Speculation: 2018 NHL Draft Talk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Not to mention the lack of respect when jumping at another fanbase's draft discussion topic just to make stupid proposals (especially when there's basically zero chance of moving a potential superstar for inferior pieces). Such crap can be dealt with in the main boards

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Not to mention the lack of respect when jumping at another fanbase's draft discussion topic just to make stupid proposals (especially when there's basically zero chance of moving a potential superstar for inferior pieces). Such crap can be dealt with in the main boards

I used to have to make my way to the trade board to see garbage proposals.

Now I can see them right on my very own teams board!

I can’t tell you how much time it’s saved me. My productivity at work has skyrocketed to the point where I just got a big promotion and Karen from accounting asked if I might want to do something some time.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I used to have to make my way to the trade board to see garbage proposals.

Now I can see them right on my very own teams board!

I can’t tell you how much time it’s saved me. My productivity at work has skyrocketed to the point where I just got a big promotion and Karen from accounting asked if I might want to do something some time.

Never thought of it from this perspective - my bad really. To think of it, maybe we'd all be better off for not having to navigate around the boards and instead have forthcoming and influential organizational representatives (such as the smartypants before) coming here to do the dirty, but clearly necessary laundry in order for us to get these pieces moving. After all it is us the fans that do the bidding, not the guys on the hot seats.

If she's hot don't forget to say hello and if for whatever reason things don't work out as in the Hollywood, you can freely hand over my contact details. Nevermind the picture of the crown jewels that run in the male side of the family. Will forward this later. Cheers buddy! (=

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
What is the word out of Carolina? Is it a given that Svech is the pick at number 2 or is Zadina in the discussion? I know I was reading that some people were connecting Zadina's WJC success with Necas with him possibly being the pick. Have any media people there given any insight?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
What is the word out of Carolina? Is it a given that Svech is the pick at number 2 or is Zadina in the discussion? I know I was reading that some people were connecting Zadina's WJC success with Necas with him possibly being the pick. Have any media people there given any insight?

"Stop trying to make Svetch happen. It is not going to happen."

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
What is this garbage.

Who knows? Perhaps the presence of a special young player like this might even factor into Erik Karlsson deciding to stay and sign with the Senators rather than leaving Ottawa at the first chance he gets.

Sounds like his entire narrative for Svechnikov falling to 4 is based around that being the key to Erik Karlsson signing. As the “Boston Insider” he gets his clicks from the NE/Atlantic region so it makes sense he would pander to Ottawa while also inflaming his rival Montreal.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Is anyone ever going to come up with a better reason for Carolina taking Zadina than his "chemistry" with Necas?

Is Carolina taking him because he's projected to be the better player? Is Carolina taking him because he's a better stylistic fit for the franchise long-term?

The nationality justification is so ridiculous to think about that it's hard to take it seriously. The most consequential pick for the franchise in more than a decade will be decided by a 7 game sample in an amateur setting?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I understand the nature of your post, but there are people here that are absurdly pessimistic and fearful about the Canes on draft day for some reason. If you look at what the organization has done in the 1st round post-Skinner, it’s been very predictable, relative to Bob McKenzie’s rankings:

While the team didn’t take the BPA in 2014, Fleury wasn’t a reach and defense was a position that needed to be addressed.

Let's not overthink this.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I understand the nature of your post, but there are people here that are absurdly pessimistic and fearful about the Canes on draft day for some reason. If you look at what the organization has done in the 1st round post-Skinner, it’s been very predictable, relative to Bob McKenzie’s rankings:

While the team didn’t take the BPA in 2014, Fleury wasn’t a reach and defense was a position that needed to be addressed.

Let's not overthink this.

All good information, but who was in charge of those drafts and what was our ranking vs. the consensus? Ron was fired in part because he didn't listen enough to the others in the room. Do we know if he was picking the scouts' recommended picks or if he was going off the board to take the general consensus of the other listings and ignoring our guys? If he was taking the scouts' list and just making the pick, then we should be fine. But if he constantly looked at the list and then went with the consensus available from outside the organization, then I worry.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I haven't seen anything suggesting we're considering Zadina cause of "chemistry with Necas." It seems more like it's hack writers and internet posters pushing that narrative. It's weird cause you wouldn't see the same narrative if the players were American or Canadian. Hell you barely see this "chemistry" BS even with junior teammates let alone guys that have only played a tournament together. That's not chemistry, that's called good players play well together. How about Laine and Aho's chemistry? I think the narrative is a mixture of stirring the pot, hoping for some draft day chaos/excitement, overrating of WJC stats, and Russian bias. I've seen elements of all of that in a lot of this crap. Stat watching idiots do stupid stuff like comparing PIMs for who's harder to play against. The WJC introduced a lot of gray area because people put way too much emphasis on it, it's red flag that Svechnikov couldn't even put up a goal when the pressure was highest. Evidently a handful of games show Zadina in the better "competitor" and goal scorer. When one of these guys was presented with the context that Russian coaches for some reason relegate young players to a 4th line role and minutes, regardless of talent, the fact that Svechnikov had one of the highest P/60 in the tournament should have shown how impressive Svechnikov's versatility is. Instead, the response was that elite players find ways to score regardless of their minutes. What kind of a dumb statement is that? Of course, when you actually take deeper dive into the two players, you see that Svechnikov is on a higher tier. Not to say Zadina won't become a superstar, but Svechnikov probably goes first overall in last year's draft. We've got the same scouting team in place. We've got Dudley who evidently is a supreme evaluator of talent. And we've got Tulsky who can see the story the underlying numbers tell. All this noise I feel like is from people who have no idea what they're talking about blowing a bunch of hot air.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
All good information, but who was in charge of those drafts and what was our ranking vs. the consensus? Ron was fired in part because he didn't listen enough to the others in the room. Do we know if he was picking the scouts' recommended picks or if he was going off the board to take the general consensus of the other listings and ignoring our guys? If he was taking the scouts' list and just making the pick, then we should be fine. But if he constantly looked at the list and then went with the consensus available from outside the organization, then I worry.

With the lack of inside information local media sources provide, we’ll never know. I’m not pessimistic enough to think that Rutherford and Francis blatantly ignored their own scouts, however.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
With the lack of inside information local media sources provide, we’ll never know. I’m not pessimistic enough to think that Rutherford and Francis blatantly ignored their own scouts, however.

All, or most at least, of RF’s 1st round picks were guys he personally saw at the U18 tournaments in the players draft year so there’s a chance he was overruling scouts in favor of putting a higher emphasis on that tournament. The later rounds were mostly guys he never saw live himself so I would assume he deferred to the scouts wishes more often after the blue chip prospects were all taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad