2018 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I was implying they should use part of the Hamonic return to trade up and get Hughes.

Based off of what I’m hearing about Hughes, I was would rather have him and Calgary’s 2019 2nd (which I assume wouldn’t be moved in a draft floor deal) than whoever is likely to be available at #12 and Calgary’s 2018 2nd (not saying that’s all it would take, but that’s the part of the Hamonic return that I would presume to be involved).

For example, Montreal owns the 3rd overall pick and 4 2nd rounder is this upcoming draft. If their Brass is set on drafting a center or two (which is just speculation for me based on their depth chart), they may look to NYI and offer up 3rd overall and one of the 2nds for picks 11th and 12th overall.

I think there is a good chance Montreal could walk away with two of Kotkaniemi/Hayton/Veleno at 11/12 overall and if they don’t, then someone else good is going to be available (could end up getting a Wahlstrom/Boqvist and Farabee if there is a run on centers) they may value that more than Zadina and a bunch of B-level guys from the 2nd round (maybe they see a dropoff where there 2nd rounders are???).

I have a feeling Montreal is going to do something stupid.

Due to my severe insecurity, I just need to be more right than everybody.

So...

Phase one: Disagree with you.

Phase two: Agree with something you say, and make it seem like I was saying the same thing all along.

Phase three: Profit... I guess. The whole thing was my idea, anyway.

Reactions: SI

scott99

May 13, 2005
This list...

YearlyAjarAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif
This cracked me up, love it !

Reactions: MattBarzal

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Gotta wonder if Lou Lams has his scouts selected and ready to start making some decisions whether to trade for NHLers, stay put or move up or down.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I wonder if Lou has had any meetings with toranto scouts and knows anything from their reports on guys? Can only help right?

Probably that stuff gets ramped up around combine time though.

nc1972

Jun 3, 2006
So now that we have a GM who knows his way around the league and is respected by his peers we can look forward to the future being brighter in Islander land. Also LL is well respected in eastern Europe as he was the first to bring Russian players to the NHL and was big on players out of the Czech Republic . You might even see some Swedish players surely the pool of potential draft eligible players available to us just got deeper.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
If I have my way, we're re-signing John Tavares and either trading our picks for Colton Porayko or using them to trade up into the top 5 to take Quinn Hughes.

If we don't sign Tavares, Barzal sinks to 55 points.

scott99

May 13, 2005
If I have my way, we're re-signing John Tavares and either trading our picks for Colton Porayko or using them to trade up into the top 5 to take Quinn Hughes.

I disagree with your last sentence. Barzal is used to being a #1 center on a team. I hope Tavares resigns, But Barzal is a #1 center, his production won’t decrease much if put in that position.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
A few things...

1) Here's another list for some more fun. Don't think there's anything out there for free that lists/mentions this many prospects:
The Draft Analyst | 2018 NHL Draft: Final 500 Rankings (May)

Most interesting for me here is that he ranks Sandin 13th.

2) If Lou ends up running the draft, my gut feeling is that he's turning no less than one of those first rounders into a warm-bodied veteran in goal or on the blueline. That will make some people happy. Seems like a logical way for him to make HIS impact on this squad right away and well, there is some precedence (2013 = 9th overall for Schneider).

3) Dominik Bokk is a kid who I've been tracking for a few years now. If he were being thought of as a 2nd rounder, I'd be mentioning him in every post. There's much to like about his skill set, but in general, I think he's one of the scariest kids to invest in in this draft. The sample size against worthy competition is simply far too little for my taste. He did something pretty amazing this past winter and clearly has some natural offensive instincts and awareness that have allowed people to think there's going to be a player here, but his identity and profile is just a good bit too thin for my liking, especially in light of the many good talents that can be had in the first round this year.

4) Again, other than Dahlin, and I'm sure some would say Svechnikov too, I can't see any ONE prospect in the remaining top 3-15 who is downright worth MORE than taking two of these prospects at 11 and 12. Don't really understand the urge to move up by moving both picks?

5) The Pronman list is fun and there are surely a few teams who will pick a guy or two looking at these prospects in a similar light as he does. That could only benefit us if we would just sit and wait for fallers at spot 11, and perhaps 12 too.

6) Gonna be cool to see what everyone thinks of Craig Button's list when the time comes. I think he usually comes out with it after the combine, right?

Reactions: Konk

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Love Quinn Hughes!

Was already pining for him last summer as our pick this summer. Even mentioned it right after the U18 in 2017.

Still, I'd take a Smith and Veleno over JUST him any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The talent level among this top 15-20 is simply too high for anyone not named Dahlin or Svechnikov to be held in such high esteem that he'd outweigh any two picks.

You'll not find many in agreement here.

Aside from Barzal's style of play which automatically and consistently creates offensive chances, he played on another line than Tavares and the PP was actually poorly planned by having JT and Barzal there without JT not being solidly entrenched on the right face-off dot (where they had Bailey most of the time).

If you're worried about the attention Barzal would get without JT, that'll be the onus of management to bring in another capable offensive center should JT walk, likely a Stastny or Bozak type for the time being. A drop in points may well be possible, but not just because JT isn't there.

One way or another, this team MUST address the center position, because even with Tavares, Barzal, Nelson, and Cizikas, this wasn't close to being a playoff team and in light of Cizikas' automatic 15 games per on the IR and the fact that we're likely wasting Nelson up the middle, where he's not all that capable anyways and too rarely releases his wrist shot, this team needs to do a better job of maximizing this oh so crucial position.

One of the reasons it should be using a couple of high picks on the better centers in the first two rounds of this draft.

Reactions: TavHoSang

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think us draft fans better not get too attached to 2018 Draft prospects. Lamoriello is famous for trading picks for veterans. My guess is the two first round picks and two second round picks will be traded for a #1 goalie and a 1st pairing Dman.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Love Quinn Hughes!

Was already pining for him last summer as our pick this summer. Even mentioned it right after the U18 in 2017.

Still, I'd take a Smith and Veleno over JUST him any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The talent level among this top 15-20 is simply too high for anyone not named Dahlin or Svechnikov to be held in such high esteem that he'd outweigh any two picks.

You'll not find many in agreement here.

Aside from Barzal's style of play which automatically and consistently creates offensive chances, he played on another line than Tavares and the PP was actually poorly planned by having JT and Barzal there without JT not being solidly entrenched on the right face-off dot (where they had Bailey most of the time).

If you're worried about the attention Barzal would get without JT, that'll be the onus of management to bring in another capable offensive center should JT walk, likely a Stastny or Bozak type for the time being. A drop in points may well be possible, but not just because JT isn't there.

One way or another, this team MUST address the center position, because even with Tavares, Barzal, Nelson, and Cizikas, this wasn't close to being a playoff team and in light of Cizikas' automatic 15 games per on the IR and the fact that we're likely wasting Nelson up the middle, where he's not all that capable anyways and too rarely releases his wrist shot, this team needs to do a better job of maximizing this oh so crucial position.

One of the reasons it should be using a couple of high picks on the better centers in the first two rounds of this draft.

What about "agreeance", any chance of that? I think that people are much more amenable to words that don't exist.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I like Rasmus Sandin.... there are more than a handful of good prospects like him that could potentially fall to the 41 and 43 spots. Dellandrea, Groulx, Tychonick, Berggren, Merkley, Ginning, Gustafsson have all been listed in the 30-45 range on many lists.

Side note, if anyone wants to get a look at Noah Dobson, his team will be playing on NHL Network tonight at 10

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

If we don't sign Tavares , Bailey returns to 28 points. But he has always seemed to be responsible on D

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Other than the shortened season, Bailey hasn't scored less than 32 points since 2011 and it only happened two times in his career. Without JT, Bailey remains a versatile middle six winger who will play a 200ft game and chip in 40-50 points a season.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I wouldn’t complain with this outcome.

I would, so if that is what's left I'd craft . . .

The Ultimate Trade Down!

Just work with me for fun on this.

#11 to Philly for #14 and #50
#12 to NYR for #26, #30 and #48
#14 to LA for #20 and #51

That leaves us:

#20, #26, #30, #41, #43, #48, #50 and #51

When you look at the myriad of the Mock Drafts that could very well bring in

#20 - K'Andre Miller
#26 - Alex Alexeyev
#30 - Ty Dellandrea
#41 - Jacob Olofsson
#43 - Jacob Bernard-Docker
#48 - Jesse Ylonen
#50 - Jack McBain
#51 - Sean Durzi

Besides being a big leap to get here, would a draft like this instead of Veleno/Hayton and Smith would you prefer my draft to this? (see below for the Mock of 1-19)

Rnd. ▴PickTeamPlayerPos.School
72.gif
BuffaloRasmus DahlinDFrolunda HC
74.gif
CarolinaAndrei SvechnikovRWBarrie
54.gif
MontrealFilip ZadinaLWHalifax
59.gif
OttawaEvan BouchardDLondon
61.gif
ArizonaBrady TkachukLWBoston University
71.gif
DetroitQuinton HughesDMichigan
68.gif
VancouverAdam BoqvistDBrynäs IF
75.gif
ChicagoOliver WahlstromLWShattuck-St. Marys School
56.gif
NY RangersJesperi KotkaniemiRWAssat Pori
51.gif
EdmontonNoah DobsonDAcadie-Bathurst
58.gif
NY IslandersJoe VelenoCDrummondville
58.gif
NY IslandersTy SmithDSpokane
70.gif
DallasBarrett HaytonCSault Ste. Marie
60.gif
PhiladelphiaBode WildeDUS-Under-18
52.gif
FloridaJett WooDMoose Jaw
50.gif
ColoradoJoel FarabeeLWUSNTDP
55.gif
New JerseyMattias SamuelssonDNorwood High School
49.gif
ColumbusSerron NoelRWOshawa
60.gif
PhiladelphiaRyan MerkleyDGuelph
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I'll play so,

#20 - K'Andre Miller
#26 - Alex Alexeyev
#30 - Ty Dellandrea
#41 - Jacob Olofsson
#48 - Jesse Ylonen
#50 - Jack McBain
#51 - Sean Durzi

or

#11 - Veleno
#12 - Smith
#41 - Jacob Olofsson

So the trade works out

Veleno and Smith
for
Miller, Alexeyev, Dellandrea, Ylonen, McBain, and Durzi

That's tough -

My two favorite players in that group are Veleno and Smith.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
how much better is ty smith then bode wilde? i wouldnt mind veleno then trading down a few spots and taking wilde

scott99

May 13, 2005
how much better is ty smith then bode wilde? i wouldnt mind veleno then trading down a few spots and taking wilde
I do like Bode Wilde, he reminds me of Trouba a little bit. Hockey News has him at 15 and compares him to Brandon Carlo.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think Wilde is a risky pick. He could be the next Troba or the next Bogosian. I question Wilde's ability to put it all together.

I am also concerned about his questionable IQ, but I look at how Nurse and Dumba have developed and it makes me want to research him more.

Wilde has supreme tools, sick athlete. Nurse and Dumba have electric tools too but have been considered dumb as bricks their whole young careers. They took their lumps, but have become valuable players. They're not going to be top pair guys, but solid top-4 d-men that bring something to the table. They just take longer to develop because they need the reps since they don't have it upstairs to adjust quicker.

I look at Wilde in a similar vein. While the sum is lesser than the parts, still a valuable player at a premium position. Best case, he's PK Subban. With 2 1sts, he could be worth the risk.

I do like the Bogosian comp, but injuries were a huge factor for his suckage.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I am also concerned about his questionable IQ, but I look at how Nurse and Dumba have developed and it makes me want to research him more.

Wilde has supreme tools, sick athlete. Nurse and Dumba have electric tools too but have been considered dumb as bricks their whole young careers. They took their lumps, but have become valuable players. They're not going to be top pair guys, but solid top-4 d-men that bring something to the table. They just take longer to develop because they need the reps since they don't have it upstairs to adjust quicker.

I look at Wilde in a similar vein. While the sum is lesser than the parts, still a valuable player at a premium position. Best case, he's PK Subban. With 2 1sts, he could be worth the risk.

I do like the Bogosian comp, but injuries were a huge factor for his suckage.

Don't get me wrong I think Wilde has as much upside as any D not named Dahlin or Hughes. I also think he is more likely to bust than guys like Bouchard or Dobson. I would be more comfortable drafting Wilde if I knew Isles were going to hire someone like Stevens to work with the young D. I think Wilde will need to be surrounded by good development coaches more so than guys like Dobson or Bouchard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad