Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
74 names in a draft that will have over 200 players selected likely won't last the entire draft. What good is a comprehensive ranking that lists 20 some names as first round talent when there is 31 picks in the round? I don't really have a problem, but was pointing out quirks in his analysis and approach. He might give a secound round grade to a player that other people have as a first round talent because he doesn't like see game breaking skill, but he only has 20 first round prospects?
Did you read the introduction? He said that his board rarely goes past 50 in the actual draft and also gave a solid explanation for why the rounds aren't 31 picks.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Hayton will go closer to 10 then he will 20

Right now, he is slated to go in the 15-20 range, if you look at the aggregate rankings I think he averages out to pick #16.25 or something like that.

If he's still there around 16-18 (real good chance), we should have a trade in place to move up, no doubt about it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Right now, he is slated to go in the 15-20 range, if you look at the aggregate rankings I think he averages out to pick #16.25 or something like that.

If he's still there around 16-18 (real good chance), we should have a trade in place to move up, no doubt about it.

He is generally considered a top 3 center in this draft, and I would venture to guess that 3 centers will be taken in the first 15 picks.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
What about Boqvist?

Too much worry due to concussion issues. He has already had 2 that we know about. Not counting unreported ones. Also because he is smaller it will be easier to bang him around when he does hit the NHL. Thus further increasing potential for more.

I believe with the two most physical sports in North America (hockey and football) it is much better to steer clear of players at a young age sporting multiple concussions already.

Reactions: DetroitRed
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I watched most of the Hamilton vs. A-Bathurst game last night. I liked what I saw from Dobson. He looks smooth. Two weeks ago I was all in for Bouchard, now both Hughes and Dobson are rising for me. Boqvist will be this year's Liljegren and drop on draft day. I will be happy with Bouchard/Hughes/Dobson.

On a side note, Kaden Fulcher looked great in nets. Hopefully we found ourselves a nice free agent steal in nets. Goalies are so hard to project, but hopefully he can keep his play up. I'm praying one of Larsson or Fulcher works out.

Reactions: DetroitRed

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I watched most of the Hamilton vs. A-Bathurst game last night. I liked what I saw from Dobson. He looks smooth. Two weeks ago I was all in for Bouchard, now both Hughes and Dobson are rising for me. Boqvist will be this year's Liljegren and drop on draft day. I will be happy with Bouchard/Hughes/Dobson.

On a side note, Kaden Fulcher looked great in nets. Hopefully we found ourselves a nice free agent steal in nets. Goalies are so hard to project, but hopefully he can keep his play up. I'm praying one of Larsson or Fulcher works out.
If Boqvist falls past the top 15 I hope we're very active in trying to move up from the Vegas pick to take him. The concussions are scary, but if we walked away from this draft with Bouchard/Dobson/Hughes and Boqvist I wouldn't be able to contain my excitement. That would be amazing.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If Boqvist falls past the top 15 I hope we're very active in trying to move up from the Vegas pick to take him. The concussions are scary, but if we walked away from this draft with Bouchard/Dobson/Hughes and Boqvist I wouldn't be able to contain my excitement. That would be amazing.
there is big difference between Liljegren and Boqvist , one just had bad year , another has health problem , could make him retire much sooner.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Funny scenario:

What is Detroit drafts all TOP4 Finns on their first 4 picks...? :)

#6. C Jesperi Kotkaniemi, 6'2 Left
#30 C Rasmus Kupari, 5'11 Right (just predict he falls)
#32 RW Jesse Ylönen, 6'1 Right
#36 RW Niklas Nordgren, 5'10 Right

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Brock Otten is releasing his top 50 rankings for the OHL... always a good read and you can find a write-up for all players, which is nice.

Here are a few he has highlighted who I am a fan of:
more here: OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2018 NHL Entry Draft - Part 3: 30-11

13. Allan McShane - Forward - Oshawa Generals
McShane is easily one of the best playmakers available this year IMO. His vision in the offensive zone and deft passing touch are his best assets. This guy can really thread the needle. McShane is at his best working the cycle and the wall, using a wide base to protect the puck until he finds an opening for a linemate. At the U18's, where he was one of Canada's best players, this was on full display. McShane is also a terrific face-off man and an effective defensive player who profiles as a very solid two-way center at the next level. The key to his development will be in improving his skating. Lacks power in his first few strides and his top speed isn't great either. At the pace that the pro game is played at now, he'll need to really upgrade that to be effective as a playmaker. He won't always be able to slow the game down, especially if he sticks down the middle. But the way he processes the game can't be ignored and he deserves to be selected in the first two rounds because of it. The other thing I'd like to see from McShane, is a more concerted effort to attack the middle of the ice. I'm not sure that I would call him a perimeter player. But at the same time, some of those consistency issues could be ironed out if he found more success working through traffic in the slot and near the crease. Again though. This is a smart hockey player who should eventually be one of the higher scorers in the OHL.

16. Pavel Gogolev - Forward - Peterborough Petes
Tough to stand out on a poor Peterborough squad this year, but Gogolev did just that on most occasions. His 30 goals were 3rd among first time draft eligible players from the OHL this year. Best of all, 26 of those came 5 on 5 which was 6th best in the entire OHL. Flat out, Gogolev can put the puck in the net. Has an absolutely terrific release, especially at top speed, which is excellent. Gogolev has great wheels and he is constantly looking to push the pace across the opposing blueline. Speed, skill, and finishing ability makes Gogolev a potential sniper at the NHL level. The rest of his game is a work in progress though. Intensity in all three zones and away from the puck needs to be more consistent. Should be using his speed more to be a forechecker and to help get pucks out of his own end, but can get caught floating or watching the play when it's not on his stick. Can also be turnover prone in the offensive zone as tunnel vision gets a hold of him. Coming out of minor midget, he was billed as a terrific boards player, but that's something we haven't seen much of at the OHL level. He's listed at 170lbs right now, which is quite slight. If he can really work to add some muscle and improve his play away from the puck, he could be a real asset, dare I even say a star, in this league. Hopefully the new Petes coach can light a fire under him even further.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Brock Otten is releasing his top 50 rankings for the OHL... always a good read and you can find a write-up for all players, which is nice.

Tough to stand out on a poor Peterborough squad this year, but Gogolev did just that on most occasions. His 30 goals were 3rd among first time draft eligible players from the OHL this year. Best of all, 26 of those came 5 on 5 which was 6th best in the entire OHL. Flat out, Gogolev can put the puck in the net. Has an absolutely terrific release, especially at top speed, which is excellent. Gogolev has great wheels and he is constantly looking to push the pace across the opposing blueline. Speed, skill, and finishing ability makes Gogolev a potential sniper at the NHL level. The rest of his game is a work in progress though. Intensity in all three zones and away from the puck needs to be more consistent. Should be using his speed more to be a forechecker and to help get pucks out of his own end, but can get caught floating or watching the play when it's not on his stick. Can also be turnover prone in the offensive zone as tunnel vision gets a hold of him. Coming out of minor midget, he was billed as a terrific boards player, but that's something we haven't seen much of at the OHL level. He's listed at 170lbs right now, which is quite slight. If he can really work to add some muscle and improve his play away from the puck, he could be a real asset, dare I even say a star, in this league. Hopefully the new Petes coach can light a fire under him even further.

Sweet!. Another AA to help focus the mounting fan disaffection.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
there is big difference between Liljegren and Boqvist , one just had bad year , another has health problem , could make him retire much sooner.

There's another big difference though... Boqvist is better, and I'm a Liljegren fan- would have been happier with him at 9 last year then Rasmussen. Maybe Boqvist's concussions are a problem for him, maybe not. If not and he develops well, he could be one of the best defenseman in the league. If he's available outside the top 10 then I think we'd be really stupid not to make a play for him. That's precisely the type of gutsy move we need to make if we want to rebuild. Draft Bouchard + Boqvist and we may have our future first pairing on D. Their shots from the point on our PP would create so much offense, especially with Rasmussen deflecting, screaning and cleaning up rebounds in front.

I doubt he makes it that far though. He'll go top 10.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Also from OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2018 NHL Entry Draft - Part 3: 30-11:

15. Alec Regula - Defense - London Knights

Been on the Regula train nearly all season long and have tweeted about him many times. Kid was a first year player and managed to play a top pairing role alongside Evan Bouchard nearly all season long. He's 6'4 and has excellent mobility, especially straight ahead where his long strides help him gain the neutral zone with relative ease on some occasions. He's raw though. Physically, he's not developed yet. He's an August birth date and he needs to add bulk to that wiry frame. That will help him be a more effective defensive player. Offensively, he oozes potential. Has the ability to go end to end and his mobility is an asset. But it's picking his spots and limiting his turnovers that he will need to improve upon. Late in the year, he started to become a little turnover prone, but he also had 12 points in the final 17 games of the regular season. Was taking more chances and as such, things started to get a little sloppy. You watch London play and this kid will make at least one head scratcher per game. Pass up the middle, bad read or pinch, you name it. BUT, he also made two great plays for every bad one and his reach is a MAJOR asset in the defensive end. I don't think those errors stem from a lack of hockey sense. I think they stem from a lack of experience. This kid will get elite instruction from the Knights' coaching staff and he's going to get all the ice time he can handle over the next two years. Especially next year if Evan Bouchard makes an NHL roster. He's the type of player you roll the dice on in the 2nd round/3rd round in hopes

Sign me up.

I could absolutely see the Wings drafting Kevin Bahl with one of their 2nds, also.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Here are a few he has highlighted who I am a fan of:
more here: OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2018 NHL Entry Draft - Part 3: 30-11

13. Allan McShane - Forward - Oshawa Generals
McShane is easily one of the best playmakers available this year IMO. His vision in the offensive zone and deft passing touch are his best assets. This guy can really thread the needle. McShane is at his best working the cycle and the wall, using a wide base to protect the puck until he finds an opening for a linemate. At the U18's, where he was one of Canada's best players, this was on full display. McShane is also a terrific face-off man and an effective defensive player who profiles as a very solid two-way center at the next level. The key to his development will be in improving his skating. Lacks power in his first few strides and his top speed isn't great either. At the pace that the pro game is played at now, he'll need to really upgrade that to be effective as a playmaker. He won't always be able to slow the game down, especially if he sticks down the middle. But the way he processes the game can't be ignored and he deserves to be selected in the first two rounds because of it. The other thing I'd like to see from McShane, is a more concerted effort to attack the middle of the ice. I'm not sure that I would call him a perimeter player. But at the same time, some of those consistency issues could be ironed out if he found more success working through traffic in the slot and near the crease. Again though. This is a smart hockey player who should eventually be one of the higher scorers in the OHL.

23. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev - Forward - Peterborough Petes
SDA is definitely one of the more intriguing players available from the OHL this year. Not the biggest (5'10, 170lbs), but in terms of playmaking ability and skill with the puck, Der-Arguchintsev is right near the top. This guy creates so much time and space for himself by keeping the puck on a string, spinning off checks along the wall and prolonging zone time.
Strength is definitely an issue, but he's also the youngest player eligible this year (Sept. 15 birthday) and it's scary to think about how good he could be offensively once his conditioning improves. Those 39 assists on a poor Peterborough team really stand out as a positive. Another thing holding him back is a lack of game breaking speed. He's not slow, but without question, SDA relies on his hands and skill to create elusiveness rather than his feet. It explains why he's not more of a factor creating off the rush. If that speed improves, it would really add that dynamic ability to his game. And would help him become a little more effective cutting through the middle of the ice. Der-Arguchintsev also needs to get better in the defensive end, especially if he wants to stay down the middle. The effort isn't always there on the backcheck and he lacks the strength to consistently win battles along the wall. But I reiterate, this is one of the youngest players available and he has a very high ceiling if everything gets put together. It's the type of pick you make in the 3rd or 4th round and perhaps look like a genius.

Please Detroit, take SDA in the 3rd! We have three 3rd rounders this year, gamble on SDA. Could he be another Datsyuk? Obviously that's a bold statement, but there are some similarities there in that description. I saw him play live in Ottawa, November 2016, and have been a fan since. He was tiny back then, and still needs to add a lot of muscle, but I think it'll be worth the gamble. He is a longterm prospect, but 4 years from now whoever takes him will be laughing.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010

Yeah, Hayton will probably fall somewhere in that 10-20 range. I've seen him as high as 10 and as low as 27, but most of the newer rankings seem to have him in the lower teens.

NHL Draft Aggregate.jpg

Assuming we don't trade up, there should still be some pretty good players available at #30 (or #31, depending on how Vegas does in the Finals), #33, and #36.

NHL Draft Aggregate2.jpg

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Usually yeah but this draft is much stronger on the back end and on the wing than down the middle.

Does't matter, teams need centers so they will draft centers... even if it's before they "should" go.

Yeah, Hayton will probably fall somewhere in that 10-20 range. I've seen him as high as 10 and as low as 27, but most of the newer rankings seem to have him in the lower teens.

View attachment 122235

Mckenzie had him at #12, and that is polling actual scouts. He also had a pretty good playoff performance as well so I imagine he goes in the 10-15 range pretty easily.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Does't matter, teams need centers so they will draft centers... even if it's before they "should" go.

Mckenzie had him at #12, and that is polling actual scouts. He also had a pretty good playoff performance as well so I imagine he goes in the 10-15 range pretty easily.

What if we reach for Kotkaniemi..?

Those Kopitar-style comparisons are really starting to please me...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Zadina is going to be a fun player to watch for whoever gets him. He does a lot of cheeky stuff like Datsyuk and can make defenseman look silly.

FZadina0317.gif

Reactions: jkutswings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad