Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Was at Too game in Kitchener tonight. Frost was ok i though, seems to take long shifts, and might be a little arrogant out there imo. #9 Sandin little D was impressive potential guy for flyers. flashes of ghost

I mean, it's very, very, very difficult to succeed against the opposition they faced tonight. I would say "impossible," but ...

Yeah, it is basically impossible to succeed against the opposition they faced tonight.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Magua

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Man I hope St.Louis misses the playoffs. With that pick I would like from the Soo, line mate of frost, Barrett Hayton, C/W. Then with our pick Jett Woo, Nando Eggenberger or Dominik Bokk. If we nab Frost and Hayton for B Schenn, that is grand larceny.

If they miss the playoffs, you guys won't ever have to put up with me again, because I will have died of laughter. I'm practically asphyxiating already, and it may or may not be erotic.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Man I hope St.Louis misses the playoffs. With that pick I would like from the Soo, line mate of frost, Barrett Hayton, C/W. Then with our pick Jett Woo, Nando Eggenberger or Dominik Bokk. If we nab Frost and Hayton for B Schenn, that is grand larceny.

St. Louis Blues Playoff Chances

Did not play, playoff odds down 1.1 to 17.5%
75 points 35 27-5

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
St. Louis Blues Playoff Chances

Did not play, playoff odds down 1.1 to 17.5%
75 points 35 27-5

tenor.gif

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Avs beating AZ 3-1 after 1. Avs win pushes St.L further from a playoff spot at 5 points back AND losing the tiebreaker.

And if Kings beat St.L, that pushes them to 6 back and losing the tie breaker!

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I would move up for Dobson. But honestly Hayton is perfect for us. High hockey iq, 200 ft game. Interchangeable 2nd, 3 rd line guy, won’t put up huge pts, but he is a guy you want on a championship team, rolling 4 lines with guys like, Rubstov,Hayton,Laughton at Center or wing is pretty impressive depth. Guys like Coutts,G,Voracek, Patrick, Frost,Konecny, Allison will be future top 6, but Rubstov,Laughton,Hayton, Lindblom,Vorobyev,Nicolas Abe Kubel is a good looking 3rd,4th line. With our D and Carter Hart, that is a championship caliber team.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kings getting boat raced today by the Blues. They did not have a good day

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The game is still going & he has 5 points in it so far but Jack Hughes will be at a 2.00PPG pace regardless after it in the USHL as a 16 year old (he won’t be 17 until mid May).

He's so f***ing good. Watching him his first week with u18s to last week, he just got better. Best player on that team without a doubt when watching. Would never know he's 16. Carries Wahlstrom on their line. Runs PP. Toys with people. Everything. I drool watching him. Hughes is good, not exactly revelatory stuff on my end.

I said it the other day, Hughes looks like the second coming of Clayton Keller, and Keller back to his draft was only behind Pig Schnoz and Lord of Goats for me. Last year too I would've taken him #1. We'll see what happens with another year to go, but comparing him to Keller for me is basically as high praise as it gets. I don't know how much better a player of that ilk gets than him because I think he is a Kane level talent. Keller and Hughes play a lot alike too, so not just a lazy USNTDP comp. I do wonder if Hughes sticks at center or wing projecting. I still think Keller can be a center long-term, but I'm not sure Arizona is doing that.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He's so ****ing good. Watching him his first week with u18s to last week, he just got better. Best player on that team without a doubt when watching. Would never know he's 16. Carries Wahlstrom on their line. Runs PP. Toys with people. Everything. I drool watching him.

I said it the other day, Hughes is Clayton Keller 2.0, and Keller back to his draft was only behind Pig Schnoz and Lord of Goats for me. Last year too I would've taken him #1. We'll see what happens with another year to go, but comparing him to Keller for me is basically as high praise as it gets. I don't know how much better a player of that ilk gets than him because I think he is a Kane level talent. Keller and Hughes play a lot alike too, so not just a lazy USNTDP comp. I do wonder if Hughes sticks at center or wing projecting. I still think Keller can be a center long-term, but I'm not sure Arizona is doing that.

Have you watched them recently? They added some more U17 fun sized players recently in Alex Turcotte, Cole Caufield, & Cam York.

They basically gutted their U17 team of their high end players with Hughes & goalie Spencer Knight getting called up too. But they keeping beating teams in the USHL regardless.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Have you watched them recently? They added some more U17 fun sized players recently in Alex Turcotte, Cole Caufield, & Cam York.

Yeah, last week I watched a game and all of those latter 3 were there for the first time. I've seen Hughes like 3 other times, but them just once.

Caufield has incredible skill and hands. Shifty as hell. But he's reallllllly small, so I hope he grows a few inches. 5'6 might even be generous, though he's stocky and was pretty tenacious. He played with Farabee. Definitely stood out, but I was also watching that line closely. Turcotte was in the bottom 6 somewhere. I didn't pay much attention to him tbh. York was QBing PP1, I believe. Looked better doing it than the usuals. They rotate d pairs constantly throughout the game though, so I'm not sure how much he was playing 5v5 or with whom exactly off memory. I don't remember him out there a ton though. I only saw 1 game. I was focusing more on the 2018s, so future watches perhaps.

Last edited:

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Yeah, last week I watched a game and all of those latter 3 were there for the first time. I've seen Hughes like 3 other times, but them just once.

Caufield has incredible skill and hands. Shifty as hell. But he's reallllllly small, so I hope he grows a few inches. 5'6 might even be generous, though he's stocky and was pretty tenacious. He played with Farabee. Definitely stood out, but I was also watching that line closely. Turcotte was in the bottom 6 somewhere. I didn't pay much attention to him tbh. York was QBing PP1, I believe. Looked better doing it than the usuals. I only saw 1 game. I was focusing more on the 2018s, so future watches perhaps.

:(

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

$
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg

Caufield is from a hockey family. Dad is 5'10, brother is 5'8. He has high end talent, though I'll see about the details of his game. I don't like to evaluate kids too hard a year out. One, I don't have the time. Two, look at how much changes from rankings between now and then.

But he has top 10-15 talent it looks like. If he can grow to 5'8-5'10 in a year (then 6'4 in another several years), it will probably still hurt him, but look at a 5'7 Yamamoto going 1st round. GMs are weird though, and they look at 5'9 versus 5'8 as some big difference. Some invisible threshold.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
$
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg

Caufield is from a hockey family. Dad is 5'10, brother is 5'8. He has high end talent, though I'll see about the details of his game. I don't like to evaluate kids too hard a year out. One, I don't have the time. Two, look at how much changes from rankings between now and then.

But he has top 10-15 talent it looks like. If he can grow to 5'8-5'10 in a year (then 6'4 in another several years), it will probably still hurt him, but look at a 5'7 Yamamoto going 1st round. GMs are weird though, and they look at 5'9 versus 5'8 as some big difference. Some invisible threshold.

Anyone that’s 5’7 and under is automatically one of my favorite players. Hopefully he pans out for all the short people.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
$
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg
220865.jpg

Height only matters in terms of reach (and yes, it does help Myers that he has the wingspan of a 747).

Otherwise it's more about build, NAK is 5'11 204 and can play a big man's game, Konecny is 5'10 184 and tries to play a big man's game, Martel is 5'8 170 or so and it shows on the ice. Gaudreau is the same size more or less, but how many smurfs are that skilled?

You need to be strong enough to handle contact in traffic, while you can't hit what you can't catch, at the NHL level few players are so fast they can't be caught.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
So....this thread is going to be interesting if we have 2 non playoff picks.
At this point I hope we have 2 lottery picks just for the off chance Hakstol is fired.
If they miss this year there's no way they can bring The Hack back!

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad