2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It's going to entirely depend, for me, on who's in charge of this draft.

If we go into the draft with Bergevin again, well, don't get excited about the lottery pick. It will be moved in some stop gap garbage as he tries to compete in the Price-Weber "window" that he doesn't believe in.
My bet is the pick doesn't get traded. With what looks like a top 7 pick for sure with 3 seconds and potential for more with a Plekanec trade at trade deadline, it would seem to be a good year to stockpile the picks in a strong draft, and there's potential for more picks within the first 3 rounds.

Btw, Bergevin doesn't make the picks, he may have a say in the first pick but the rest is on the amateur scouting team.

Anyone know how that second round is shaping up to be?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My bet is the pick doesn't get traded. With what looks like a top 7 pick for sure with 3 seconds and potential for more with a Plekanec trade at trade deadline, it would seem to be a good year to stockpile the picks in a strong draft, and there's potential for more picks within the first 3 rounds.

Btw, Bergevin doesn't make the picks, he may have a say in the first pick but the rest is on the amateur scouting team.

Anyone know how that second round is shaping up to be?
Theres nice talent. Guys like Kurashev, Olofsson could fall. After 10 theres little thats determined IMO, well know more in the coming months.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Kurashev was really good last year but he's struggling a bit in the Q this year, expected him to take it up a notch. He looks pretty solid in the U20 so far tho.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Hallander's answered any questions that I have of him. Pretty much the only thing I hadn't seen him do was snipe. I've seen it a few times now. He's an all around dangerous offensive player who plays with some serious chutzpah.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Hallander's answered any questions that I have of him. Pretty much the only thing I hadn't seen him do was snipe. I've seen it a few times now. He's an all around dangerous offensive player who plays with some serious chutzpah.
Seems to me he's got good defensive play to boot. I don't think he's super physical. Maybe Zetterberg as a stylistic comparison?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Seems to me he's got good defensive play to boot. I don't think he's super physical. Maybe Zetterberg as a stylistic comparison?

He's physical enough. Especially against opposing goalies lol. At the 5 nations tournament he was a total bulldog on the puck. Opposing players were just giving it to him after a while.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Hopefully we will finish bottom 5 and get a top 5 pick.

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Boqvist
4. Tkachuk
5. Zadina

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
An almost perfect night for the tank as Buffalo, Ottawa, and Detroit all win. Would've been nice if Edmonton hung on to beat Chicago

Right now we would pick 5th overall

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I see this 2018 draft as a potential turning point, especially with those 4 top 60 picks. And I hope at some point someone will see the light and get some more.

But I also thought 2012 and 2013 would be turning points too.

Cause I believed in that management group.

Now, I'm only scared they'll screw everything up, by trading some of those picks for whatever 'chance' we have to get into playoffs (really hope Molson isn't a total stump here and blocks whatever picks MB would trade), or by screwing these kids development...

for me it's hard to get excited when we have Lefebvre and his staff in the AHL, the NHL coaching staff not handling some players that well, management making some very questionable moves in regards to rushing 19/20 year olds to the NHL when they aren't ready and some of the support staff that while i don't know what impact they really have, I don't feel so confident in guys like Martin Lapoint, Churla, etc... The only guy I don't mind out of the group is Timmins because he's shown he can draft talent in the past and while I would be all for someone better, it doesn't mean the next guy will do a better job.

We heard all the bitching and moaning about what a terrible coach/person MT was, but have we really gone that far forward with CJ? Maybe next time don't hire any more coaches that have already been fired by the Habs although if you only hire by the language they speak I guess it's bound to happen. Can't wait to be on this board in 5+ years from now for MT part III the reckoning. First he threw toenail clippings and farted loudly, now he's back to get DD enshired in the rafters along with Franky Bouillon as he 2 newest assistant coaches. Now with improved French.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Hopefully we will finish bottom 5 and get a top 5 pick.

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Boqvist
4. Tkachuk
5. Zadina
It's looking more and more like this draft has a clear top three of Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina. Tkachuk, Boqvist have fallen behind since the year begun.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What makes you say this?

Yeah, I don't see how Tkachuk or Boqvist's stocks would have fallen at all.

The falling stocks are guys like McIsaac (who I still like but he's more of a second pairing, all around guy without any flashing tools), Veleno, Merkley.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
We have 4 picks in the first two rounds. Should be interesting.

I saw some clips of Rasmus Kapuri. He’s a big Finnish Center with lots of speed. Should be a top 10 pick.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We have 4 picks in the first two rounds. Should be interesting.

I saw some clips of Rasmus Kapuri. He’s a big Finnish Center with lots of speed. Should be a top 10 pick.

Yep, Kupari is nice, but I'm not sure he'll be BPA when we pick. Can't let the center thing get in the way of our drafting.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm aboard the tank. I don't think this franchise is in some terrible state, but this season is definitely a disaster. I wouldn't be against moving Price/Weber/Pacioretty at all. I think we have some really nice young pieces and prospects though, and a big draft (top 5 pick and 3 2nds?) could get us back on track.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
As much as I'm done with MB, I think he's drafted pretty well on the whole. Especially the last two.

His first round picks beside McCarron are all looking really good. Probably the best string of 1st rounders we've had by any regime for as far as I can remember.

I hate to say it but--gulp--I kind of hope he's the one doing the drafting. Flame away.

Why are you done with Bergevin if you think that overall the draft was good under him? Some are blaming him for his major trades (Weber, Drouin, Shaw), but the the team would not be better right now with Subban, Sergachev and second round picks from 2016 (do not cherry pick). We would not be cup contenders either with Markov and Emelin. I just hope that Bergevin and Molson will not try to save this season with short term moves and that we will go for an historic draft in 2018. Imagine adding at least one more first rounder and two or three more in the second round. Our draft expertise is our biggest strength. Picking 8 times in the top-60 could turn this franchise around given the good young assets we already have. I will be done with Molson if he asks Bergevin to just do a patching job.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
One sorta under the radar guy that has caught my attention more and more at the WJC is Filip Kral. Stive Morgan mentioned him a few time before but now that I've seen the kid a bit more I notice a lot of things I like in his game. He's a '' does everything well'' dman with some upside, definitely a second round option to keep in mind.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
One sorta under the radar guy that has caught my attention more and more at the WJC is Filip Kral. Stive Morgan mentioned him a few time before but now that I've seen the kid a bit more I notice a lot of things I like in his game. He's a '' does everything well'' dman with some upside, definitely a second round option to keep in mind.

Hronek seems like a decent comparable for him, 2nd rounder in 2016

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've been so focused on the tank for a high 1st rounder that I haven't looked into 2nd round prospects at all yet. Who do you guys like as 2nd rounders assuming we have a pick in the mid-30s, mid-40s (CHI) and mid-50s (WAS)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad