2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
No, I put stock in how a player plays. You said production doesn't matter but then use the WJC which is an incredibly small sample.. to say Zadina is better? Also a prospects game?

How does Zadina score in more ways? He scores in two ways. And who's the more talent Svechs teams? The Moose had Somppi, Fortier, Barron, Parent, McIsaac Groulx Lavoie. Two NHL prospects, Barron and Lavoie who will be very high picks. Parent who will be a NHL draft pick. Groulx and Mcisaac who I may not be huge fans of will be first and second round picks.

Svech is better than Zadina. He can score in more ways than Zadina. he's more dynamic and he's flat out better. It's not debatable.
You guys aren't following, but I'm only bringing up the WJC as an example of how production can be a flawed science. Zadina had guys to play with, but it is quite clear that Svechnikov benefited from a situation that had more chemistry, after the Colts acquired Luchuk that line was unstoppable which boosted Svechnikovs production... Both are highly skilled goal scorers, but Zadina has shown more ability to score ugly... tipping pucks, going to the net and potting garbage etc... in terms of yearly goal totals, those goals add up- particularly in the NHL where pretty goals are hard to come by.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
You guys aren't following, but I'm only bringing up the WJC as an example of how production can be a flawed science. Zadina had guys to play with, but it is quite clear that Svechnikov benefited from a situation that had more chemistry, after the Colts acquired Luchuk that line was unstoppable which boosted Svechnikovs production... Both are highly skilled goal scorers, but Zadina has shown more ability to score ugly... tipping pucks, going to the net and potting garbage etc... in terms of yearly goal totals, those goals add up- particularly in the NHL where pretty goals are hard to come by.
Like I have previously mentioned, Svechnikov was a goal per game before Luchuk arrived.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

It's not clear at all. Svechnikov scored 10 goals in 10 games before Luchuk arrived, which has been pointed out to you before, but you just can't help yourself around L's: like a fat kid on cake.

What familiar faces are you talking about on Barrie? Lipanov? Please tell me you're referring to Lipanov.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Doesn't it bother anybody that the Kotkaniemi, the long-awaited centerman that we are picking over several more highly rated wingers and defensemen, played on the wing for the entire season last year. Sounds like another "centerman of the future" we picked 3OA not so long ago.

Have you watched him play? If not, see if you can watch some of the U18 games. He played the wing in Finlands top league as a 17 year old. Just playing in that league is impressive, but he excelled and got stronger as the year went on. At the U18's he was the top C and really impressed. He definitely looks like a C to me. I think most people agree, but there are some people that have some doubts.

The thing is that playing C in the NHL is very hard even for players that have played C their whole junior career. Kotkienemi plays a very complete game and already does a lot of the things that NHL C's are expected to do like battle for position and get back on D. I think the people that have doubts are worried that he might not be strong enough in the NHL. It looks like he will be playing C in Finland next year.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
This would indictate that most of you have heard it.

Interesting that Kotkaniemi is likely 3rd overall for his (Bob's) list.

I don't think he went as far as to say Kotkaniemi is 3 on his list now, or that Zadina was dropping out of the top 5, just that multiple scouts that he polled had JK at 3, and Zadina out of 5. What a bombshell that would be, though, if he's 3 on Bob's list lol.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
I don't think he went as far as to say Kotkaniemi is 3 on his list now, or that Zadina was dropping out of the top 5, just that multiple scouts that he polled had JK at 3, and Zadina out of 5. What a bombshell that would be, though, if he's 3 on Bob's list lol.
Wouldn't be surprising to most of us. Hopefully it would shut up certain people on this board who are just looking at stats and scouts opinions though.

Reactions: NoQuinn

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I hope we can grab Albin Eriksson somewhere in the second round. A big right-handed winger, massive, good skatrr with offensive tools.

He's so much fun to watch. He has some serious moves for being 6'4 205. Like a more polished Ostap Safin. Total puck thief too.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Indeed. I didn't mean to word it that Kotkaniemi was for sure 3rd on his list, but that hint...

Either way. As a noob, id be fine with it. Him, obviously Zadina and either Boqvist/Hughes. Slight favouritism towards Hughes..

When we were 5 I was looking at Wahlstrom. His shot is so lethal.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Its pick 35, you walk up to the stage and you have three choices

Jonathan Berggren
AlexAlex
Other

Who is ur boi

@NotProkofievian
@WeThreeKings
@G0bias
@Habs76
@DramaticGloveSave
@The Great Schlemko
@MarkovsKnee
Well, that kinda depends on who's available
Dellandrea, Miller, Bernard-Docker, Ylonen, Foudy, O'Brien are some of my favorites. A couple of them (namely Dellandrea, Miller) would need to fall a bit.

In order:
K'Andre Miller
Jacob Bernard-Docker
Ty Dellandrea
Liam Foudy
Jesse Ylonen
Jay O'Brien

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Indeed. I didn't mean to word it that Kotkaniemi was for sure 3rd on his list, but that hint...

Either way. As a noob, id be fine with it. Him, obviously Zadina and either Boqvist/Hughes. Slight favouritism towards Hughes..

When we were 5 I was looking at Wahlstrom. His shot is so lethal.

Love Wahl-e.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I sae he is already at 210. Kid's gonna be strong soon enough.

He's not ragdolling fools, at least not that I've seen, but having learned an important lesson from McCarron, it's really important that he be highly skilled and a good skater. I never saw McCarron walk through a team to set up a tap-in for a linemate. Ever. Seen Albin do it, though.

Reactions: CapSpace

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
2018 NHL Mock Draft | 2018 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

If the second round was top be similar to this. Who would be your two picks with the 35 and 38 ?
Woo, Tychonick, Beaudin or Addison ?
Oloffson, Foudy or Hallander ?

Other ?

That's not a bad draft.

I like Woo. I'd take Hallander, McLaughlin or Foudy before Olofsson though. It would be tough to pass on Drury at the Fonstad pick. And I'd take Regula before Johansson for the last pick of the round, but that's a decent draft.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I am quire sure that pick is going to be Tkaczuk. He is a Bergs kind of player and can play now. Similar to Domi trade. Good skater, hard nosed. Kotkaniemi I doubt it is. Centers at 18 are just too far away. They usually take longer to mature. Unless you are a McDavid, and he certainly isn't. You are looking at 2 years, more likely 3 years. Bergs is going to be looking for help now, he is not going to be here in 3 years if he doesn't get help now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad