2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think that's where the Aho comparisons come in. Pretty relentless despite size, buzzes around pretty well even if not super physical. Kind of what everyone hoped Loktionov would be I guess?

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
The ISS mock draft has the Kings selecting Bode Wilde.

I hope the Kings take a highly skilled forward at #20, BUT if they don't and Bode Wilde is available at 20, would take him, unless there was a cut and dried high profile forward they
are targeting. WIlde is RHD !!! The Kings only have Ladue as RHD after Doughty. Folin (RHD) is probably moving on. Wilde was the #1 best Defenseman on Team USA

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/283932/bode-wilde

Bode Wilde is a talented and competitive defender that plays a tenacious 200-foot game. His balance and acceleration in-stride is noteworthy and he is never caught in no-man's land, or doing nothing. He is proactive and hard-nosed in pursuit if puck control, and he reads queues in all three zones naturally and quickly. Defensively, he is a beast and always looks to take time and space away from the opposition. He erases the open lane, keeps opponents to the outside, and is physical along the wall. In-transition, he is able to make that outlet pass or, more than likely, take it up himself to set up the trap. Offensively, he showcases a very hard, accurate shot that leaps off his stick. He can also open up space by way of his skating ability, size, and handling of the puck. Thanks to his quick thinking in making the high-percentage decision, he can be very difficult to read and play against. All-in-all, Wilde is a smart, competitive, and sizey two-way D-man that can provide a team with numbers on the board and stability on the ice. [EP 2018]

2way D has size & strength, good offensive instincts & has a low hard shot, ISS Hockey 2017

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I'll be happy with any combination of players out of these groups.

1st Round 20th Pick
Vitali Kravtsov
Rasmus Kupari
Grigori Denisenko
Joe Veleno
Bode Wilde (Def)
Isac Lundestrom

2cd Round 51st Pick
Jacob Olofsson
Jonatan Berggren
Matej Pekar
Alexander Alexeyev (Def)
Jared McIsaac (Def)
Kevin Bahl (Def)

3rd round
Jake Wise
Alexander Khovanov
Liam Foudy
Sampo Ranta
Ryan Merkley (Def)
Alec Regula (Def)

(Name Alone)
Nando Eggenberger
Blade Jenkins

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I could see the Kings taking Sean Durzi in the 2nd round. There's an Owen Sound connection with Futa. Durzi is a smaller RH offensive D. He went undrafted last year, but should go in rounds 2/3. LA's has seemingly been one of the teams willing to spend higher picks on guys who were passed over before.

Don't know if he'd be there at #51, but Nils Lundkvist has been getting some praise of late. Mark Edwards of HockeyProspect.com compared him as a right handed Ty Smith.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Kupari now rated at 20. Would provide the speed we are looking for. Being realistic without someone dropping I'd be hoping for Bokk, Kupari, or Denisenko. Get some much needed speed/skill.

Reactions: LAKings88

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Kupari now rated at 20. Would provide the speed we are looking for. Being realistic without someone dropping I'd be hoping for Bokk, Kupari, or Denisenko. Get some much needed speed/skill.

Due to the amount of GM's seeking centers, there might be some defensemen and wingers slipping down.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What jumps out at me is Farabee at 17. I’d like to see the Kings trade up to jump ahead to grab him if possible.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Devils looked to trade down a few spots from #17 (especially if they've pigeonholed into taking a D). Due to the Johansson/Grabner trades, we don't have 2nd or 3rd round picks. 17 for 20 and 82 would be in the ballpark of a plausible trade.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Philadelphia took Farabee at 14.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
With Bergevin on the hot seat in Montreal and the rumors they will go hard after Taveras, I would love Blake to make a big move at the draft with him. Imagine a trade for Pacioretty, 2018 3rd OA for Toffoli, Forbort and the 20th OA. Kings take Jesperi Kotkaniemi, sign Kovalchuk on July 1 for 1 year, $7.5 million and get Voynov back.

Kovalchuk Kopitar Brown
Pacioretty Carter Vilardi
Kotkaniemi Lewis Kempe
Clifford Amadio Iafallo
Brodzinski Rempel

Doughty Muzzin
Voynov Martinez
Phaneuf LaDue
Brickley

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
That trade does nothing for Montreal. Patches wasn't good last year, but the previous six years he he has averaged 35 goals a season. Even as a rental they can get more than limited players like Forbort and TT. I don't think there is going to be much demand for TT if the Kings were to try and move him, he was abysmal the last two years and has really only hd 1 good season.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I posted here since 2001 as Malakian#13 but for some reason I can't get in to that account so I've been reserved to lurking..

How about Jett Woo in the 2nd? Right hand defenseman, Kyle Clagues partner in the WHL.

Jett Woo is #52 on Craig Button's list...and does not turn 18 till late July...played on U18 Canada Team too.

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-svechnikov-solidifies-hold-on-second-spot-1.1103996

I still prefer getting best skilled forward at 20 and get a RHD at 51 or 82. Brickley, Clague, Mikey Anderson, Cole Hults, Reddekopp, MacDermid, Markus Phillipps, are all LH. Strand and Matt Roy are RHD.
RHD at 52 could be Woo, Lundkvist (played SHL this season) Filip Johansson, Bernard-Dokker, Calen Addison. Unless they have another higher rated forward they really want.

Lots of variance, between all the publications - that's no unusual, though...especially after#10 or so.
Central Scouting always has some very different looking rankings...EU list #5 Adam Ginning D ? Ahead of Kotkaniemi? Seems crazy. Have not seen Ginning on any 1st round lists
except ISS at #17.

Adam Ginning at eliteprospects.com

interesting forwards that may be on the Kings radar, but not heard anything, of course:
Ty Dellandrea is on several lists from 17-28. Interesting to see his 59 pts was there with overager 21 yr old Colella...but the NEXT forward
had 30 points! So Ty obviously can create his own chances and put the puck in the net...one wonders if he could have been a 90 pt player
on a good team. Maybe a name to look for at 20. Button has him 17. I appreciate players that can outscore their teammates at such
a clip...their points are not from playing with 1 or 2 other great players.

"Underrated center that made the most of his opportunities despite having the misfortune of playing for a doormat. Dellandrea can score in a variety of ways and uses his size to protect the puck extremely well. He was Flint's go-to guy in every critical situation, so it's no surprise he likes to model his game after Jonathan Toews."

Ty Dellandrea at eliteprospects.com

Other forwards all over the board: Kaut, Kravstov, Bokk, Olafsson, Denisenko, and even Kupari has some big differences in lists. Veleno is anywhere from 11 to 30.
Akil Thomas as well...put up 81 points. Jonatan Berggren led Team Sweden U18 in scoring and is around late first to early 2nd rd.

eliteprospects has all the major publication rankings linked. ISS, McKeens, etc. and Central Scouting.

Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center ISS HOCKEY TOP 31

My NHL Draft person has been changing his rankings a lot, of late:

2018 NHL Mock Draft | 2018 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

Last edited:

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
1st round : Kravstov,Farabee,Kupari
2nd round : Lundkvist or Berggren

I think Lundkvist will be a steal . He will be a top 4 dman someday with Klingberg like numbers .

Reactions: LAKings88

Chruceg

Aug 12, 2008
Near Philadelphia,PA
Bob McKenzie's ranking / survey of ten scouts is out: https://www.tsn.ca/kotkaniemi-surges-into-top-five-of-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1115400

Not sure how reliable it is, but I think I saw a Flyers writer say that he heard rumblings that they'd take Martin Kaut at #19 if he's there. In case you want to fill in the blanks in front of the Kings at #20.

I think the most interesting part of that article is the second to last paragraph. That there is very little difference between picks 21 to 65. With that being the case and the Kings being experts at the second round ... is trading down for another second or next year's first make sense? ... obviously the Kings would have to dislike everybody around their position for it to work but it's an interesting thought.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
This draft is very intriguing. Everyone's certain that Dahlin and Svechnikov are going 1 and 2. But after that no one has any clue how the rest of the top 10 is going to turn out. Unlike last year where the top 10 everyone went around where they were supposed to go except Vilardi and Pettersson. This year, with Kotkaniemi rising up the charts, its throwing everyone for a loop. We don't know if the Habs are going to trade down or just keep their pick and draft Kotkaniemi straight up. Boqvist draft stock is dropping after his combine, Tkachuk could drop if the teams go for the top defensemen. Kravtsov is rising on everyone's list. This should be a crazy draft I think.

For me personally I'm looking at mostly forwards for the kings pick at 20. Farabee, Kupari, Kravtsov, Denisenko, Bokk, Lundestrom, Veleno in that order for me. The first 4 will most likely all be gone by the time they get to our pick. Of the defensemen that could be available I think I would only really want Bode Wilde if he's there.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
That trade does nothing for Montreal. Patches wasn't good last year, but the previous six years he he has averaged 35 goals a season. Even as a rental they can get more than limited players like Forbort and TT. I don't think there is going to be much demand for TT if the Kings were to try and move him, he was abysmal the last two years and has really only hd 1 good season.

one good season...yeah sure

Last edited:

Islcey

Jun 18, 2018
1st round : Kravstov,Farabee,Kupari
2nd round : Lundkvist or Berggren

I think Lundkvist will be a steal . He will be a top 4 dman someday with Klingberg like numbers .

Lundkvist would be awesome but I think he goes in the 25-40 range. If he's there I would love if we took him.

How about Riley Sutter in the 3rd or 4th round? Could have Chris announce the pick!

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
one good season...yeah sure

What has Toffoli done that is going to want to warrant a team taking him on at the expense of one of the better goal-scorers in the league this decade?

He has one season of more than 50 points, one season of more than 25 goals. He isn't a physical player, is average at best defensively and has been arguably the Kings worst player the last two postseasons he has played in.

Can't remember who said it, but he is Michael Ryder, he is a one-dimensional slow skater who has a good enough shot to beat goaltenders when given time and space. He is nothing special.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
But, but Toffoli is a 30-goal scorer.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Is Tkachuk NHL ready or does he need some more time?

Toffoli and #20 to Arizona for #5. Draft Tkachuk. Sign Tavares, Carter to RW. Put Tkachuk on Kopis wing. :)

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Is Tkachuk NHL ready or does he need some more time?

Toffoli and #20 to Arizona for #5. Draft Tkachuk. Sign Tavares, Carter to RW. Put Tkachuk on Kopis wing. :)

Tkachuk is already committed to Boston University (or was it Boston College?) He's probably going to stay for at least a year and then make the jump I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00