2018 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Don't get me wrong I think Wilde has as much upside as any D not named Dahlin or Hughes. I also think he is more likely to bust than guys like Bouchard or Dobson. I would be more comfortable drafting Wilde if I knew Isles were going to hire someone like Stevens to work with the young D. I think Wilde will need to be surrounded by good development coaches more so than guys like Dobson or Bouchard.

Completely agree with you.

I would be thrilled if Lou brings Stevens over, it would certainly make me more willing to take the risk on Wilde.

Of course, I would take the surer things over him. I've pledged my love for Bouchard, I'd trade up for him.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think Wilde is a risky pick. He could be the next Troba or the next Bogosian. I question Wilde's ability to put it all together.

I agree with this - Too risky.

They cannot get cute with these two 1sts - Veleno and Smith should be locked in - unless someone falls from the top 10- although I really like Kravtsov

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
I would consider Farabee and one of Veleno or Smith if the top 10 (including Jesperi K.) are drafted by pick 11.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I am also concerned about his questionable IQ, but I look at how Nurse and Dumba have developed and it makes me want to research him more.

Wilde has supreme tools, sick athlete. Nurse and Dumba have electric tools too but have been considered dumb as bricks their whole young careers. They took their lumps, but have become valuable players. They're not going to be top pair guys, but solid top-4 d-men that bring something to the table. They just take longer to develop because they need the reps since they don't have it upstairs to adjust quicker.

I look at Wilde in a similar vein. While the sum is lesser than the parts, still a valuable player at a premium position. Best case, he's PK Subban. With 2 1sts, he could be worth the risk.

I do like the Bogosian comp, but injuries were a huge factor for his suckage.
Nurse and Dumba didn't have Wilde's bad decision making. You can say what you want about Dumba, but his issues were really about reeling him in. Wilde does more than just take risks, he makes boneheaded plays with the puck on his stick. Nurse and Dumba never had that same problem, they didn't just develop hockey sense eventually. They really never had the issues in junior that you see with Wilde.

Dumba in particular was a rover and pinched far too often, that was one of his big weaknesses. But in his own zone, he played a real solid, heady game.

Nurse was a different animal, more comparable to Miller, if anything. A physical specimen who many banked on developing his offensive game, but his defense was solid.

Wilde is a rover and he makes bad plays in his own end. At times he looks lost. Trouba never had any of these issues, either.

Wilde reminds me more of Jack Johnson than any of those previous guys. I would stay the hell away.

Reactions: dood

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Nurse and Dumba didn't have Wilde's bad decision making. You can say what you want about Dumba, but his issues were really about reeling him in. Wilde does more than just take risks, he makes boneheaded plays with the puck on his stick. Nurse and Dumba never had that same problem, they didn't just develop hockey sense eventually. They really never had the issues in junior that you see with Wilde.

Dumba in particular was a rover and pinched far too often, that was one of his big weaknesses. But in his own zone, he played a real solid, heady game.

Nurse was a different animal, more comparable to Miller, if anything. A physical specimen who many banked on developing his offensive game, but his defense was solid.

Wilde is a rover and he makes bad plays in his own end. At times he looks lost. Trouba never had any of these issues, either.

Wilde reminds me more of Jack Johnson than any of those previous guys. I would stay the hell away.

If intelligence is the concern about Wilde, I wouldn't worry about it. Lou doesn't draft stupid.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
K’Andre Miller is a real sleeper. Kid can do it all. I wouldn’t be surprised if his ranked top15 for a few teams.

Not sure he's a sleeper. Not sure any kid looking to be a sure-fire Top 45 pick is a sleeper.

Looks to me like a guy who'll go somewhere between 22-40.

And I think he has all the tools to be a fine NHLer. Got the same vibes with kids like Brady Skjei and Jake McCabe (not comparing skill sets).

Reactions: SI90

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I like that K'Andre has the size, skating, offensive instincts and can play a physical game. He seems to play a lot smarter/controlled than Bode Wilde as well.

Reactions: dano16

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
If intelligence is the concern about Wilde, I wouldn't worry about it. Lou doesn't draft stupid.
I'm not too worried about the Islanders drafting Wilde. They typically stay away from low IQ players.

I'm not sure how much Lou will try to change the draft strategy considering the same scouts are in place, however, I'm much more inclined to think the picks may be used in a trade now with him at the helm.

Reactions: TavHoSang

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'm not too worried about the Islanders drafting Wilde. They typically stay away from low IQ players.

I'm not sure how much Lou will try to change the draft strategy considering the same scouts are in place, however, I'm much more inclined to think the picks may be used in a trade now with him at the helm.

My gut tells me we will only be making 1 selection in the first round.

Reactions: doublechili

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The more I think about it, if there are no deals to be made for one of the 1st rounders I'd seriously consider using both to move up to take Quinn Hughes if possible.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Jack Drury 3rd or 4th round. Book it!!

I'd take jack in the 3rd. As an 18 year old he finished first on his team ins coring and 4 overall in the league. That is rather impressive. I am surprised he isn't being mentioned as a late 1st/early 2nd pick

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'd take jack in the 3rd. As an 18 year old he finished first on his team ins coring and 4 overall in the league. That is rather impressive. I am surprised he isn't being mentioned as a late 1st/early 2nd pick

He's moved up on a lot of boards, I've heard him being mentioned as a potential early 2nd rounder.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He's moved up on a lot of boards, I've heard him being mentioned as a potential early 2nd rounder.

I wouldn't be surprised, he seems to be a pretty good bet to be a very solid #3C(think Bonino) who might be able to be a clone of his uncle Chris

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Seems yet again this team sucks, but not quite sucks enough to land the top tier in the draft. Looks like the top d men will be gone(which even after Garth’s all d man draft) is a gaping hole.

So, does Lou go with best player(s) available?
Reach for a dman?
Trade the pick?

For the younger fans out there, this year is approaching Mad Mike level of uncertainty.
MM was a complete wild card, Lou, certainly has more to work with, but which way will he go?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Seems yet again this team sucks, but not quite sucks enough to land the top tier in the draft. Looks like the top d men will be gone(which even after Garth’s all d man draft) is a gaping hole.

So, does Lou go with best player(s) available?
Reach for a dman?
Trade the pick?

For the younger fans out there, this year is approaching Mad Mike level of uncertainty.
MM was a complete wild card, Lou, certainly has more to work with, but which way will he go?

At 11 the Islanders should have a shot at atleast one of the top D and/or one of the top two way C's. Most mocks have the Islanders getting one/both of Ty Smith and Jesperi Kotkaniemi. Others often picked at 12 are Joel Farabee, Joe Veleno and Barrett Hayton.

I've done mocks where I've gotten Smith and Kotkaniemi, Dobson and Smith, Dobson and Kotkaniemi..... I've even gotten Wahlstrom at 11.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I like that K'Andre has the size, skating, offensive instincts and can play a physical game. He seems to play a lot smarter/controlled than Bode Wilde as well.

I like him too. Like the idea of a 6'3" large-framed d-man with reach who is good skater. From all I've read, I prefer him to Smith.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
I am going to stick to my opinion that when we look back at this draft(outside the consensus top 5) Rasmus Kupari is going to be a really good pick(and yes I would take him at 11 or 12).
I also really like Kandre Miller and Akil Thomas

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
My gut is telling me the same thing. I would not be surprised if after we make our pick at 11 there is a "we have a trade" announcement.

I thought the same thing until I listened to a few of the interviews Lou did. He made a point of saying how hockey has become a young player's game and how speed has become so important. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Isles make the 2 first round picks and instead trade roster players for help.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad