2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Lack of actual viewings makes it hard for me to really put Wahlstrom into perspective, while I've seen Tkachuk a bunch of times this year (and will get to see him some more at the WJC) . I really think the latter's game will translate real easy to the pros, similar to the way his brother's did. I wouldn't disregard him because his skills aren't ''flashy'' . That said, we DO need some flash in our roster in a bad way.

Have you watched his 5 nations games?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Is Dahlin on same page as other Swedish stars like Sundin?
Different position and era so it's hard to compare them. You could argue Dahlin was a more precocious talent and did better as a 15-16-17 year old than Sundin did. He's as good a young player as I've ever seen in the SHL but there's still a lot of areas where he could improve and get even better so who knows ?

Last edited:

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
If the habs were to be so lucky as to pick top 3 but not first overall would it be smarter to pick best best player available(even if it is a winger) or trade down or up to get a great defender or centerman in the spot they should be taken perhaps. I haven't really followed the draft this year but it feels like we could be in a weird spot depending on where we pick.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Next year, our only forward prospects not in the ahl/nhl are Poehling and Ikonen
So I think in this draft we will focus more on picking forwards

I know the 1st round will be deep in defensemen, but what about the other rounds?

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
If the habs were to be so lucky as to pick top 3 but not first overall would it be smarter to pick best best player available(even if it is a winger) or trade down or up to get a great defender or centerman in the spot they should be taken perhaps. I haven't really followed the draft this year but it feels like we could be in a weird spot depending on where we pick.

BPA for me at the moment is:

1. Dahlin
2. Hughes
3. Boqvist
4. Wahlstrom

Any of these 4 players on our team would fit a need in 1-2-3 year time frame.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Next year, our only forward prospects not in the ahl/nhl are Poehling and Ikonen
So I think in this draft we will focus more on picking forwards

I know the 1st round will be deep in defensemen, but what about the other rounds?

Pretty weak year for forwards, that said a few good NA forwards outside the 1st are: (a lot of players mixed in, theres 2nd rounders as well as midd/late rounders)

McShane, Nathan Dunkley, Cole Fonstad, Matej Pekar, Curtis Hall, Benoit-Olivier Groulx, Alexander Steeves, Serron Noel, Blade Jenkins, Dmitri Zavgorodny, Matthew Grouchy, Cedric Desruisseaux, Riley Sutter, Ryan Chyzowski, Kody Clark, Ty Dellandrea, Connor Roberts

That list has a few hidden gems but a lot of those prospects are just value picks, like they're just players you can't pass up on if you see them still available later on in the draft. This year scouts are really gonna have to dig through the EU prospects to find good hidden gem forwards. NA is stacked with dmen this year tho.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
BPA for me at the moment is:

1. Dahlin
2. Hughes
3. Boqvist
4. Wahlstrom

Any of these 4 players on our team would fit a need in 1-2-3 year time frame.

Lol, Svechnikov not in your top 4 ? Cmon.

Dahlin, Svechnikov, Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Hughes is how Id rank them as for BPA.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Dahlin
Svech
Zadina
Boqvist
Wahlstrom
Hughes

is how I have them. Let's not overthink Zadina. He's a killer.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Dahlin
Svech
Zadina
Boqvist
Wahlstrom
Hughes

is how I have them. Let's not overthink Zadina. He's a killer.

He'd be just after Hughes. Talented as puck, but he's not the fastest out there, relies on his hands a lot and he's a winger.

Reminds me a lot of Galchenyuk and while I love Chuck, I'm thinking we need to target faster players.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He'd be just after Hughes. Talented as puck, but he's not the fastest out there, relies on his hands a lot and he's a winger.

Reminds me a lot of Galchenyuk and while I love Chuck, I'm thinking we need to target faster players.

He must be the strongest skater that I've ever heard skating concerns about. I think he relies on his smarts more than his hands, to be honest. He's got a Boeser vibe to me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He must be the strongest skater that I've ever heard skating concerns about. I think he relies on his smarts more than his hands, to be honest. He's got a Boeser vibe to me.
He was sluggish every time i saw. Same as Galchenyuk. Chuck is not a bad skater, he just likes to slow the pace down and he's not explosive. Not sure thats the most effective way to play in the nhl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad