2018 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I thought the same thing until I listened to a few of the interviews Lou did. He made a point of saying how hockey has become a young player's game and how speed has become so important. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Isles make the 2 first round picks and instead trade roster players for help.
Maybe but we do have top 6 talent now and in the system that is young, whether it was Lou or Snow or me and you I would be very surprised if we stood pat at 11 and 12.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Maybe but we do have top 6 talent now and in the system that is young, whether it was Lou or Snow or me and you I would be very surprised if we stood pat at 11 and 12.

Lee and Eberle will be free agents in a year. I'm not sold on any forward prospect not already on the Isles. So I do think they could use more help up front. Also nothing to say they wouldn't take a D plus a forward.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Lee and Eberle will be free agents in a year. I'm not sold on any forward prospect not already on the Isles. So I do think they could use more help up front. Also nothing to say they wouldn't take a D plus a forward.

You're not impressed with Bellows? He had a really strong year and he plays a very pro style game. He may not be ready right out of the gate, but he's tracking the best of all our prospects right now.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
You're not impressed with Bellows? He had a really strong year and he plays a very pro style game. He may not be ready right out of the gate, but he's tracking the best of all our prospects right now.

For sure he is at the top of my prospect list but I'm not sold on his skating. I doubt he will have the speed to play effectively with Barzal and if Lee is resigned then there will not be a top 6 spot for him. Assuming JT signs I would trade Lee for D and trade up for Wahlstrom.

Bailey-JT-Wahlstrom
Beau-Barzal-Eberle

That makes Bellows a third liner or trade bait.

Reactions: IODCPiper

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
For sure he is at the top of my prospect list but I'm not sold on his skating. I doubt he will have the speed to play effectively with Barzal and if Lee is resigned then there will not be a top 6 spot for him. Assuming JT signs I would trade Lee for D and trade up for Wahlstrom.

Bailey-JT-Wahlstrom
Beau-Barzal-Eberle

That makes Bellows a third liner or trade bait.

If it takes trading Lee to land a top defenseman and add some balance to the roster, I could live with that since Bellows is a possible cheaper alternative.

I would also be very happy landing Wahlstrom - assuming the price to trade up isn't prohibitive. I believe that the Isles should make sure to come away with at least one of the top names from this draft, as long as the cost is capped at one of the second rounders or so. Be it a defenseman or forward, they need to get at least one clear blue-chip prospect.

However, I would say that I would rather see Beau, Bellows and Ladd compete for the two top LW spots this season and let Wahlstrom (or another top forward out of this draft) take their time. No need to rush anyone now.

Keep Bailey at RW1 this season and then, if say Wahlstrom shows he is ready in a year or so, then you can move Bailey down to the third line and role three top lines.

Of course to do that they need to find a better 3C than Nelson, who I would look to move in a package for a better fit overall. I would love to see Nelson+ moved for Artem Anisimov.

In a year or so you could see -

Bellows - JT - Wahlstrom
Beau - Barzal - Eberle
Ladd - Anisimov - Bailey

Plus another quality defender added to the overall depth already on the roster and/or in the pipeline.

Reactions: dood

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I thought the same thing until I listened to a few of the interviews Lou did. He made a point of saying how hockey has become a young player's game and how speed has become so important. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Isles make the 2 first round picks and instead trade roster players for help.
Yeah, the flipside is what you wrote. The other thing is that to survive in a Cap world you need a constant supply of young cheap replacements for guys that get too expensive to keep. So maybe they keep both pick and trade roster players as you said.

Last edited:
Reactions: dood and IODCPiper

maksimum

May 25, 2018
I've watched them since Stanley Cups in 1980's and can't do it any more. The only guy worth watching is Barzal.
I hope they going to get better goaltender and better defense,otherwise is waste of time.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I had a room mate in college that used to inhale helium. That statement is relevant to these thread, if you're one of the people that don't huff helium.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I've watched them since Stanley Cups in 1980's and can't do it any more. The only guy worth watching is Barzal.
I hope they going to get better goaltender and better defense,otherwise is waste of time.

Then do yourself and us a favor and stop watching (and posting).

Reactions: JKP

maksimum

May 25, 2018
But he wasn't even top 10 in scoring. We should trade him too and make a team of only the top 10 scorers in the NHL.

This year he had to work hard to help MISTER Tavares to get better numbers to get better contract. Did watch last overtime game?? He could have scored by himself by waited for Tavares to pass to him and let him score.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
This year he had to work hard to help MISTER Tavares to get better numbers to get better contract. Did watch last overtime game?? He could have scored by himself by waited for Tavares to pass to him and let him score.

That is true.... Tavares is known to drag down everyone around him.

maksimum

May 25, 2018
Then do yourself and us a favor and stop watching (and posting).

Watching Islanders without Barzal is a pain in a ...
Beauvillier,Eberle,Lee are pretty good. I will watch first few games to see the new guys and Bailey scoring 30 points season after signing new contract.

maksimum

May 25, 2018
You guys...

This is the very definition of a troll. Do you not realize this? Addressing his posts as serious at all is like someone telling you Drano is refreshing and in your attempt to prove them wrong, drinking some.

I just don't want to be a "regular guy" like most of you contemplating is Tavares going to get 10,5 or 12 mil a year because everybody wants him,while everybody in the business knows that with his -12 in plus/minus column he is worth less than Stamkos who makes 8,5 mil/y

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I just don't want to be a "regular guy" like most of you contemplating is Tavares going to get 10,5 or 12 mil a year because everybody wants him,while everybody in the business knows that with his -12 in plus/minus column he is worth less than Stamkos who makes 8,5 mil/y

Okay, so I can have fun and all of that, but now completely serious here - the plus/minus stats are not the begining and end of the world. They're interesting, true, but you can't use just this to judge players' performance, as there's a lot more a player brings to the ice. Also, we had a lot of discussions about why Tavares will get more money than Stamkos, starting with the cap going up and ending with how McJesus' contract broke the ceiling and now the players will ask for more. Keep in mind that Tampa played a dangerous game with Stamkos, since he wanted more money, but they called his bluff.

maksimum

May 25, 2018
Okay, so I can have fun and all of that, but now completely serious here - the plus/minus stats are not the begining and end of the world. They're interesting, true, but you can't use just this to judge players' performance, as there's a lot more a player brings to the ice. Also, we had a lot of discussions about why Tavares will get more money than Stamkos, starting with the cap going up and ending with how McJesus' contract broke the ceiling and now the players will ask for more. Keep in mind that Tampa played a dangerous game with Stamkos, since he wanted more money, but they called his bluff.

The plus/minus stats are the beginning and end of the playoffs dreams. or you play above average and you make playoffs or you don't make the playoffs.
What else players bring to the game?
Look at Vegas. Nobody makes more than 5,75 mil on the team and they will win Stanley Cup.
What do they bring to the game??
Are we taking about the same things. You have to bring the POINTS using your speed and skills.
Stamkos is +18 and Tavares is -12.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
The plus/minus stats are the beginning and end of the playoffs dreams. or you play above average and you make playoffs or you don't make the playoffs.
Look at Vegas. Nobody makes more than 5,75 mil on the team and they will win Stanley Cup.
Are we taking about the same things. You have to bring the POINTS using your speed and skills.

There's no existing stats that are the begining and end of anything. And instead of answering, let me ask you one thing - if Tavares truly is that bad, then why half of the league is ready to roll out the red carpet for him?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Good call. You should post in the Advance Stats and Analytics threads. They could really use your contributions.

maksimum

May 25, 2018
That is true.... Tavares is known to drag down everyone around him.

Weight didn't play Barzal in the last overtime game,because he didn't want him to score.Then Tavares comes on ice and Barzal who could have scored by himself passes to Tavares and GREAT Tavares scores last goal of the season. And Barzal ends season with +1 but Tavares with -12.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Guys...I know how to block a poster, but how do we block an entire thread? NOT asking for a friend.

maksimum

May 25, 2018
There's no existing stats that are the begining and end of anything. And instead of answering, let me ask you one thing - if Tavares truly is that bad, then why half of the league is ready to roll out the red carpet for him?

Name just 3 teams which want to sign Tavares.
And btw tell me why Rangers got rid of Nash

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Guys...I know how to block a poster, but how do we block an entire thread? NOT asking for a friend.

Someone will remove it sooner or later.

Name just 3 teams which want to sign Tavares.
And btw tell me why Rangers got rid of Nash

Sure. Saint Louis Blues, San Jose Sharks, Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens are a given. In addition, he could be interesting to teams like Colorado, Buffalo or Vegas. (And I have a feeling I forgot about someone really obvious here...) EDIT: Devils!
Rangers got rid of Nash because they were blowing things up for a rebuild. They basically sold everyone that had any value and couldn't hide behind NTC/NMC.

maksimum

May 25, 2018

Don't tell me that Vegas and Washington want Tavares. Besides you have to get rid of two or three other guys to make room for Tavares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad