2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Buffalo, Arizona and Florida will probably finish lower than us, but we're in the mix with Vancouver, Detroit, Ottawa, Edmonton and Colorado. We could realistically be drafting 4th.

I understand the need for a center but this is just not the year for them. Lots of high quality D's and wingers this year. We cant skip on talent if we have a top 5 pick just to get a center and right now, I would take all of these players before Tkachuk. Both Zadina and Svechnikov are better offensively than Tkachuk and Boqvist is an offensive puck moving RHD and is only overshadowed because Dahlin is just a notch above everyone else in this draft.

Tkachuk would be my 6th overall. I gave the edge to Wahlstrom over Tkachuk even though I think he has a better overall game. Wahlstrom is more of a scorer than a playmaker and this team needs more of that.

1-Dahlin
2-Zadina
3-Svechnikov
4-Boqvist
5-Wahlstrom
6-Tkachuk

Zadina 2nd... wow! I think it's wide open after Dahlin. I watch Zadina play a lot and he's good. He's also playing on a very talented young team in the mooseheads too. I think I would love Tkachuk but I am not sure I would take him 2nd though. I think we might see trades this year as the talent is deep but it's anybodies guess at the order of who goes next after Dahlin

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Losing Weber for any extended period, could spell no playoffs for the Habs. Drouin/Pacioretty also appear to be playing injured IMHO. If that's the case good luck, puckluck would really be their only chance, Price can only be the difference should any more injuries occur. In which case the Habs would be wise to give their young prospects lots of icetime/experience. If as some here feel the Habs will be picking top ten @ the draft, gaining another 1st round pick through trading and ensuring getting a couple of very good prospects for the near future would be a good plan. Tkachuk(LW) in the top ten, add a 1st round pick in the 15-20 range through trade(possibly get Kotkaneimi(C)) then use our 3 - 2nd round picks to move up for Bokk(RW). This is hoping that at least 1-2 of last year's defencemen draft picks,(As well Juulsen & Lernout develop into NHLers) allowing the Habs to add 3 - 1st round forward prospects with high upsides this year. Dreaming in full 4K Ultra here, opposing teams always seem to collect draft picks this way, why not the Habs trading to find those quality picks. The only other way is signing UFA's, which every other team tries to do, that only drives the salary cap up usually creating a
hole in the lineup somewhere else.

Truly would be nice to see the Habs add a complete line, Tkachuk(LW)-Kotkaneimi(C)-Bokk(RW)[talent, speed & size] all three seem to drive the action when on the ice.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
I agree that it's somewhat wide open after Dahlin, but I would be shocked if Svechnikov is not picked 2nd unless a team REALLY thinks highly of Boqvist
You'd have to think that if a team like Buffalo draft 2nd, Boqvist would be highly considered.

We need goal scorers, centers and LHD.

If we pick in the top 5, Zadina and Svechnikov are atm much better options than Tkachuk, Walhstrom, or Boqvist
If we pick between 5-10 then I would consider of those 3 guys, along with Hughes (LHD), Smith (LHD) and Veleno (C)

there;s also Wilde, Dobson, Kupari, Thomas, McIsaac and Farabee who could be options if we draft around the 10th spot.

We all no Dahlin is going #1 but as you said, its wide open after that

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Top 10 based on averages of Button, McKenzie and Sportsnet

1. Rasmus Dahlin 1.00
2. Andrei Svechnikov 2.33
3. Adam Boqvist 3.33
4. Brady Thachuk 4.00
5. Filip Zadina 5.00
6. Quinn Hughes 6.66
7. Bode Wilde 8.66
8. Rasmus Kupari 9.30
9. Oliver Wahlstrom 11.60
10. Joe Veleno 12.00

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
You'd have to think that if a team like Buffalo draft 2nd, Boqvist would be highly considered.

If we pick in the top 5, Zadina and Svechnikov are atm much better options than Tkachuk, Walhstrom, or Boqvist
If we pick between 5-10 then I would consider of those 3 guys, along with Hughes (LHD), Smith (LHD) and Veleno (C)

there;s also Wilde, Dobson, Kupari, Thomas, McIsaac and Farabee who could be options if we draft around the 10th spot.

Habs biggest strength in the dynasty yrs. was everywhere, this teams biggest weakness is through center, IMHO. Perhaps Khovanov(LHC) then Veleno(LHC) & Jack McBain(LHC) would solve that weakness and provide strength on the wings, always easier to convert a center to the wings. If the Habs picked 1st OV then go for Rasmus Dahlin with Shea Weber -Dynamite for offence.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

I'd take Boqvist ahead of Zadina and Tkachuk, regardless of needs.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I've had Wahlstrom in my top 5 all year.

Veleno isn't getting picked anywhere near the top 10, Zadina is a stud tho. Dobson is also a stud, depending on where he gets picked Beaudin could be a massive steal, Xavier Bernard is a steal after the 3rd.

The dub has garbage forwards this year but great dmen. Among their forwards Fonstad looks good but he's more of a late 2nd~3rd round pick. Woo and Smith are the real deal tho, Kral is very underrated and so is Alexeyev. Addison bit overrated.

From the O Bouchard is great, Merkley has a lot of upside but he's a riskier pick. McShane also has steal potential (2nd +).

This is definitely the year of the dmen, there will be over 15 dmen picked in the 1st round. I'm a bit sad that people are starting to talk about Dobson, the less exposure he has the better. Woo/Bouchard/Smith are all dmen that have top pairing potential.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
One thing that is striking me more and more is that this could turn out to be a very small top 15-20 size wise. There's a few exceptions obviously but a lot of the top talent is on the small to average side. There's a real shift on how small D-man used to be evaluated in particular.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
does he project more as a winger or center?

I think he can play the middle.

He's got all the tools. The knock has always been that he plays too much on the perimeter, but I'm seeing a lot less of that this year. Its not perfect but its gotten a lot better. The kid is improving all the time.

He's more of a centre to me than say Tkachuk, who i think will be a winger.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Denisenko and Farabee were both in our top 10 in November fyi. Farabee has been in our top 10 since our inititial 2018 rankings last May. Denisenko we had him #10 before the WJAC.
I meant in a general sense, both have had a lot of momentum recently. They've been rising on most list and seeing you guys rankings yesterday kinda highlighted that in my mind.

Jethlan

Apr 3, 2017
RDP
I think he can play the middle.

He's got all the tools. The knock has always been that he plays too much on the perimeter, but I'm seeing a lot less of that this year. Its not perfect but its gotten a lot better. The kid is improving all the time.

He's more of a centre to me than say Tkachuk, who i think will be a winger.
I also salivate at the thought of drafting him but out of curiosity who do you project to be better going forward between him and Mittelstasdt?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I also salivate at the thought of drafting him but out of curiosity who do you project to be better going forward between him and Mittelstasdt?

I'd put mittelstadt ahead, but I was real high on Mittelstadt.

We ranked him 4th in our final rankings last year.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Lack of actual viewings makes it hard for me to really put Wahlstrom into perspective, while I've seen Tkachuk a bunch of times this year (and will get to see him some more at the WJC) . I really think the latter's game will translate real easy to the pros, similar to the way his brother's did. I wouldn't disregard him because his skills aren't ''flashy'' . That said, we DO need some flash in our roster in a bad way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad