Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not presenting any new info here or anything, but it doesn't look insurmountable for STL to be in the #13-11 range.

1.Arizona: 50 pts/18 tg (to go)
2.Buffalo: 51 pts/17 tg
3.Ottawa: 54 pts/18 tg
4.Vancouver 57 pts/ 17 tg
5.Edmonton 58 pts/ 17 tg
6.Montreal 61 pts/ 17 tg
7.Detroit 62 pts/ 17 tg
8.Chicago 64 pts/ 16 tg
9.NYI 66 pts/ 16 tg
10.NYR 66 pts/ 16 tg
11.Carolina 69 pts/ 16 tg
12.Florida 70 pts/ 19 tg
13.Columbus 71 pts/ 16 tg
14.Calgary 73 pts/ 16 tg
15.New Jersey 74 pts/ 16 tg
16.St.Louis 75 pts/ 16 tg

I don't think it is unrealistic to think they could get #13-11.

• Florida will almost certainly pass them. They are the hottest team in the league with 3 games in hand on STL.
  • At least two of FLA/NJ/CBJ/CAR/NYR/NYI will make the playoffs. If STL misses the playoffs at least two of those teams are guaranteed to have a worse pick irregardless of points.
  • STL looks so bad right now, I think FLA/CGY/NJ all end up ahead STL.
Two of FLA/CAR/CBJ/NJ will jump them no matter what because they have to make the playoffs, which moves them down the draft order.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Love Hayton. Fits Deadend's idea of a Hextall player. Hayton and Frost on PK would be deadly with their speed and high hockey IQ. Hayton or Frost can play on wing. With Allison would make a fast, smart, and deadly trio for 3rd line.

Edit: oops Deadhead.....;-))

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Two of FLA/CAR/CBJ/NJ will jump them no matter what because they have to make the playoffs, which moves them down the draft order.
St Louis is currently at 14. Calgary at 2 points back could catch them and push the pick to 13. Both Florida (5pts back) and Columbus (4pts) would each have to play well to push the pick to 12 as one of the those teams is in playoff position already. Carolina is the only other team that could catch St Louis at 6 pts back dropping them to 11th overall.

13 seems like the best and most likely pick unless St Louis collapses entirely.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
I can see a team wanting a D trading down 2-4 spots and adding another pick from us

Chicago, MTL, Detroit, and potentially NYR and Edmonton will all be looking to draft D. I think Wahlstrom might just drop to Florida or Carolina anyways.

I think Chicago is a team that will continue to put off the rebuild, maybe we could send Simmonds to them for that top 10 pick?

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
What record will STL need from here on out to stay out of the top 10?

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
St Louis is currently at 14. Calgary at 2 points back could catch them and push the pick to 13. Both Florida (5pts back) and Columbus (4pts) would each have to play well to push the pick to 12 as one of the those teams is in playoff position already. Carolina is the only other team that could catch St Louis at 6 pts back dropping them to 11th overall.

13 seems like the best and most likely pick unless St Louis collapses entirely.

to follow up on this: STL next 3 games are on the road against SJS, LAK, ANA, then back home against the Avs.

their remaining SOS is about middle of the pack if i'm reading this correctly

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
What record will STL need from here on out to stay out of the top 10?
The Blues have 16 games left. Of those 16, 7 are against teams with lower point totals: Chicago 3 times, Rangers, Arizona, Columbus and Vancouver. They should be able to pick up enough points in those games from sinking into the bottom 10.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
The Blues have 16 games left. Of those 16, 7 are against teams with lower point totals: Chicago 3 times, Rangers, Arizona, Columbus and Vancouver. They should be able to pick up enough points in those games from sinking into the bottom 10.

With the way their offense has been for the latter half of the season, I wouldn't be so sure...

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
With the way their offense has been for the latter half of the season, I wouldn't be so sure...
You are talking the bottom falling out completely. The blues have been terrible over the last 10 games at 2-6-2 but that’s still 6 pts in the standings. Here’s how many points the 3 teams below them picked up in their last 10 games (I am assuming Florida will pass Columbus for the last playoff spot out east): Blue Jackets 9 pts, Carolina 8 pts and Calgary 7 pts. So the most a single team picked up was 3 points in 10 games. There is only 16 games in the rest of the season.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
You are talking the bottom falling out completely. The blues have been terrible over the last 10 games at 2-6-2 but that’s still 6 pts in the standings. Here’s how many points the 3 teams below them picked up in their last 10 games (I am assuming Florida will pass Columbus for the last playoff spot out east): Blue Jackets 9 pts, Carolina 8 pts and Calgary 7 pts. So the most a single team picked up was 3 points in 10 games. There is only 16 games in the rest of the season.

They only have 5 wins in 15 games since the All-Star break. Their SOS isn't bad, but they're still going to have a hard time picking up points. Since mid December, they've averaged ~2.3 goals/gm

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
taking whichever D falls to the blues pick out of Hughes/Dobson/Bouchard plus Denisenko would be a fine 1st round to me.

Reactions: Jtown

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
As a Phantoms fan here in Allentown, PA Love it. With Frost, Allison, Marody, LaBerge, Kase, Rubstov as forwards with our other possible prospects at forward too. Plus Hart and Sandstrom as our goalies we could win the Stanley Cup.....oops....errrrr.... I meant the Calder Cup......;-))

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't want to rain on the Wahlstrom parade, but IIRC @Magua says Farabee is the better USNTDP winger.

I missed my summons from yesterday. :laugh:

I've probably watched ~10/19 of the USDP's USHL games this year. I feel like I have a good read on every player up and down the lineup (if there was someone else you were curious about). I do think Joel Farabee (LW) is -- as you said I said! -- holistically the best draft eligible on that team. Kid just understands how to hockey and is so well-rounded. He's stockier than Farabee, but I get some Parise-ish vibes from him. Most noticeable things about Farabee are that he thinks the game at such a high end level all over the ice and he works his ass off relentlessly, though he's not a pest or anything. Counted on at all strengths. He's a legit 5'11, and he needs a lot more weight gain at 160 and change. Yet, he wins far more battles than he should at that weight. Whenever he goes after a loose puck or has a guy draped on him, he always finds a way to come out with pucks. It's an uncanny skill. But he's not just motoring out there; he's got soft hands and good vision and reads plays so fast. Definitely has a poise to him. Kid knows how to create and manipulate space on/off puck with the best of 'em.

But I’m not sure I'd call him my idea of a quintessential top 10 pick either (even if I would sneak him in for my rankings). I'd feel more comfortable taking him in the 11-15 range. But I don't expect he goes top 10. In our case with the Blues pick, since we can't pick top 10 and trade ups don't happen, he should be a prime target. If I know anything about how the Flyers scout -- and I do -- I have to believe he would/should be on their radar. He checks off basically everything they value, including seeming like a high character kid.

But it’s more his skating than anything else that is holding him back for me from a higher tier. The skating is a little unclean without high end burst or top end speed, sometimes looks a little wobbly. It's fine, no need to exaggerate it as close to a negative. But for his size, you just wish there was a littttttle more there for a high pick. That said, I feel reasonably comfortable projecting growth there. He's got a lot of muscle to gain yet, his mechanics are mostly fine -- just a little clean up work and power skating and physical development might correct any issues. And if he does improve it, watch out, because it's the only hang-up.

Then you have Oliver Wahlstrom (RW), who continues to irk me. Always the same reasons. Comparing Farabee and Wahlstrom is a case study in more and less than the sum of one's parts. We won’t have the chance to draft Wahlstrom though, as he's a top 10 lock. It's a case where I try to like him more and can't, though I don't dislike him either. Now, he looks like the picture of a dynamic top 10 pick, top 5 even. I get why people covet him. His raw tools and ability might be the best of any forward not named Svechnikov -- and of course he's a shooter putting up great numbers. And he's 3 inches taller, heavier, and a better skater (though more good than great) than Zadina. And he's a little more dynamic than Brady Tkachuk. If he played with the hunger and smarts of any of those guys, he could be the second best forward, but he doesn't.

He’s inconsistent and has a slightly lazy quality that grates on me. He’ll battle physically for pucks if he has to and is strong when he does, but he constantly seems disengaged and floating. His play speed can feel a tad slow on the puck too. I ripped Tippett a new bum-hole last year, who has a similar toolsy scorer's skill-set, but Wahlstrom isn’t brain dead like him and doesn't have tunnel vision near to that degree (does a bit though, like most pure shooters). But if he doesn't have the puck and isn't scoring, I’m not really sure what he’s always contributing. I'm not sold he processes things at anything above an average level. He makes unnecessary overly difficult 1-on-1 moves on routine plays. Oliver refuses to pass up a fancy deke opportunity, even in weird spots.....it gets old since he fails at it too much for my liking, though paired with Jack Hughes the last couple months he's lessened it. Tbh I think he overrates his own ability. To the Jack Hughes mention, Wahlstrom has been attached to his hip since his call-up. Farabee spent some time on their LW, but has been centered with Wise of late (Caufield at wing). Hughes is an absolute magician and the next Keller and does what feels like most of the work for Oliver now. I never get/got the impression he dominates his shifts; now it feels like Hughes dominates for him, and he is along for the ride with his scorer's touch.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Denisenko at 11 is probably the highest I’ve ever seen him. Never heard of Nils Lundkvist. Really like this list though.

I watched a couple Denisenko games on YouTube, and I don't see what they see tbh. They really liked his WJAC, so my guess is it's leftover from that. It's still early enough where they do weird things with their rankings. And I do like that unlike some (Grant McCagg lol) they stick by their guns for a bit. We'll see if he sticks there.

I like HP. I think they're the best and shell out money to get their draft guide, but they're not infallible either. Just remember they had Frost at 60-something last year and Mark Edwards, the head scout, called him a bottom 6 talent after we took him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad