL doesn't track points by primary and secondary assists. They are essentially random.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
People shouldn't treat CHL box scores as primary and secondary assists. I tell people that quite often. The CHL doesn't track points by primary and secondary assists. They are essentially random.

This is interesting information. How do you know that they don't track secondary assists?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Pronman has Tkachuk second among NA prospects?

Interesting decision. We know NHL scouts will love him. At least you know he’s a guaranteed NHL player. I will say we are hard on Tkachuk for being a day away from the 2017 NHL draft, but we forget that he’s the second youngest player in the NCAA after Hughes.

I just hope for more consistency from a guy that’s supposed to play a rough and physical style. You don’t want him to be like Latendresse, a player fit to hit and dominate physically but decide he’s more of a finesse player.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
This is interesting information. How do you know that they don't track secondary assists?

I checked for myself. When I was trying to model the progresssion of junior aged hockey players, I picked up all the stats I could and I wanted to check if primary and secondary assists were tracked correctly. Turns out, in most rinks, they are basically random. Some rinks seem to pay attention to it but most don't. It's a rink by rink issue and not a league by league issue.

A lot of people on twitter are using those data erroneously. I told a few them that and they later on checked for themselves and noticed the same pattern.

Reactions: muzion and Andrei79

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I checked for myself. When I was trying to model the progresssion of junior aged hockey players, I picked up all the stats I could and I wanted to check if primary and secondary assists were tracked correctly. Turns out, in most rinks, they are basically random. Some rinks seem to pay attention to it but most don't. It's a rink by rink issue and not a league by league issue.

A lot of people on twitter are using those data erroneously. I told a few them that and they later on checked for themselves and noticed the same pattern.

Interesting, thanks for sharing that info. It's a bit disappointing that the data is crap, though.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I think that Veleno will be draft between 8th to 12th.

We have some chances to slip 7th. Would you pick Veleno at the rank considering that he is a center ?

In a way I am really not sure that that a guy like Evan bouchard for exemple will have a better career than Veleno.

If we pick 7th..Mtl could regret it for a long time to not go with the best center available

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

We have some chances to slip 7th. Would you pick Veleno at the rank considering that he is a center ?

In a way I am really not sure that that a guy like Evan bouchard for exemple will have a better career than Veleno.

If we pick 7th..Mtl could regret it for a long time to not go with the best center available

Just say no to Veleno.

Reactions: le_sean

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

I'd consider it depending on who's available. He plays a fast, skilled game and contributes at both ends. If he could shoot the puck better than simply average, I'd definitely go for him in the top-10. I don't see a #1C, but definitely something around a David Krejci-esque contribution.

I'd take him or Kotkaniemi over a couple of the major boom or bust defenceman.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think Kotkaniemi is playing center at the U18

He will be. It's sort of weird, but at the U20 4 nations he was on the wing, was their leading scorer, but got benched and wasn't invited to WJC training camp. No idea what went down there. But when he came back he was wrecking shop in Liiga. Getting like 5-6 shots per game.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I think Kotkaniemi is playing center at the U18
They'll most likely stick with the same top line at the 5 nations, with Kakko and Nordgren on his wings.

Looking at Sweden's lineup, how is Albin Eriksson not there over guys like Wernblom, Back or Fagemo? Moreso with Hallander now out.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
They'll most likely stick with the same top line at the 5 nations, with Kakko and Nordgren on his wings.

Looking at Sweden's lineup, how is Albin Eriksson not there over guys like Wernblom, Back or Fagemo? Moreso with Hallander now out.

Skellefteå is still in the SHL playoffs. Is Berggren in the lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->