2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Here I was complaining about Smurfville 2.0 earlier & I'd take Berggren over Alex Alex, but only because I don't think Alex is going to have much of an offensive game at the NHL level otherwise I like him a lot too.

Of course, if others thought Alex squared could produce offensively at the NHL level he'd be ranked a lot higher.

Alex has top 4 defensive D potential. Tough to play against etc., etc. But Berggren plays like Gallagher (not a perimeter player, willingness to go to the net) except with vision, passing skills & terrific puck control skills. Fantastic speed too. He has top 6 upside for sure. He could wind up as an Arvidsson type (who was taken in the 4th round).

Go with the guy with the higher upside & who can be an offensive contributor. Defensive D are a lot easier to draft then scoring forwards, which is why D fall & scoring forwards get taken early in most drafts.

Also, no way either is there at 35. I'd be shocked. Take the one that is there.
I really think AlexAlex has some really good tools offensively. His shot alone will make him a contributor.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Also his oft times partner, Dawson Barteaux, who WTK mentioned from the black book is not bad. He can't hang with Alexeyev defensively but he can run a PP and has a plus shot. Would be worth a look if we had a 6th/7th.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I really think AlexAlex has some really good tools offensively. His shot alone will make him a contributor.

He's a late birthday too. He's 19 November something, so he's got one more year of junior.

Berggren is still 17. I want forwards with high upside, speed & skill, which he has.

I think it's all moot anyway. Both should go 1st round. No way Alex gets by Buffalo or Detroit at 32 & 33 if he's still there 2nd day.

Depending how many teams towards the end of the 1st draft D, maybe Berggren is there at 35.

Who would you pick? And, why these 2 players?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I'm just trying to figure out why Berggren didn't get invited for the combine. Really curious where he ends up on Bob's list.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's a late birthday too. He's 19 November something, so he's got one more year of junior.

Berggren is still 17. I want forwards with high upside, speed & skill, which he has.

I think it's all moot anyway. Both should go 1st round. No way Alex gets by Buffalo or Detroit at 32 & 33 if he's still there 2nd day.

Depending how many teams towards the end of the 1st draft D, maybe Berggren is there at 35.

Who would you pick? And, why these 2 players?
Theyre my two favorite players in the draft with KotK. I have both of them in my top 20 solidly. Just wondering who prefers who and why.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Liam Kirk was there no? He's not in their top 30. I thought teams had more say nowadays in who they wanted to see.
Yup. Seems like he was an exception from this. Maybe teams wanted to hear from him first-hand what his plans are since he was playing in the EIHL. But that was the reason Berggren wasn't there at the combine. I read somewhere that a few scouts were surprised he wasn't there too.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Yup. Seems like he was an exception from this. Maybe teams wanted to hear from him first-hand what his plans are since he was playing in the EIHL. But that was the reason Berggren wasn't there at the combine. I read somewhere that a few scouts were surprised he wasn't there too.
Makes sense. Thanks.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Theyre my two favorite players in the draft with KotK. I have both of them in my top 20 solidly. Just wondering who prefers who and why.

Realistically, I don't see us getting either. We'd need to get a second 1st rder in which case I'd draft Alex 1st.

For 2 reasons: Sutter has come out strongly on how much he loves the kid. That kind of reference goes a long way in the NHL. And, he plays a NA style game, has good balance in his game & has good mobility period (and not just for his size).

He's a really "low risk" pick.

Because of all that, he's more likely to be drafted early rather than later. Someone like McIsaac may fall, but I don't see Alex falling past #32 & may go much earlier, whereas Berggren as a smaller European could slip to 35.

So we'd need another 1st to claim Alex then hope Berggren is still there at 35.

If Alex is there at 35, I fully expect Montreal to take him unless you believe the "hating Russians" thing.

I personally would take Berggren because I think he has higher upside, but he also isn't "low risk" either.

But, if we're talking Montreal, they definitely take Alex & I wouldn't hate it.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Thats a tough one but in my opinion it depends on who we take at 3. If we take a D at 3 then I'd prob take Berggren but if we take Zad or Kotka then I'd prob take AlexAlex.

Both would represent big fallers on my list at 35. I may be inclined to take AlexAlex at 35 and gamble of Berggren being there at 38. Would be so pissed if he were picked 37th, though.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If Patch is traded for 10th pick and Kotka is selected 3rd, who would you take ?

Personally hoping for a LD

Ty Smith would be the LD then & that's a great pick. It would be tough to pass on Wahlstrom if he was there and he could be. Dobson could be there too & he's a RD or Boqvist also RD.

Reactions: jayhabsvgk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad