Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Don't forget that Hextall then goes and adds the undrafted Myers to the mix that summer too!

We could very well have 3 guys who would go as 1st rounders in a re-draft. That could be a franchise changing draft.

4, Vorobyev would go 1st round in a re draft IMO

Probably got 3 1st round talents in the 2014 draft in Sanheim, Aube-Kubel-Lindblom.

2017: Patrick, Frost and Ratcliffe.

2016 is the wild card

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
I wouldn’t go that far with Vorobyev, Aube-Kubel, & Ratcliffe.

Maybe not Ratcliffe (even though he was 4 picks from actually being a 1st round pick)

But Vorobyev and Aube-Kubel would 100% go much higher in a redraft. People on this board are underrating what those guys have done up to this point.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Maybe not Ratcliffe (even though he was 4 picks from actually being a 1st round pick)

But Vorobyev and Aube-Kubel would 100% go much higher in a redraft. People on this board are underrating what those guys have done up to this point.
Not a lot of busts in the first round of 2015, although it looks like Boston drafted two of them. Then there is Carlo, Dunn and Aho in the second round. So both Vorobyev and Aube-Kubel going in the first in a redraft is probably a little much even with how good they have performed.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Talking about redraft 2-3 years after the draft is useless. I remember looking back after Laughton's draft a year or two later and everyone had him re-drafted in the top ten. Now I'm not even sure if he would go in the top half of the second round. You gotta wait until these guys start making impacts in the NHL before you start talking about re-drafting.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The 2017 draft is still way too fresh to say anybody really got it that wrong for me.

Vorobyev was a fourth round pick so I don’t disagree he would go higher but the first round is stretch to me. NAK is about where he should be still.

Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2014
Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2015

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Not a lot of busts in the first round of 2015, although it looks like Boston drafted two of them. Then there is Carlo, Dunn and Aho in the second round. So both Vorobyev and Aube-Kubel going in the first in a redraft is probably a little much even with how good they have performed.
Different draft years

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
The 2017 draft is still way too fresh to say anybody really got it that wrong for me.

Vorobyev was a fourth round pick so I don’t disagree he would go higher but the first round is stretch to me. NAK is about where he should be still.

Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2014
Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2015

Hot take: William Nylander would not go 8th in a re draft.

I think NAK would slide up a few spots in that 2014 draft, but I guess my point is moreso that both players are 1st round caliber talents in an average draft year. IMO

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hot take: William Nylander would not go 8th in a re draft

Who do you have in front of him?
(In no order) these are the only people I could realistically see in front of him and even a few of these are highly debatable.
Draisaitl
Ekblad
Pastrnak
Point
Ehlers
Reinhart
Larkin
Fleury
Montour

Shestyorkin and Sorokin are both goalies who just don't get taken that high and still have yet to prove anything in the NHL.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Who do you have in front of him?
(In no order) these are the only people I could realistically see in front of him and even a few of these are highly debatable.
Draisaitl
Ekblad
Pastrnak
Point
Ehlers
Reinhart
Larkin
Fleury
Montour

Shestyorkin and Sorokin are both goalies who just don't get taken that high and still have yet to prove anything in the NHL.

Sorry, meant he would go higher. I’d have something similar to legion, but with Pointer over Larkin forsure and maybe a little lower on Pastrnak

Reactions: CanadianSniper

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Woah, Nellie.
Neither would be a 1st rd pick.
NAK was #48, and he's in his 2nd AHL season, that's certainly not outplaying his draft spot, nor has he dominated the AHL. Solid year but let's get real.
Vorobyev is a solid player but lacks top upside, he might go in the 3rd rd in a re-draft.

Ratcliffe hasn't had a Frost like season where you go "how did we miss this guy?"
He's scored goals but hasn't shown he can carry a team, he's a developmental project who's developing.

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey
I do like Kravtsov, definitely has potential. GM around the league, jumped back into the 2018 draft at the trade deadline. I guess they finally saw what hextall did at 2017 draft. 2018 is a good draft class

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Does anyone know of a decent draft pick value chart. I know the NFL has a fairly accurate one.

This is all I could find for NHL and it is from 2011.

http://statsportsconsulting.com/main/wp-content/uploads/Schuckers_NHL_Draftchart.pdf

I am curious to see theoretically how high our pick and STL could move up.

Draft Pick Value – Original Six Analytics
upload_2018-3-21_9-8-40.png

This is one valuation method. I believe there is another further down the page, but is reality there is no set in stone way of doing this. Each draft is different. Some drafts have generational talent like the McDavid draft, and to make a deal like that requires an allstar team dump. The Flyers got Lindros for #5 overaall young highly regarded Mike Ricci, #6 overall highly regarded Peter Forsberg, Starting goalie Ron Hextall who had been an all star and Conn Smythe winner, an occassional all star defenseman Steve Duchesne young first round pick defenseman Kerri Huffman, two future first round picks, Future considerations (Chris Simon a second round pick), and $15 million in cash.
And while Lindros was great, the deal was not worth it as the team never won a cup, while Forsberg arguably had a better career and led his team to multiple cups. Lindros was injured (another risk in one of these mega deals for generational guys), but even if healthy, he may not have ever led the team to a cup.
Other drafts have 5 or 6 guys and then a large drop, others the picks are all close in value (here the cost will not be anywhere near the cost where the talent is scarcer).

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-21_9-7-26.png
    upload_2018-3-21_9-7-26.png
    482.4 KB · Views: 3

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Draft Pick Value – Original Six Analytics
View attachment 106319

This is one valuation method. I believe there is another further down the page, but is reality there is no set in stone way of doing this. Each draft is different. Some drafts have generational talent like the McDavid draft, and to make a deal like that requires an allstar team dump. The Flyers got Lindros for #5 overaall young highly regarded Mike Ricci, #6 overall highly regarded Peter Forsberg, Starting goalie Ron Hextall who had been an all star and Conn Smythe winner, an occassional all star defenseman Steve Duchesne young first round pick defenseman Kerri Huffman, two future first round picks, Future considerations (Chris Simon a second round pick), and $15 million in cash.
And while Lindros was great, the deal was not worth it as the team never won a cup, while Forsberg arguably had a better career and led his team to multiple cups. Lindros was injured (another risk in one of these mega deals for generational guys), but even if healthy, he may not have ever led the team to a cup.
Other drafts have 5 or 6 guys and then a large drop, others the picks are all close in value (here the cost will not be anywhere near the cost where the talent is scarcer).
The other thing to remember about Lindros is that he refused to play for the team that drafted him so Quebec had to trade him.

Reactions: IronMarshal

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I don't think NAK or Voro, would go first round, but Ratcliffe certainly could. He was rated first round by a lot of people (guides/sites) and went high second. Scoring 41 goals on a team, where you are pretty much it, adds to his value. The fact that he is so big, and skates well makes him even more appealing. His upside is far higher than NAK or Voro, who are good bottom 6 prospects.
I think we, on this board rate NAK, and maybe Voro, higher than others do.
As for Ratcliffe, he ended up in the second instead of the first probably because it is assumed that it will take him longer to develop despite his size and skating ability. Otherwise, he would have been a no brainer first.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Thanks! Jagr was 5th. We missed on that one too. Can you imagine if we traded Jagr and everything else instead of Ricci and everything else?
Jagr AND Forsberg?! Ugh

I can't even talk about that trade, it makes me too miserable. Loved Ricci. Bought the sweater immediately after the draft and jinxed him. He always waved to me when he came to St. Louis and went out for warm-ups and saw my sweater, even after he landed in San Jose. Waved to me from the bus after the game, too. Loved that guy.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If you want to play can you imagine game, go to the 2012 draft:

Pick 117 overall: Taylor Leier
Pick 120 overall: Jaccob Slavin

For a team desperate for defensemen at the time and generally scouts the USHL well, that’s a huge miss. Imagine where this team would be today with Slavin here. And yes I know you can do this with every draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad