Post-Game Talk: Monarchy Abolished (x3)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Draisaitl saves the day with two goals, and brilliant defensive plays and drawing the penalty at the the end there. Best player on ice by miles in deciding game.

Canada's team advances. maybe the only one that does.
Even if Drai didn't score the 2 goals, he was still the best player on the ice with his strong 2 way play. The guy lives for playoff hockey.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Based on some of the talk around the Oilers pp success one might come away thinking that they have a issue scoring 5 vs 5. They actually scored 12 5 vs 5 goals this series, though two of those were basically on the pp. Even if you eliminate those two goals that's 2 5 vs 5 goals per game on average which is really not all that bad. I think they can improve on that a bit as well.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
They had very little hope going into it. Lots were sarcastic and pessimistic. Not a passionate fanbase that’s for sure. Series was pretty much over before it began. But I’m a believer in the 7th man effect.
Seems like most of them knew the Oilers were heavy favorites, and a handy defeat for the 3rd year in a row would signal change in the front office. I hope they get what they want. We all know what a bad FO is like as a fan.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Even if Drai didn't score the 2 goals, he was still the best player on the ice with his strong 2 way play. The guy lives for playoff hockey.
He's a product of McDavid. In fact no one on the Oilers ever does anything good that is not a direct consequence of McDavid. Moreover, McDavid himself has been a playoff failure given that he could not single handedly carry the team to a championship.

Am I doing this right????

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Poise

Learning to fly with team defense, tight games, and rising above mind numbing bad goals against. Big fella is rolling with Draisaitl exceptional 200 foot game. Impressive to see his focus defending as committed to the finishing work at the other end. To get those kill shots the best player in hockey broke down the Kings with lighting feet and brain to dissect and deliver pucks when coverage breakdowns happened. Bouchard's poise and rocket at top of the umbrella is craziness. Won this series on special teams. Won it with resilience and perseverance. Won it learning to fly with low scoring, tightly contested games required for deep playoff contenders. Getting rest between series also a critical ingredient.

Like McDavid said, "Rest is a weapon"

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Props to Doughty for not blaming the refs.

Danault on the other hand complaining.

Like clearly your 5 on 5 isn't as good as you think if you are taking so many penalties.

Doughty realizes him playing 7 minutes more a night than anyone isn't a recipe for success and that a bad call here or there wasn't what cost them the series.

Most good analysts and players understand that calls by a ref aren't going to be what cost you the game. Barring it being some sort of major that was called that shouldn't have been a major.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
After a bit of loose play in the first couple games the team absolutely locked it down, led by their best players. The last two games the team as a whole has been very good at maintaining their structure and prioritizing smart defensive play all over the ice with special kudos to Mcdavid and Draisaitl who both have had several moments over the last few games where they’ve made the smart play over chasing a chance on a low percentage play.

One particular moment was mid first, Ekholm is behind the net and loses control of the puck which ends up in the corner/half wall, you see both Bouchard and McDavid briefly think about chasing the loose puck but both pull back and maintain their position, Bouchard sticking with his guy at net front and Mcdavid patrolling the high slot. A kings player is first to the loose puck but he’s got nowhere to go with it because our players actually did what they should do and didn’t get caught out of position in no man’s land. With nobody open the Kings player has no option but to try and skate the puck to the net for what would of been a weak bad angle shot but he doesn’t even get the chance because Ekholm has already recovered and comes over erases him and we get the puck back.

I know people have been concerned about their lack of shots/chances at times over the last couple games but this is how you win, it’s not always the same kind of game. You need to know when to lock it down (even at the expense of your own chance/shot generation) and when to push the pace.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I am in the states this week and the ESPN play by play was absolutely atrocious. My god
Ray Ferraro is by far the best thing they got
AJ Mleczko transferred her hate of the Canadian women's hockey team to Edmonton last night. She was ready to pounce and hand LA moral victories after every PK clear like that would be the turning point in the series. Them she'd have to walk it back when the Oilers scored.

ESPN and TBS/TNT has decent broadcast teams that rotated through the Kings-Oilers series, but the duo last night was the worst of all 5 games.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
After a bit of loose play in the first couple games the team absolutely locked it down, led by their best players. The last two games the team as a whole has been very good at maintaining their structure and prioritizing smart defensive play all over the ice with special kudos to Mcdavid and Draisaitl who both have had several moments over the last few games where they’ve made the smart play over chasing a chance on a low percentage play.

One particular moment was mid first, Ekholm is behind the net and loses control of the puck which ends up in the corner/half wall, you see both Bouchard and McDavid briefly think about chasing the loose puck but both pull back and maintain their position, Bouchard sticking with his guy at net front and Mcdavid patrolling the high slot. A kings player is first to the loose puck but he’s got nowhere to go with it because our players actually did what they should do and didn’t get caught out of position in no man’s land. With nobody open the Kings player has no option but to try and skate the puck to the net for what would of been a weak bad angle shot but he doesn’t even get the chance because Ekholm has already recovered and comes over erases him and we get the puck back.

I know people have been concerned about their lack of shots/chances at times over the last couple games but this is how you win, it’s not always the same kind of game. You need to know when to lock it down (even at the expense of your own chance/shot generation) and when to push the pace.
Well said. Stick to the game plan and it'll frustrate the opposition and you'll get your chances. Whether that is due to them making a high risk play to break through that ends up being picked of or frustrating them to take a stupid penalty.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
didnt matter he fist bumped like he scored anyway lol. that was just the icing on the cake
I’ve seen this a few times saying Drai fist bumped. Am I old or is a fist bump this:

people-bumping-fists.jpeg

Fist Pump:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad