Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I watched a couple Denisenko games on YouTube, and I don't see what they see tbh. They really liked his WJAC, so my guess is it's leftover from that. It's still early enough where they do weird things with their rankings. And I do like that unlike some (Grant McCagg lol) they stick by their guns for a bit. We'll see if he sticks there.

I like HP. I think they're the best and shell out money to get their draft guide, but they're not infallible either. Just remember they had Frost at 60-something last year and Mark Edwards, the head scout, called him a bottom 6 talent after we took him.
Yea I actually watched a full game of him instead of highlights. That changed my mind on how I feel about him a bit. He does some of those unnecessary 1-on-1 moves on routine plays you said Wahlstrom does.

Mostly said I liked it so much because I finally see a top 31 without Merkley.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I like HP. I think they're the best and shell out money to get their draft guide, but they're not infallible either. Just remember they had Frost at 60-something last year and Mark Edwards, the head scout, called him a bottom 6 talent after we took him.
Yup, and they had Ratcliffe 13th.
Ironically didn’t Grant McCagg like Frost the most of the scouting publications?
McCagg was definitely leading the Frost bandwagon before the draft. He kept saying Frost was going in the 1st. I wonder if his Flyers connections (Hearty) had a lot to do with that.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Doubt that gets a top 5 pick. Especially with who’ll most likely be drafting there.

Maybe just maybe Montreal would consider that trade (#6). They need so much to even think about being competitive, maybe taking the picks would be smarter for them. I still very much doubt it.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If we keep both picks, I have already sort of penciled Samuelsson into our list. I could just so easily see us taking him. He's basically the opposite of the Tkachuks - a legacy whose father rules and doesn't suck, whose father is big vertically instead of horizontally.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
I watched a couple Denisenko games on YouTube, and I don't see what they see tbh. They really liked his WJAC, so my guess is it's leftover from that. It's still early enough where they do weird things with their rankings. And I do like that unlike some (Grant McCagg lol) they stick by their guns for a bit. We'll see if he sticks there.

elaborate on Denisenko? Is he not able to use that skill and skating ability because of low hockey sense? Low motor? What did you not like?

He seems like the most skilled player in the draft to me.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Maybe just maybe Montreal would consider that trade (#6). They need so much to even think about being competitive, maybe taking the picks would be smarter for them. I still very much doubt it.

Hextall is gonna package Morin and the 12th or so pick to MTL for their pick and draft Bouchard, then turn around and ship Simmonds and our other 1st to Edmonton for their pick and select Wahlstrom.

Just wait!!

Reactions: kelmitchell

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Even if they do accept it I don’t think it would be worth it for us, unless one of the top 5 guys falls to 6. Players like Wahlstrom/Dobson aren’t worth 12 and 20 to me.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Even if they do accept it I don’t think it would be worth it for us, unless one of the top 5 guys falls to 6. Players like Wahlstrom/Dobson aren’t worth 12 and 20 to me.

I'm not saying it's worth it for us. Just maybe worth it for them. If somehow Zadina slipped to 6, which will not happen, ok I'd do it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But Marc Bergevin

I’m aware but he’s not going to be dumb enough to trade back six spots where there’s going to be a notable difference in caliber of prospect just for an additional first that’s in the 20’s. You’re gonna have to add more quality to get him or any GM to pull the trigger on moving a pick that high these days.

They have four second rounders to go with their first rounder this year. They’ll probably trade Pacioretty & gain another first rounder anyway.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Bergevin needs to draft the best C available with their first 3 picks IMO. That team needs a total revamp at C in the worst way.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I’m aware but he’s not going to be dumb enough to trade back six spots where there’s going to be a notable difference in caliber of prospect just for an additional first that’s in the 20’s. You’re gonna have to add more quality to get him or any GM to pull the trigger on moving a pick that high these days.

They have four second rounders to go with their first rounder this year. They’ll probably trade Pacioretty & gain another first rounder anyway.
Wow didn’t know they had four second rounders. That’s crazy.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
MTL needs more defense than Cs. We could probably get them to bite on a package including Laughton and Hagg/Morin Plus whatever picks

More realistic to trade into the 8-9 range for Wahlstrom IMO

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
MTL needs more defense than Cs. We could probably get them to bite on a package including Laughton and Hagg/Morin Plus whatever picks

More realistic to trade into the 8-9 range for Wahlstrom IMO
If he's even there at 8-9. He could very well go in the top five. I think they stay put unless they are able to nab someone that falls. There are guys in the 15-25 that I'd be just as happy with as some of the guys slated to go in the 8-14 range.

Reactions: BigToe

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
My two sleeper picks are Liam Foudy LW and Alec Regula D. Perhaps 3rd, 4th rounds?? Both play for London. Liam started slow and is steadily getting better. He was going to UMich but went the OHL route instead, very young. Regula is Evan Bouchard's partner. Developing from very raw to much better of late. The good news, they skate well, and they are improving. I think Foudy was a OHL player of the week once this year. Sleeper and riser prospects. Besides who doesn't like their last names too! ;-)). Dunkley on the London team is a prospect as well. But he does not skate well enough. But one site has him as a 2nd rounder. I just do not see it.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Later rounds, target some big skilled folks...
VLADISLAV KOTKOV
Patrick Giles
Albin Eriksson
Ivan Prosvetov
Albert Michnac (not so big but I like what I've read)
Samuel Salonen
Justin Brazeau

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
elaborate on Denisenko? Is he not able to use that skill and skating ability because of low hockey sense? Low motor? What did you not like?

He seems like the most skilled player in the draft to me.

For whatever reason, he has shown basically no growth in his MHL numbers from last year. 22 points in 31 games is flat-out mediocre for a dynamic, potential high pick with his hype. Loko Yaroslavl is one of the top teams and scoring teams in the MHL, so that's not a reason (he plays ~2nd line and PP1 from my viewings). As I said, his WJAC holds a lot of weight. I'm sure his u18s next month will be big for his stock too. If you want to use a high pick on him, you have to be able to explain away his season. I'm not sure anyone has besides chalking it up to "inconsistency." Then you have to explain why you're confident it will go away. Drafting smaller, mercurial players high is a risky proposition, exponentially so when they aren't doing the primary thing they should: scoring. He really doesn't strike me as a player the Flyers would pick anyway. But I'm curious to see where he goes on draft day. I do wonder, barring a huge u18s, if there's a chance he slips to the 2nd. That lowers the risk factor.

I find it hard to pinpoint my exact issue when watching him. For an undersized finesse player I don't demand you be a defensive wizard or physical presence.........but I would expect you to routinely dominate your shifts offensively. He doesn't do it enough. But I don't think he's remotely low IQ. I think his positioning is generally fine off puck, and he understands how to cycle. He's a floater like skilled wingers float, but it's not a matter of being lost on the ice. He'll move pucks, though sometimes it feels like he moves them TOO quick, as in he could do more with his ability but isn't attacking enough.

Low motor? Warmer. He does have an air of passivity at times; no one would confuse him with "gritty." On big ice that can fly better than small ice. He can be a bit disengaged off the puck, little too reach happy instead of using his body, sometimes too perimeter........but not enough where it's a no-go because he does show it in spurts, and with the puck he can come alive. It's why I don't dislike him. He shows you the pieces. I hate dumb players outright; he's not dumb. As it goes with him, you just don't know what you'll get shift to shift, let alone game to game. It doesn't feel like he plays with the puck enough (usually a telltale sign for skilled guys) or control his shifts to me. There's your "inconsistency."

His games are here (МХЛ) if you're interested. #14 on Локо.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA