Speculation: 2018 NHL Draft Talk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
He's a source of AMD.

Alpirsbacher Monastery Distillery apparently has good sauce.

alpirsbacher-klosterbraeu.jpg

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I don't think its unrealistic to say this is the most talented core of young players this franchise has possibly ever had. With Svech and Necas, we have 2 of the best prospects in the league, on top of a couple of the better young forwards just below that elite generational level (Aho, TT) on top of 3 of the better young defenders in the league (Slavin, Hanifin, Pesce). You should be able to build a team with legit staying power around that kind of core. The fact we have them all either during or a year or 2 removed from their ELC is pretty crazy.

This is all great, but it's a long way from "top prospect" to impact player in the NHL. These guys all have the skills to do it, but do they have the intestinal fortitude to make a difference every game. It's a decision these guys have to make. "Do I want to play regularly in the NHL or do I want to make an impact on every single shift?" By the way, if we're asking this of Svechnikov and Necas, maybe we should ask Skinner, Faulk and Lindholm while we're at it.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I stopped paying for The Athletic because A) I'm slightly broke and B) I have so many subscriptions, sometimes I have to cancel them all to get a handle on which I actually use. Anywho, has anybody read Pronman's prospect ranking? From his tweets, it looks like he's in the crowd that feels Dahlin is a legit generational guy and the first four forwards (Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Zadina, Wahlstrom) and next four d-men (Bouchard, Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson) are basically a tier of Grade A talent with no standouts. But I can't be sure.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
I stopped paying for The Athletic because A) I'm slightly broke and B) I have so many subscriptions, sometimes I have to cancel them all to get a handle on which I actually use. Anywho, has anybody read Pronman's prospect ranking? From his tweets, it looks like he's in the crowd that feels Dahlin is a legit generational guy and the first four forwards (Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Zadina, Wahlstrom) and next four d-men (Bouchard, Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson) are basically a tier of Grade A talent with no standouts. But I can't be sure.
A lot of people really hate his mock draft, me personally ive only seen the top 10 but it looked bad

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

He’s got Bouchard and Dobson in his late teens low 20s of his rankings but says they’ll be higher in his mock.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Pronman said Svechnikov is his clear #2 because of his ability to score from absolutely anywhere. He also said Svechnikov was the best passer in the Draft.

Pronman was concerned about the question of just how much the 6’3”, 190 lbs NHL-ready power forward was dominating teenagers. Translateability is a question for every prospect and Svechnikov is no different. Personally I feel that guys that “score from everywhere” are opportunists/predators and that skillset generally translates better than a guy who relies on a certain aspect of his game. In the MLB, for example, pitchers are now focused on attacking batters’ weaknesses rather than pushing their own strengths. Video scouting and analytics has made this a lot easier. It’s hard to gameplan for a guy that can hit every single pitch. Svechnikov is an apex predator. Even a guy like Pronman who values Zadina’s raw offensive skill as superior agrees that Svechnikov is too productive to pass up.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Brock from Prospects Boards (OHL guy) posted his final rankings. Always a great read from a guy who watches a lot of OHL.

OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2018 NHL Entry Draft - Part 4: 10-1

1. Andrei Svechnikov - Forward - Barrie Colts
He's the perfect hybrid of how the game used to be played and how it is played now. He's got size at 6'3 and plays a power game, but he's also a fantastic skater. His ability to drive the net and gain inside positioning on defenders off the rush is among the best I've ever seen in the OHL. He's just so powerful. The shot is NHL quality already too. He's so strong on the puck and even with defenders draped all over him, he can manage to get great power behind his wrist, snap, and backhand. But Svechnikov plays just as effectively east/west as he does north/south. His creativity, puck skill, and vision are all top notch. He's actually a very good playmaker who has that innate ability to read defensive coverages to know when he should dish off or finish his drives himself. It's what makes him so dangerous because defenders have to respect his passing ability, which in turn gives him the time and space to dominate. I think the part of Svechnikov's game that doesn't get enough credit is his defensive game. This guy has great awareness in all three zones and is (mostly) willing to use his size and speed to engage on the backcheck. There are times where his defensive focus could be a bit more consistent, but I think he profiles as a solid two-way player in the NHL.

I really think this kid is NHL ready and he could be a 30/30 player in the NHL next year. Gabriel Landeskog put up 50 points in his first NHL season, and I see them being built very similarly, only I think Svechnikov has more offensive skill. In all honesty, the guy Svechnikov most reminds me of is Marian Hossa and I think he ends up being a similar kind of player in the NHL.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I was listening to HockeyProspects on NHL radio this morning and they really like Svechnikov and compare his play to Hossa. They also say that he is their clear cut number two pick behind Dahlin, with the gap between him and Dahlin smaller than the gap between Svechnikov and the #3 player.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Is Tarasenko a fair comparison?
I was listening to HockeyProspects on NHL radio this morning and they really like Svechnikov and compare his play to Hossa.

WOO HOO. Tarasenko or Hossa or Landeskog with "more offensive skill." Does it really matter?

Let's hope the new owner/management doesn't try to outsmart anyone.

Once Necas is up an running one line will have Aho/TT the other Necas/Svechnikov. All Canes fans need to start wearing shades.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
WOO HOO. Tarasenko or Hossa or Landeskog with "more offensive skill." Does it really matter?

Let's hope the new owner/management doesn't try to outsmart anyone.

Once Necas is up an running one line will have Aho/TT the other Necas/Svechnikov. All Canes fans need to start wearing shades.

I was hoping I could stop, and also ditch the hooded sweater with deep pockets to keep hands in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad