Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The Flyers are going to lose either Sanheim or Myers in the expansion draft with my guess the Flyers picking to protect Myers over Sanhein. I wonder if it would make some sense to package Sanheim and the first to try and draft Noah Dobson. Only know what I read about Dobson but sounds like he may have top pair potential. Any thoughts on Dobson from those that have seen him play?

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I would not trade any of the defenseman until the crap show bottom 4 on this team is fixed. I would even make it a priority to draft at least 3 (bpa of course with ties going to the dman) in this years draft to keep the pipeline full. At least 1 dman with one of our 1st 3 picks would be great.

Reactions: Tripod

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
The Flyers are going to lose either Sanheim or Myers in the expansion draft with my guess the Flyers picking to protect Myers over Sanhein. I wonder if it would make some sense to package Sanheim and the first to try and draft Noah Dobson. Only know what I read about Dobson but sounds like he may have top pair potential. Any thoughts on Dobson from those that have seen him play?

Let us never speak of trading Sanheim or Myers again. Please, my blood pressure begs of you.

The Flyers could protect 4 dmen, or make a deal to keep all the dmen they wanted like the Islanders did.

This. Just trade our 1st and problem solved.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
They would have to give up value=Myers/Sanheim

Which is not a late 1st, and the Islanders traded away Hamonic.

Bottom line, the ED is going to kill them. Whether it’s losing Voracek/Lindblom/Konecny, or losing Sanheim/Myers

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
This. Just trade our 1st and problem solved.
So the Flyers will end up trading a 1st anyway. This year the Flyers should be as close as they will come to being able to move inside the top 10. In two years time, with Hakstol still here, they will likely be picking in the late teens and will just give it up for nothing. By moving Sanheim it will stagger contracts and estimated time of arrival for the prospects. Morin next year. Myers the year after. Dobson 2020-2021. Do you think the Flyers will have two rookies on their blue line next year? I don’t so Morin or Sanheim goes. Or do they just put Sanheim back into the AHL for another year......

If the Flyers weren’t willing to live thru Sanheims growing pains this year, I don’t know when they will be willing to. Sanheim just seems like a guy bad coaches hate between Hakstol and the world junior coach so might as well go get someone they might like better.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
they will 100% have atleast 2 rookie D on the team next year. Morin is a lock, Sanheim is a lock, Myers will make a push.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Way too early to worry about the expansion draft. This team could (likely will) look very different in two years (three?).
That’s fine if the trade isn’t worth it value wise but I hate that line of thinking. Two years away isn’t a long time in sports especially for a rebuilding team. Look at the case of Simmonds. He was worth way more last summer then he will be this summer. But fans wanted to use him for just one more year. Some even say use him til next years deadline. Two years away is the best time to be thinking of players in today’s cap system because everyone else is think one year away or less. Being proactive is an advantage to be used against a league full of now GMs.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
No idea why people want to trade sanheim is there something people don't like about him or what? Is there something wrong with having more than 1 dynamic puck moving dman? The numbers sanheim is putting up in the ahl are outstanding. Personally I can't wait until all our dmen r on the flyers let's bring them along and get them up in the nhl to see what they can do before trading any of them. The expansion draft is years away we will have a better idea of what we have on defense by then.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That’s fine if the trade isn’t worth it value wise but I hate that line of thinking. Two years away isn’t a long time in sports especially for a rebuilding team. Look at the case of Simmonds. He was worth way more last summer then he will be this summer. But fans wanted to use him for just one more year. Some even say use him til next years deadline. Two years away is the best time to be thinking of players in today’s cap system because everyone else is think one year away or less. Being proactive is an advantage to be used against a league full of now GMs.
I'm talking more about not making a trade because of the expansion draft. I'm not opposed to trading Sanheim (or anyone) for the right price. What I am opposed to is trading Sanheim now because he might be chosen in an expansion draft. A lot can happen between then and now. It sounds like a lot of teams are planning on just letting players go in the ED rather than making deals to keep them. This is a little different a scenario you are suggesting, but I don't think we need to do that just yet.

Reactions: Tripod

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-nhl-draft-shall-we-begin.2379447/page-17#post-139123781

From December, but I wouldn't change a thing. You always know what you get with him. But he is close to a top 10 lock, barring the unforeseen. Could even go more like 6-8. We've been through this time and time again here, but those picks don't get traded for packages, unless headlined by bonafide NHL talent.......and usually not even then.

That said, Sanheim+1st (our 1st presumably? Because the Blues pick only doubles what I'm about to say) for Dobson is yikes(!) territory -- in value, necessity, and pure talent evaluating. I really like Dobson; I would want him in our prospect pool for sure if we picked top 10. I'm sure the Flyers think highly of him. He'll be a heckuva pro, and he does have top pair potential, but I also don't exactly expect him to be a home run talent either. I expect him to be a high floor rock, with a quick path to the NHL. But he has nowhere near the transcendent offense potential of Sanheim to me. His skill-set (don't just look at points) is more steady 2-way guy than dynamic offense. I mean that both in tools and creativity. Sanheim's potential remains scary to me. I wouldn't trade Sanheim 1 for 1, let alone a high value pick in the mix.

But we don't even need to pull a move like that. You had Vegas essentially catering to team's wishes to keep their young talent. Ducks left Manson AND Vatanen exposed, and neither were taken. Minnesota left Dumba exposed. NHL GMs are a wimpy sort when it comes to this stuff, just look at the total lack of offer sheets. They don't want to sour relationships and an expansion franchise will work something out to get value out of a deal while playing nicey-nice, even if they get less than they could by more cutthroat methods. A late 1st+ should protect someone like Myers, while steering Seattle towards someone very replaceable. Keep in mind Myers might only be done his rookie year (with little PP time to put up numbers) by expansion. We won't be dangling a 40 point d-man. I remain unperturbed by it all, and there's no reason to make a panicky decision 2 years in advance of a fear that won't come to pass.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-nhl-draft-shall-we-begin.2379447/page-17#post-139123781

From December, but I wouldn't change a thing. You always know what you get with him. But he is close to a top 10 lock, barring the unforeseen. Could even go more like 6-8. We've been through this time and time again here, but those picks don't get traded for packages, unless headlined by bonafide NHL talent.......and usually not even then.

That said, Sanheim+1st (our 1st presumably? Because the Blues pick only doubles what I'm about to say) for Dobson is yikes(!) territory -- in value, necessity, and pure talent evaluating. I really like Dobson; I would want him in our prospect pool for sure if we picked top 10. I'm sure the Flyers think highly of him. He'll be a heckuva pro, and he does have top pair potential, but I also don't exactly expect him to be a home run talent either. I expect him to be a high floor rock, with a quick path to the NHL. But he has nowhere near the transcendent offense potential of Sanheim to me. His skill-set (don't just look at points) is more steady 2-way guy than dynamic offense. I mean that both in tools and creativity. Sanheim's potential remains scary to me. I wouldn't trade Sanheim 1 for 1, let alone a high value pick in the mix.

But we don't even need to pull a move like that. You had Vegas essentially catering to team's wishes to keep their young talent. Ducks left Manson AND Vatanen exposed, and neither were taken. Minnesota left Dumba exposed. NHL GMs are a wimpy sort when it comes to this stuff, just look at the total lack of offer sheets. They don't want to sour relationships and an expansion franchise will work something out to get value out of a deal while playing nicey-nice, even if they get less than they could by more cutthroat methods. A late 1st+ should protect someone like Myers, while steering Seattle towards someone very replaceable. Keep in mind Myers might only be done his rookie year (with little PP time to put up numbers) by expansion. We won't be dangling a 40 point d-man. I remain unperturbed by it all, and there's no reason to make a panicky decision 2 years in advance of a fear that won't come to pass.
Do you do this every year? I’m curious as to what you thought about previous draft prospects.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Do you do this every year? I’m curious as to what you thought about previous draft prospects.

Like which prospects? I only joined here right before the 2016 draft. I loosely talked about guys in the few months before 2016, and I did a more organized top 62+mid/late steals last year, plus my usual blather.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

A lot of teams ditched bad contracts (not counting Reilly Smith) on Las Vegas as well. Anaheim gave up Theodore but they also got rid of Stoner too. They’re not a cap team so that does have value of getting rid of that contract.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Like which prospects? I only joined here right before the 2016 draft. I loosely talked about guys in the few months before 2016, and I did a more organized top 62+mid/late steals last year, plus my usual blather.
Oh, seemed like you’d been here for a while. Just first/second rounders, I looked back at some of the guys I thought the flyers should’ve taken the last couple of drafts and had a couple of laughs.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
@Magua have u had any viewings of kotkaniemi wondering ur thoughts? I know he is a favorite if appleyard.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
@Magua have u had any viewings of kotkaniemi wondering ur thoughts? I know he is a favorite if appleyard.

He and I have talked about him before. Kotkaniemi was one of my favorites as well back to the Ivan Hlinka tournament. Though I've changed my mind on some guys I thought I liked back then with more watches during the season (Hayton, McIsaac, etc.). It happens. But I thought he was one of the smartest players in the draft when I saw him, and I loved his composure and 200ft work and physical tools and pro cycle game. Was playing center, even if he might be a wing. Impressed me more than Kupari. I've said like 5 times since that if the Flyers ever drafted a Finnish player, he sure would seem to fit the bill.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I don't like Sanheim as much as some do around here but the idea of trading him for a guy whose optimistic development is to be Sanheim 2018 in 3 years is crazy talk.

I love Morgan Frost but I still think the Schenn trade was bad; if we're lucky, Frost will give us what Schenn was giving us (25 goals, 55 points) in 3 years. A mid-teens No. 1 doesn't cover the cost of that. YMMV, by the way the team is talking about Frost I'd be pretty surprised if he's in the NHL next year.

At this point I'm against any move that sets the team's clock back at all.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
God bless the Czech Extraliga. Basically every game is on tape on their website to stream in HD. Came in handy last year getting a strong read on Necas and Chytil, especially surging late in the season. Been watching a couple games of Martin Kaut (RW) tonight. Hockey Prospect is most bullish on him at #18 in their most recent rankings. I think he was late 20s last, so he's risen. It's why I wanted to get an idea. Other rankings generally in the late 20s-low 30s, so you can see his hype doesn't match their ranking (yet?). I need to watch more and it's easy to do so, but I'm going with HP on this one. And I think they might even be underrating him. I can be picky, but it's because I know what I like. I like him.

I got lazy and didn't watch much Czech WJC (he had 7 points, albeit with help), but Kaut is playing quality minutes right now in all situations (~3rd line, PK2, PP2) and putting up the numbers of late in their top men's league. He's an October birthday, so he won't be available for u18s to scout. But I'm getting *ding dings* going off in my head watching him. Seems like a Flyers type too. Non-stop motor without being reckless; good size and frame and already equips himself well against men; could work on the starts and footwork but a sneaky powerful skater in stride; skilled and versatile, with a noticeably plus shot. Seems like a real smart kid too up and down the ice, positionally and with the puck. Thinks and plays fast. As I said, he PKs and certainly Does The Work in both ends at ES too. Strikes me as the type that will excel on small ice. Kid has a presence out there.

Flyers1928

Jan 26, 2018
Canada
Was at Too game in Kitchener tonight. Frost was ok i though, seems to take long shifts, and might be a little arrogant out there imo. #9 Sandin little D was impressive potential guy for flyers. flashes of ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad