2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Watching the Silvertips again... man is Wyatte Wylie ever good. He just does everything so well. He hits, plays tough along the boards, breaks up passes, he's just everywhere. Reminds me of Tanev. So good in his own end.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I find it hard to get excited about the pick. I'm more on the tank wagon for Bergevins dismissal.

I'm worried this is the year the idiot trades his first for a miracle cure at the deadline to save his job.

Or one of two things will happen
We draft a guy with limited offensive upside
Or we draft someone with skill and develop poorly or trade for short term fix.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Losing Weber for any extended period, could spell no playoffs for the Habs. Drouin/Pacioretty also appear to be playing injured IMHO. If that's the case good luck, puckluck would really be their only chance, Price can only be the difference should any more injuries occur. In which case the Habs would be wise to give their young prospects lots of icetime/experience. If as some here feel the Habs will be picking top ten @ the draft, gaining another 1st round pick through trading and ensuring getting a couple of very good prospects for the near future would be a good plan. Tkachuk(LW) in the top ten, add a 1st round pick in the 15-20 range through trade(possibly get Kotkaneimi(C)) then use our 3 - 2nd round picks to move up for Bokk(RW). This is hoping that at least 1-2 of last year's defencemen draft picks,(As well Juulsen & Lernout develop into NHLers) allowing the Habs to add 3 - 1st round forward prospects with high upsides this year. Dreaming in full 4K Ultra here, opposing teams always seem to collect draft picks this way, why not the Habs trading to find those quality picks. The only other way is signing UFA's, which every other team tries to do, that only drives the salary cap up usually creating a
hole in the lineup somewhere else.

Truly would be nice to see the Habs add a complete line, Tkachuk(LW)-Kotkaneimi(C)-Bokk(RW)[talent, speed & size] all three seem to drive the action when on the ice.

If we can get Bokk with an early second I'd be thrilled. I have a feeling he might be a riser & sneak into being a late first pick. Maybe higher if he goes the Suzuki/Thomas route.

Teams are always looking for offensive players in the 1st round. There's a lot of D so I won't be surprised to see a run on whatever skilled centers & forwards are available in the late teens.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is where I am sitting for my top 10 at the moment.

1. Rasmus Dahlin
2. Andrei Svechnikov
3. Adam Boqvist
4. Quinn Hughes
5. Oliver Wahlstrom
6. Filip Zadina
7. Brady Tkachuk
8. Ty Smith
9. Isaac Lundestrom
10. Rasmus Kupari

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

1. Rasmus Dahlin
2. Andrei Svechnikov
3. Adam Boqvist
4. Quinn Hughes
5. Oliver Wahlstrom
6. Filip Zadina
7. Brady Tkachuk
8. Ty Smith
9. Isaac Lundestrom
10. Rasmus Kupari

It's really important that we hit that top 8 spot with our pick, because that's where the talent dilutes and it becomes a very congested area of players.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

1. Rasmus Dahlin
2. Andrei Svechnikov
3. Adam Boqvist
4. Quinn Hughes
5. Oliver Wahlstrom
6. Filip Zadina
7. Brady Tkachuk
8. Ty Smith
9. Isaac Lundestrom
10. Rasmus Kupari
Not bad ! The only guy I disagree with is Kupari but I totally get why people would have him there . I'd probably put Bouchard or Dobson in his place.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

1. Rasmus Dahlin
2. Andrei Svechnikov
3. Adam Boqvist
4. Quinn Hughes
5. Oliver Wahlstrom
6. Filip Zadina
7. Brady Tkachuk
8. Ty Smith
9. Isaac Lundestrom
10. Rasmus Kupari

Fair to say there's a drop off after 6?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
My top-10 is similar but I like Kotkaniemi a lot more than Kupari and Lundestrom. I like Bokk more than Lundestrom too, but that could change if Lundestrom plays more center. All are in my top-15.

I think the drop off happens after 7.

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3/4. Hughes/Boqvist
5. Zadina
6. Tkachuk
7. Wahlstrom
8. Kotkaniemi
9. Smith
10. Wilde

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My top-10 is similar but I like Kotkaniemi a lot more than Kupari and Lundestrom. I like Bokk more than Lundestrom too, but that could change if Lundestrom plays more center. All are in my top-15.

I think the drop off happens after 7.

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3/4. Hughes/Boqvist
5. Zadina
6. Tkachuk
7. Wahlstrom
8. Kotkaniemi
9. Smith
10. Wilde

Here's why I have Smith in my top, Mitch Brown corroborated what I've seen every time I've watched him.

Top 2018 prospect Ty Smith averages 3.75 dangerous shot contributions/GP, more than double the second best defenceman. In fact, his closest comparables are elite WHL forwards, like M. Phillips (3.75), S. Steel (3.8), J. Halbgewachs (4.3). Crazy.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Here's why I have Smith in my top, Mitch Brown corroborated what I've seen every time I've watched him.

Top 2018 prospect Ty Smith averages 3.75 dangerous shot contributions/GP, more than double the second best defenceman. In fact, his closest comparables are elite WHL forwards, like M. Phillips (3.75), S. Steel (3.8), J. Halbgewachs (4.3). Crazy.

That's an interesting stat forsure, do you think he has more offensive upside than someone like Merkley or Addison? Merkley could put up 80 points in the O this year and I still wouldn't have him in my top-20. It's a really interesting year for CHL d-men with Bouchard, McIsaac, Woo, Dobson, etc all very close to each other. I'm praying we trade Pacioretty for a mid-1st so we can get one of these guys

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That's an interesting stat forsure, do you think he has more offensive upside than someone like Merkley or Addison? Merkley could put up 80 points in the O this year and I still wouldn't have him in my top-20. It's a really interesting year for CHL d-men with Bouchard, McIsaac, Woo, Dobson, etc all very close to each other. I'm praying we trade Pacioretty for a mid-1st so we can get one of these guys

Merkley I wouldn't touch. That guy is f***ed.

I think he has more offensive upside than Addison. But I need to see more of Addison to be more confident in that.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If we're in the top 8 and get one of Dahlin, Svechnikov, Boqvist, Zadina, Hughes, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom or Dobson I'll be happy. Dobson is rocketing up rankings and by the end I bet he's securely in the top 8 or so. Until the lottery I'll be dreaming of Dahlin on our blueline. We need that kind of good news.

Hopefully another 1st comes our way as part of the return for Pacioretty at the deadline or at the draft.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If we're in the top 8 and get one of Dahlin, Svechnikov, Boqvist, Zadina, Hughes, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom or Dobson I'll be happy. Dobson is rocketing up rankings and by the end I bet he's securely in the top 8 or so. Until the lottery I'll be dreaming of Dahlin on our blueline. We need that kind of good news.

Hopefully another 1st comes our way as part of the return for Pacioretty at the deadline or at the draft.

I'm not sure about Dobson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad