Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Angry-Peyton-Manning-Stare.gif

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Yes, on taking Vehvilainen with our 104 pick, or we may lose him now that he's getting attention. There was a small post that the Canes wanted to sign him already, but because of his age, he had to go through the draft first. Now he seems to have attracted a lot of attention, since entering the draft. I will be pissed if we don't get him now. Kinda not fair that he has already passed thru 2 drafts with no one taking him, yet we can't just sign him.

He's gone through *three* drafts, not two. He's two weeks younger than Noah Hanifin (Feb. 13, 1997) so he was eligible in 2015. He actually traveled to Florida for the draft and was (obviously) surprised not to hear his name. I don't know if he went to 2016 and 2017, but it's crazy to me that no team has taken a shot even late in the draft to the point that we're going to have to use a top-100 (or so) pick on him. From what I understand, he's been in Ducks camp (not sure about prospects or main camp) and Colorado also has him on their radar (although they just signed one of the Euro goalies a few weeks back so I'm not sure if that's a factor).

It's been a weird situation since we were first "connected" with a draft-eligible player, and it just keeps getting weirder. He's not listed on *any* of the prospect rankings. Is that because he's really not among the top 250 players available? Even the top 10 goalies? Or because the draftniks aren't aware he's draft-eligible? Or do people *still* doubt his mental toughness? It's virtually impossible to get a read on what's going to happen with this guy. A true draft "wild-card," which really doesn't happen much anymore.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Svechnikov and Linus Nyman with one of the 4th round picks would make me happy. I noticed Nyman when watching Kingston games to see Helvig. Though he was one of the smallest players, he was often the most noticeable--on offense often because he was making plays in front of the net.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Zykov, Tolchinsky, Semin, Samsonov, Loktionov, Babchuk (Ukraine), Ponikarovsky (Ukraine), Tverdovsky (Ukraine) Markov, Kovalenko, Khudobin (Kazakhstan).

Is that the full list of "Russian/former Soviet states" to ever play a game for the Canes? Or am I missing some? Dadanov or Knyazev never suited up for the Canes. Semin and Samsonov are the creme of the crop

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Zykov, Tolchinsky, Semin, Samsonov, Loktionov, Babchuk (Ukranian), Ponikarovsky (Ukranian), Tverdovsky (Ukranian) Markov, Kovalenko, Khudobin (Kazakhstani).

Is that the full list of "Russian/former Soviet states" to ever play a game for the Canes? Or am I missing some? Dadanov or Knyazev never suited up for the Canes. Semin and Samsonov are the creme of the crop
Ozolinsh and Irbe. I mean Latvians are definitely different but yeah, those two were straight up born in the Soviet era.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Was Nikoloshin gone before the move? I can’t remember and don’t feel like looking it up.

My most memorable Whaler Russian was Igor Chibarev mostly because he tore shit up for the Springfield Indians and we went to a lot of those games as well. His NHL career did not go well however.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Ozolinsh and Irbe. I mean Latvians are definitely different but yeah, those two were straight up born in the Soviet era.
Yeah, you definitely have to be careful with political monikers of the region since the history is so crazy. Latvia would be included in former soviet states. So I guess Ukrainian, Russian, Russian nationals born outside Russia (Khudobin, Tverdovsky). What we think of today as the modern "eastern bloc" outside the EU. If we had any Belarusian players they would fall into that category as well.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Was Nikoloshin gone before the move? I can’t remember and don’t feel like looking it up.

My most memorable Whaler Russian was Igor Chibarev mostly because he tore **** up for the Springfield Indians and we went to a lot of those games as well. His NHL career did not go well however.

Chibireve was back overseas for the 95/96 season. Nikolishin went to the Caps before the Whalers became the Canes.

Going back to Harford days we can add: Nikolishin, Chibirev (Ukraine), Godynyuk (Ukraine) that all suited up in the NHL for the Whalers. I'm guessing I'm still missing a few between the two teams.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I foresee a trade to get back into the 3rd if Tyler Weiss is still around. He's a Raleigh boy---and is known personally by several in the Canes organization. Can't see them letting him sit around if they have a chance.
Possibility we could snag him in the 4th as well though. But I think if there was anything to the Darling rumors we'll be getting a 3rd back from Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad