Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Sure, in an ideal world but that list includes two rookies and we all know that ain’t happening. I think Myers starts in the AHL and Morin ain’t played in an age.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Morin's puck skills are also "below the line." Not sure why so many people cite Hagg's puck skills to say he can't play in the NHL, but give Morin a pass (pun intended) in slotting him as an NHL defenseman. I guess his size. I know, most Hagg haters and Morin fans say Morin is better with the puck than Hagg. I don't agree. I think they are both #6 types.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sure, in an ideal world but that list includes two rookies and we all know that ain’t happening. I think Myers starts in the AHL and Morin ain’t played in an age.

We had Sanheim and Hagg both in the lineup this year. Two rookies isn't impossible, especially since Hak loves big physical players and both Morin and Myers fit that description.

Morin won't be ready to start the year anyway, so it doesn't matter. There's six players and then find a cheap 7th D who can sit most games and only play if needed.

Morin's puck skills are also "below the line." Not sure why so many people cite Hagg's puck skills to say he can't play in the NHL, but give Morin a pass (pun intended) in slotting him as an NHL defenseman. I guess his size. I know, most Hagg haters and Morin fans say Morin is better with the puck than Hagg. I don't agree. I think they are both #6 types.

His puck skills are easily better than Hagg.

Reactions: bauer

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I actually feel that, given the state of the Flyers' prospect pool, a high-floor defenseman would be a really good fit. Hopefully Myers makes it this season and becomes a top 4 guy; having a guy to replace MacDonald or Hagg in 2 years would be really nice. After Myers and Morin, it's very possible that none of the Flyers' D prospects (Kalynuk, the Swedish kids, Friedman) make it.

I'd personally be surprised if Hogberg couldn't at least be a #5/6. He's just a safe, competent, well-rounded defender, without many weaknesses. He's certainly the best of the rest to me, with a legit chance to be an NHL contributor. Kalynuk I'm a fan of, and he'll be interesting to follow. The others, who knows? But yes, we certainly could use another long-term projectable top 4 d-man in the system.......though you don't actually have to draft one in the 1st round to find one. I've been pretty vocal about Danila Zhuravylov being a potential sleeper one past the 1st or even 2nd round. He's one of My Guys. There are some other late 1st/early 2nd intriguing options too.

I actually view it as the reverse though. With Sanheim, Ghost, Provorov already looking the part of a future defense core -- and then Myers instilling confidence he can join them -- I think our top 4 looks solid in-the-making. Whether it's Morin or more assuredly Hagg (whatever our thoughts), they should/will contribute to the bottom pair at least.

I don't want to take some low floor d-man (I'm not even sure there is one out there besides Merkley or IMO Wilde) because I always like a balance of floor/ceiling, but if anything, the growing certainty of this defense core would make me more eager to take a chance at someone with more of a ceiling, who could blossom and increase their own value or make someone else more expendable. Mattias is also very safe because he's almost NHL ready, which could cause complications in finding him a spot right away on an already young defense where we can't find room.

I think Mattias would fit well too! I have him ranked higher than I'm making out. Just as a personal rule, I am always long-term BPA, not fit. I really would prefer 2 forwards looking at this draft. And someone like Tychonick might intrigue me more in a trade down to 25 than Samuelsson.

Love his game at 25 or later. He’d be a great addition to this team but I really think they need a RHD more.

Mattias plays both sides regularly. I'm not sure I'd project him as a RD, but he seems competent enough switching. We have Ghost and Myers hopefully locking down the right side for years to come, so I don't really view it as a big issue. Certainly not one to chase a player based on handedness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We could be losing a Myets or Sanheim in expansion. Have a higher end Dman in the system with 2 post draft years under their belt come that day could be a very important player for us.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think wed sooner trade one of them elsewhere or make a deal to protect them.
See...that may be true. But I also don't want to overpay to save a Dman only to look back and see that we made an awful deal overall.

I would much rather just be DEEP enough, to withstand losing 1 guy.

Reactions: Insurrection

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
See...that may be true. But I also don't want to overpay to save a Dman only to look back and see that we made an awful deal overall.

I would much rather just be DEEP enough, to withstand losing 1 guy.

That makes sense..but I have a feeling we arent gonna want go lose a 22-24 year old Sanheim or Myers just as they are about to enter their primes and with only a few more shots at contending with G and Jake at that point. Big picture, I cant see us allowing them to be selected. If we are deep enough we can do what Anaheim did; protect the young prime dman (Manson) by cutting a deal to give up the young unproven dman (Theodore). They even got Vegas to take Stoners contract back. So drafting D is still a good idea in case we need him as a bargaining chip.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm very comfortable saying I'd rather have Sanheim and Myers than a low-mid 20s 1st round pick. I don't see any way that backfires as a bad deal. If both catch fire in the next 2 years, then we can still let them pick a better-than-average expansion player due to our organizational depth. I just like the rule of thumb to do what it takes to not gift Seattle a 6'4/6'5 skilled, young NHL d-man who will be crucial to our contending.

Likely the player we don't protect (Myers) isn't even getting PP time to inflate his point totals. I think we'll be aight.

Last edited:

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Wade Allison won't even be eligible to be picked in expansion. He'll have played 1 pro year tops. And I don't want to give him up. I'm talking like a Laughton/NAK/Vorobyev, and maybe not even them depending on how things shake out. Hey, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll take Simmonds in year 2 of his 6 year contract.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Wade Allison won't even be eligible to be picked in expansion. He'll have played 1 pro year tops. And I don't want to give him up. I'm talking like a Laughton/NAK/Vorobyev, and maybe not even them depending on how things shake out. Hey, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll take Simmonds in year 2 of his 6 year contract.
Voracek silly....

Reactions: Magua

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Moving Hagg would be great because then he could be replaced with someone who actually belongs in the NHL.

Bottom pairing guys don’t need to be great, but they also shouldn’t be liabilities who can’t move the puck. In 2018 theres a certain baseline of puck skills that should be required in all defensemen... and Hagg is below the line.

I’ve been saying it for months.... Grossmann 2.0
Your obsession with Hagg is getting ridiculous. He just came off a very successful rookie season. He proved he can defend against big and small-fast players, he did a lot of good work bodychecking. Are you watching Vegas? Big strong defensive d-men galore, and big strong fast forwards too - and heading to the Final.

And comparing him to Grossmann, who was a solid D for us, is a compliment; however, Robert is faster and has more offensive upside, although he might not be quite as strong.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Your obsession with Hagg is getting ridiculous. He just came off a very successful rookie season. He proved he can defend against big and small-fast players, he did a lot of good work bodychecking. Are you watching Vegas? Big strong defensive d-men galore, and big strong fast forwards too - and heading to the Final.

And comparing him to Grossmann, who was a solid D for us, is a compliment; however, Robert is faster and has more offensive upside, although he might not be quite as strong.
1443521998164052568.jpg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

They can still use a player like Allison in a deal with Seattle, like Anaheim did with the expansion exempt Theodore.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You don't use an exempt player in that kind of deal, since you're going to lose a player anyway, make is a player you're willing to lose.
1st rd pick plus Laughton/NAK should be enough, maybe have to throw in the 2020 third Ron gets for Weal this summer. :sarcasm:

However, it is reason to think ahead when acquiring players the next two years and when considering whether Frost should repeat juniors, the advantage of #14 and Frost is they could both be playing in 2020, replacing a player you lose in the ED.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
It is really hard to predict who they would take but thinking they would take a player with a big contract on his declining years won't be one of them. They are going to be looking for players in the 23-27 year old range that have good tools can skate and are getting under used in the organization they are with. I personally would wait to see who they want and if it's someone you don't want to give up then use your first round pick that year to have them move on to someone less coveted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig