2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Doesn't it bother anybody that the Kotkaniemi, the long-awaited centerman that we are picking over several more highly rated wingers and defensemen, played on the wing for the entire season last year. Sounds like another "centerman of the future" we picked 3OA not so long ago.
Timmins achilles heel is offensive players and centers in particulars. He has led 15 drafts, name me a center he got? Out of 108 picks? Should be telling you something. The most important position in the game. No wonder last 10 years Habs couldn't score

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
3. Kotkaniemi
4. Wahlstrom
5. Zadina
6. Boqvist
7. Dobson
8. Hughes
9. Kravtsov
10. Tkachuk
11. Smith
12. Berggren
13. Farabee
14. Alexeyev
15. Bouchard

yup
Ty Smith I would like to draft. Reminds me of Morgan Reilly. Can skate, move the puck and plays with heart. If I am looking at a defenseman for todays game....those are 3 things to fall in love with. Besides, he can play now slotted along side Weber.

Smith could go onto better career than Hughes. Notice Hughes didn't go to combine while others with less to prove like Dobson(after Memorial Cup he just had) and Dahlin did.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Expect the expected. Tkachuk at 3. Fits the vision. Speed is fine, has some skill, and full of the intangible stuff.

MBs epiphany appears to be that playmaking wingers apparently make talented offensive centres unnecessary.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Ty Smith I would like to draft. Reminds me of Morgan Reilly. Can skate, move the puck and plays with heart. If I am looking at a defenseman for todays game....those are 3 things to fall in love with. Besides, he can play now slotted along side Weber.

Smith could go onto better career than Hughes. Notice Hughes didn't go to combine while others with less to prove like Dobson(after Memorial Cup he just had) and Dahlin did.

I believe Hughes was there he just didn't participate. Injury or something.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I believe Hughes was there he just didn't participate. Injury or something.

Wonder what impact that will have on him, if he drops a little or not. I kind of had him going to the Wings maybe as a total guess since he played there and they could use a top D prospect but maybe he drops a bit further. Someones going to get a heck of a prospect imo.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Wonder what impact that will have on him, if he drops a little or not. I kind of had him going to the Wings maybe as a total guess since he played there and they could use a top D prospect but maybe he drops a bit further. Someones going to get a heck of a prospect imo.

I think a lot of people have him going to the Wings. They're in rough shape D-wise.

I can't see it having much affect on his draft position. They've had all year to look at the kid & he played at the WC, so he may be NHL ready too.

Wings should draft him or Noah Dobson.

Reactions: montreal

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Watching Zadina wjc highlights , it's hard not to pick him. He looks like exactly what we need : a pure goal scorer who is not afraid to drive the net. Easy to project him on the PP with Drouin..

Kotkaniemi on the other hand seem to be a big time riser and he played really well at the U-18 , can't go wrong with him either , looks like a very smart player.

What to do..

Reactions: Redux91 and NoQuinn

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Who was the last person to be drafted out of the NCAA? Can't find any in recent history. Not that I want to draft Tkachuk - but I'm just wondering how reliable his stats are as a measure of his potential/offensive performance considering there is no precedents on which to compare/benchmark.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Who was the last person to be drafted out of the NCAA? Can't find any in recent history. Not that I want to draft Tkachuk - but I'm just wondering how reliable his stats are as a measure of his potential/offensive performance considering there is no precedents on which to compare/benchmark.

Our very own Ryan Poehling.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
But how does the NCHC compare to the NCAA? I have no idea, so I assumed similarly to Football in the NCAA, different divisions have different "standards". I.e some have horrible defenses and can lead to more inflated stats

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
But how does the NCHC compare to the NCAA? I have no idea, so I assumed similarly to Football in the NCAA, different divisions have different "standards". I.e some have horrible defenses and can lead to more inflated stats

NCHC is a conference within NCAA. The different conferences are said to have different strengths, with NCHC and Hockey East being the best, and ECAC being the worst, usually.

@montreal is our NCAA guy.

Reactions: Redux91

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I know we don’t need any RD in the near future but I am starting to think Dobson is the best player available at 3. Bob McKenzie said he is the second best defenseman on his list and this is the year of the defensemen. That would really throw everyone for a loop.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I know we don’t need any RD in the near future but I am starting to think Dobson is the best player available at 3. Bob McKenzie said he is the second best defenseman on his list and this is the year of the defensemen. That would really throw everyone for a loop.
Agree, draft Dobson and pick one of the top centers next year...

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I would also say that we need to draft a couple left wingers when looking at the depth chart posted on HEOTP. Again, not an immediate need but could be in a few years.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Dmen tend to be tougher to project. I think we just go for the forward of our choice.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
One thing to consider if we're actually serious about rebuilding... Defensemen usually take longer to develop. If we plan on being terrible again next year, we could take the Dman this year and then take the C next year and then they'd likely be ready for peak performance during the same year

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
One thing to consider if we're actually serious about rebuilding... Defensemen usually take longer to develop. If we plan on being terrible again next year, we could take the Dman this year and then take the C next year and then they'd likely be ready for peak performance during the same year

I wouldn't overthink it personally. Just go BPA.

Plus, as long as Price is around, you could ice a pee-wee team and he could still get you his fair share of wins. As long as he plays up to his talent, that is. I for one wouldn't be surprised if this team was in a playoff spot next season.

If they're serious about a rebuild, Price has to move. Otherwise, I don't see how it can work. It'll be patchwork, as it always is, and it'll end how it always does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad