Speculation: 2018 NHL Draft Talk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Great resources. I'm about 30 minutes into Svechnikov's after starting with Zadina.

Svechnikov is fun to watch shift-by-shift. He's like the Slavin of offense in that he is constantly generating heady plays. A re-occurring theme which looks weird is that Svechnikov will have a puck and just mindlessly flick it away. It almost looks like is doing it negligently but those passes constantly find guys for prime scoring chances with the thought of "how did he even see that developing?". His playmaking might be even better than his shooting arsenal. He sees the play developing at an Aho-level.

Also worth noting that he floats from the dots to the net front on the PP creating screens and shooting lanes. That is a role the Canes could really use.
I agree. I think Svech is the more complete player. Zadina has a flashier style. He reminds me of Skinner, in that he's very fast and he really grabs your eye, but Svech has it all.
One thing I thought watching the clips, is how sloooow the play was compared to the NHL. Both of these guys are going to have a huge learning curve, so I need to temper my expectations for the next year or two.
Thanks, vorbis, for posting these clips. Very helpful in deciding who I'll take.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I agree. I think Svech is the more complete player. Zadina has a flashier style. He reminds me of Skinner, in that he's very fast and he really grabs your eye, but Svech has it all.
One thing I thought watching the clips, is how sloooow the play was compared to the NHL. Both of these guys are going to have a huge learning curve, so I need to temper my expectations for the next year or two.
Thanks, vorbis, for posting these clips. Very helpful in deciding who I'll take.

In the videos that I watched of the two, I thought that Svechnikov was the faster skater of the two.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Do we win if we can get ROR for Hanifin...effectively turning Hanifin into a better player and getting a #1C? I'm not so sure...

If ROR is your 1C and you're looking to compete, you may be hard up. I just don't think he's the quality of top-line C a competitive team has.

I also think ROR for Hanifin is the kind of trade that might look terrible for us by the end of October 2019 and look worse with time. Peak-potential Hanifin is worth so much more than ROR.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I don't really think Hanifin is on the move. I think that's one of those deals where Waddell would have to have his socks knocked off. Sure, if Buffalo wanted to send us ROR and Cliff Pu for Hanifin, then sure, I'd consider it....but a) the Sabres aren't doing that and b) I'm not sure we need to do that deal.

Hanifin isn't the problem here. We just need to build a winning culture and he's just as likely to be a part as anybody.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I don't really think Hanifin is on the move. I think that's one of those deals where Waddell would have to have his socks knocked off. Sure, if Buffalo wanted to send us ROR and Cliff Pu for Hanifin, then sure, I'd consider it....but a) the Sabres aren't doing that and b) I'm not sure we need to do that deal.

Hanifin isn't the problem here. We just need to build a winning culture and he's just as likely to be a part as anybody.
Translation: get good goaltending

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If we didn't have Necas coming in and we didn't already see that Aho can play C and we didn't land the #2 pick in the lottery, gifting us the top forward of the draft, I think we'd be exploring opportunities to move some of our defense for scoring help. But all of those things are happening, and there is a very good chance we are going to be able to reset and dramatically improve our offensive punch this year by doing nothing more than staying the course. If we still have faith that Hanifin can be the player we drafted him to be (and there is nothing to suggest he won't) then it would be a mistake to trade him this summer. For the first time in a long while, it certainly seems that staying the course, at least for anything but goalie, is the most prudent course of action for the team. (not to say Francis was at all justified in doing so. We literally had to win the lottery to be in this position, and he's a damn fool if that was his long term plan)

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Man, I don't know. When has penciling rookies in to solve our offensive problems ever worked... 2010 with Skinner?

I will be estimating 40 points for Svech and 35 points for Necas and won't budge on that even if they show up in training camp; major rookie production, especially from teenagers, should be a pleasant surprise, not something you bank on.

Agreed that it may change our long term plans (since Necas does project well), but for this coming season if we don't add a center I expect we will have similar struggles.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I wouldn't make a big move for this season. I agree that those 2 aren't going to come in and put up 50 points their first year, that's a silly expectation. But I am not willing to sell low on someone like Hanifin to bring in a player to be a 1-2 year stopgap while we wait for Necas and Svech to really get going. I think a move like that would be too short sighted and more harmful to us long-term than helpful. With better goaltending, we should be a team that makes the playoffs this year without going crazy with trades, so I'd bank on that happening and hope you can hold all your cards for the long-game.

Really, the only kind of trade I would be exploring now is the Skinner-Simmonds kind of deal being talked about on the Trade board, or maybe try and do something of Faulk or Skinner for a goalie.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I agree with the above, any help should come in the form of Skinner/Faulk types, and not the “new” core.
Yeah, I'd say the untouchables for us are 2OA, Aho, TT, Necas, Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce, and possibly Lindholm, depending on how the team itself values him going forward. I wouldn't move any of them unless it came with a seriously stupid overpayment that is an offer we just can't refuse. Everyone else? I think we should be willing to listen.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I think Necas’ production could be very spotty in his first season, though that wouldn’t really be a demerit on his prospect outlook since his skills are so good.

Svechnikov I think will put up numbers right away. maybe not 60, but I wouldn’t be the slightest bit surprised if he outproduces Hischier’s rookie year, even if the Canes offense doesn’t take a huge step forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad