Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Yeah, but we don't get these matchups either.

Hyman last season in Toronto: 1 point in 7 games
Hyman first season in Edmonton: 16 points in 16GP

You can't tell me that's just his season over season improvement. The easier matchups go a long way for pumping stats in the first round or 2.
He was playing injured vs the Habs. He also played with a damaged ACL vs the Bruins in '19.

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021
The Avalanche are simply the class of the league when they use their high-end explosive speed to overwhelm and overpower teams. Right now Only Vegas and Florida are as explosive. It’s Just beautiful and entertaining to watch when these three teams accelerate and go into high gear. When they sense blood, they become even more focused and take the next level and go for the kill immediately . They have a natural killer instinct. They seize the moment.

The way they transition the puck from defense to offense is crazy. Their zone entries, forechecks and territorial gains are Crisp, effective, simple clean, powerful and quick.

After Vegas/florida/colorado, the Hurricanes, Lightning and rangers are in the next tier of speedy transition teams.

The leafs/bruins are so slow, boring, and plodding compared to them.

Our leafs defense corps is slow, plodding and bad at puck moving and generating offense from the backend. They can’t initiate offense raids, create oddman Rushes, make quick and effective zone entries, maintain forecheck, gain territory, keep the puck in the zone and overwhelm the opposition because they lack offensive flair/instincts/anticipation and speed. And they can’t score goals (except Reilly) because they can’t shoot. They don’t have good shots. Their shots are inaccurate and lack timing/power/precision. Reilly and maybe McCabe are the only ones on that blueline that can shoot and score goals from the point and from the faceoff area.

Last edited:

torontoblood

May 27, 2021
Oilers going to get to another conference finals by the looks of it ugh.
Kings were the third best defensive team in the league this season, they were third in goals against. They allowed the third fewest amount of goals this year with 215.

They were a very good team on the penalty kill. They were the fifth best team in the league at killing penalties, with 210. They had the second best PK percentage in the league with 84.6%

As a team, they also had the 4th best save percentage in the league (SV%) with a team SV% of .909

Cam Talbot, their starting goaltender had a very respectable record this season: in 54 games played, he was 27-20-7 with a SV% of .913 and a GAA statistic of 2.50. He pitched three shutouts. Decent statistics in a high scoring season like this year.

They are overall a very good defensive minded team. They play within their strengths. But their strong team defense goes to waste because of lack of discipline, they take too many penalties and predictably, they can’t find ways to stop this very productive oilers powerplay stacked with generational elite talent.

Last edited:

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Hyman with the Leafs in the Playoffs: 32 GP, 5 G, 8 A

Hyman with the Oilers so far in the playoffs: 31 GP, 20 G, 14 A.

I know a lot of it is on our players, but our coaching staff also don’t know how to play offense in the playoffs. It’s like they don’t adjust their system for the decrease in space and time.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Hyman with the Leafs in the Playoffs: 32 GP, 5 G, 8 A

Hyman with the Oilers so far in the playoffs: 31 GP, 20 G, 14 A.

I know a lot of it is on our players, but our coaching staff also don’t know how to play offense in the playoffs. It’s like they don’t adjust their system for the decrease in space and time.

The Kings get lit up every playoffs. The Oilers set up historic records against the Kings before losing in the second round (or getting swept in the third) every season:

2022 playoffs:
Evander Kane: 7 goals in 7 games

2023 playoffs:
Draisaitl: 7 goals in 6 games

2024:
Hyman: 6 goals in 3 games
McDavid: 3 goals in 3 games

Now either the Oilers have 4 of the greatest playoff players of all-time, or they're facing a very weak team they match up really well around. I'm going with the latter because scoring always dries up when they play another team - although this year may be different because they are gifted either Nashville or Vancouver without Demko in the second round.

If Vegas didn't have half their team on LTIR - the Kings would be the 8th seed in the West.

horner

May 22, 2007
The Kings get lit up every playoffs. The Oilers set up historic records against the Kings before losing in the second round (or getting swept in the third) every season:

2022 playoffs:
Evander Kane: 7 goals in 7 games

2023 playoffs:
Draisaitl: 7 goals in 6 games

2024:
Hyman: 6 goals in 3 games
McDavid: 3 goals in 3 games

Now either the Oilers have 4 of the greatest playoff players of all-time, or they're facing a very weak team they match up really well around. I'm going with the latter because scoring always dries up when they play another team - although this year may be different because they are gifted either Nashville or Vancouver without Demko in the second round.

If Vegas didn't have half their team on LTIR - the Kings would be the 8th seed in the West.
The goaltenders and defence on the west sucks

Saros is great
Halibuck sucks right now
Skinner average
Vegas goalie average
Ottenger average
colorado goalie garbage
Talbot garbage

Let them play our division
Bob
Swayman.
Ullmark
Vasi

Then you have
Shesterkin
Anderson
Islanders goalie

Only saros is on the same level

Sammy is better then most of the west goaltenders

Also vastly superior defensive teams innour division teams

Colorado vs Winnipeg every seam is open
Vegas and Dallas are the only 2 teams that are like Boston and Florida, TBay the previous yrs

We also hade to beat Price.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Looks like Colorado has found their mojo.

I didn’t expect the Preds would win the series, but they’ve got to pick up the pace and score on those gifted PPs.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Kings were the third best defensive team in the league this season, they were third in goals against. They allowed the third fewest amount of goals this year with 215.

They were a very good team on the penalty kill. They were the fifth best team in the league at killing penalties, with 210. They had the second best PK percentage in the league with 84.6%

As a team, they also had the 4th best save percentage in the league (SV%) with a team SV% of .909

Cam Talbot, their starting goaltender had a very respectable record this season: in 54 games played, he was 27-20-7 with a SV% of .913 and a GAA statistic of 2.50. He pitched three shutouts. Decent statistics in a high scoring season like this year.

They are overall a very good defensive minded team. They play within their strengths. But their strong team defense goes to waste because of lack of discipline, they take too many penalties and predictably, they can’t find ways to stop this very productive oilers powerplay stacked with generational elite talent.
Don't waste your time. The narrative here is thatcthe Oilers suck and the Kings are garbage.

Meanwhile, I am closeto selling my soul to see the Leafschave a 6 goal outburst

Reactions: torontoblood

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
1714226130288.png

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Imagine paying 8 million dollars for a functioning Pejorative Slur like Hellysuck in your net. Most overrated goalie in the NHL.

This is why when posters say they need to find a legit goalie and pay up for one.. it's a fallacy. Goalies are wildly inconsistent, especially these days. Save for a few elites.

I'm always weary about shelling out big bucks for a goalie.

torontoblood

May 27, 2021
Don't waste your time. The narrative here is thatcthe Oilers suck and the Kings are garbage.

Meanwhile, I am closeto selling my soul to see the Leafschave a 6 goal outburst
Seeing the rest of the playoff teams this postseason scoring powerplay goals at will and with ease makes me jealous. Both the oilers and avalanche won their games last night on the powerplay. They scored when they had the opportunities to do it and didn’t waste any of them.

On paper, the leafs have the talent to be deadly on the powerplay. But execution, creativity, and chemistry issues prevent the leafs to be productive on the PP. We also lack a powerplay quarterback defenseman with great vision, great playmaking abilities and a great shot running things smoothly. I wish we had a Cale Makar or Adam Fox on our roster right now. Or a Nicklas Lidstrom/Andrei Markov/Tomas Kaberle clone.

Last edited:
Reactions: weems and Jojalu

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This is why when posters say they need to find a legit goalie and pay up for one.. it's a fallacy. Goalies are wildly inconsistent, especially these days. Save for a few elites.

I'm always weary about shelling out big bucks for a goalie.

Definitely a strange sentiment that I keep seeing. The number of clutch star goalies is pretty small in this league.

It seems more it's better to have a couple guys who are stable and capable. The problem with leaf's goaltending in recent years isn't that they haven't spent money, especially last year they were almost spending 6 million on goalies. Its that the guys they've chosen for the role just haven't been up to the task. It's finding the goalie that's the problem, not money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz and Jojalu

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Definitely a strange sentiment that I keep seeing. The number of clutch star goalies is pretty small in this league.

It seems more it's better to have a couple guys who are stable and capable. The problem with leaf's goaltending in recent years isn't that they haven't spent money, especially last year they were almost spending 6 million on goalies. Its that the guys they've chosen for the role just haven't been up to the task. It's finding the goalie that's the problem, not money.
They spent 6 mil on two reclamation projects. One, an injury riddled goalie who hasn't been good in years in Murray, and the other on a guy who wasn't even qualified by his team and shown he's exactly who we thought he was, an inconsistent mess ill-fitting to be a starter.

I'm tired of going down this path. Dumpster diving for goaltending than acting surprised when we can't win when we're going up against Vezina candidates in the playoffs, especially when this team struggles to score as is. It's insanity to me.

While not a hard rule, you generally get what you pay for at the end of the day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad