Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeah, Hedman had big hype, too, but he was definitely a victim to being in the same class as Tavares. I don't really recall a defenseman ever getting the "generational" moniker thrown around at them (although Doughty was often compared to Bourque, but was also in the shadow of Stamkos) like Dahlin has. He also played as a regular in the WJC for Sweden at 16, whereas Hedman didn't. Most expect him to have a bigger role and better performance than Hedman in his pre-draft WJC. Obviously a lot is riding on the WJCs, but if he plays well, I'd expect the hype to be nearly unprecedented since I've been following the draft.

I mean, it is ridiculous that right now he is pacing to be the highest ever scoring 17/18 year old in SHL history...

as a defenseman.

Robert Nilsson got 21pts in 02-03... Dahlin has 11 in 24. He has close to 30 games left to get there.

And he is very good defensively already vs men.

Some people might say it is hyperbole... but for me he is already one of the best all-around Dmen in the SHL.

He is Frölunda's #1 Dman at 17, and while they may be mid-table at the moment for me they have had a pretty unlucky start to the season... there are probably only ~2-3 teams I take over them in terms of odds for the Le Mat trophy.

Reactions: BillDineen

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I mean, it is ridiculous that right now he is pacing to be the highest ever scoring 17/18 year old in SHL history...

as a defenseman.

Robert Nilsson got 21pts in 02-03... Dahlin has 11 in 24. He has close to 30 games left to get there.

And he is very good defensively already vs men.

Some people might say it is hyperbole... but for me he is already one of the best all-around Dmen in the SHL.

He is Frölunda's #1 Dman at 17, and while they may be mid-table at the moment for me they have had a pretty unlucky start to the season... there are probably only ~2-3 teams I take over them in terms of odds for the Le Mat trophy.
This is exactly why I hope Hextall makes no changes. The playoffs are already out of sight and we already have the winning combination for losing. Having an actual somewhat realistic shot at Dahlin at least gives me something to look forward to.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Was looking at some names last night. There’s a lot of quality defense prospects in this draft it seems. Some right handed shots too.

K’Andre Miller was a guy previously discussed on here. He picked his scoring up lately. He’s over a PPG in their USHL games.

Reactions: Lotusflower

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
*patiently waits for Magua's writeup*

Give me names.

bMf7CdF.gif

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
How's Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk & Wahlstrom sound?

Wrote this on Wahlstrom a few weeks ago when I watched 3 USHL games. I know he's talented, that's obvious to see, but my overall feeling was a little complicated:

Oliver Walhstrom (RW), as I alluded to, is the most purely skilled NTDP player. Most obviously, he’s got a dangler’s hands and mentality. He's certainly not shy about breaking out the moves. But he can have a knack for forcing dekes and 1-on-1 plays that feel flashy for the sake of it. He doesn’t have tunnel vision and can make quality passes and cycle it; he can just force some plays now and again. His hands and 1-on-1 moves are part of his charm, and he can be dangerous with them, but there's some maturing to do on that front. A good skater, with a powerful stride. He’s got good size, he’s sturdy, and he has no issue battling down low or finishing checks…..when he wants to. His energy level could dip off puck into sleepy territory, and he could take a few too many circuitous routes or be guilty of staying too perimeter or disengaged. That's more my issue. He needs to round out areas of his game, even if he won’t be confused for a 2-way player. Is that effort, average-ish hockey sense, or both? Going back to the Hlinka, I think of Rasmus Kupari as a similar talent player, though I thought Kupari was a better skater, but a little more inconsistent even and not as strong on his skates or in the corners. I think comparing the two will be interesting. Do I think Wahlstrom is a top 10 level pick, as he’s touted? Don’t know. He’s someone my present feeling on is: I like him because I see the skill, but I’m not banging on the table for him either. But I'll keep watching him and all these guys.

Svech looks like the real deal from what I saw in tournaments last year. Haven't seen him in the OHL yet, but he broke his hand a while back. He was really getting hot before he broke it too, after a slow-ish start. No detailed report yet from me, but he probably doesn't need a big one either. He's the clear #2 and looks like the prototype of a dynamic power winger. He just does everything offensively, and looks close to as projectable an elite winger as it gets.

Tkachuk I saw a lot at the u18s, and he was one of my clear 3 top players, with Poehling and Mismash. Haven't seen him play for BU. I know the stats aren't what his brother's were at any level, but the talent difference Matthew got to play with at every level compared to Brady is stark. If he ends up 90% of what his brother is, it wouldn't blow my mind tbh. They really couldn't play any more alike if they tried. Maybe Brady skates a touch better, while Matthew is a little more skilled, but he's a good one. Like his bro, he's very smart and excels below the dot (especially passing), loves to get grimy, pisses people off, will surprise you with his hands, and and is just a whirling dervish of entertainment who skill players would love to have on their wing. He does make it an interesting case study in that he's definitely a wing-man type who hasn't played with any really top talent players. He's always been "good," but he could be hiding his true level some also. Lot of people have him around 5, though I wonder if he's not closer to 10 in talent. But I'm also really sure he's going to be a good one with a super high floor. I would like to see him score a little more at BU though. Looking at his stats, his shooting % is incredibly unlucky because he's taking a ton of shots.

I have not seen a second of Zadina. I need to though because he's looking like a sure-fire top 5 player.

I'll add that Farabee and Kotkaniemi are two of my favorite forwards and both have a chance to be top 10, or maybe just outside. Of course you then have some d-men sprinkled in, but you seem to want to know about the forwards. When I watch someone close enough to give an actual report, I'll do so.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I understand the tank philosophy. But do you really think we would finish bottom 4 the probable winners of the lotto, to take dahlin. Or be sitting their higher and winning back to back lottos. I am thinking more along the lines of 2003 when we double dipped carter and Richards type of talent. A Jeff carter type talent from this draft would be pretty awesome going forward.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You catch any of Gilles Bouchard’s kid Xavier yet? He was a top five pick in the Q two years & was half a PPG average as a rookie defensemen last year.

Xavier Bouchard

Nope. Just the USHL kids and what I gathered from last year/summer, and I've seen Hayton from SSM. This is what happened last year......the promise of the season died, and I flung myself into prospects to cope. Getting to that time again :laugh:

Bouchard has had a really poor start to the season though it appears by the stats. I had him on my list as a name because he did well last year, and he seemed like a potential first, but barring a big surge doesn't look like it. At some point I'll watch him, I'm sure. Whether he's worth drafting at all or when, I don't know.

Reactions: Stizzle

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I understand the tank philosophy. But do you really think we would finish bottom 4 the probable winners of the lotto, to take dahlin. Or be sitting their higher and winning back to back lottos. I am thinking more along the lines of 2003 when we double dipped carter and Richards type of talent. A Jeff carter type talent from this draft would be pretty awesome going forward.
It's completely possible. How many teams in our range are honestly worse? Arizona, Florida, Buffalo, Detroit? This team has more talent than teams like NJ or Vegas, but that's looking pretty irrelevant for this season. Of course the Flyers could take off and end up picking 12th, but the same could be said for Edmonton, Carolina, Anaheim, Ottawa, or really any other of those teams in that range.

If the Flyers go .500 the rest of the year, (which is optimistic at this point) they would finish with 79 points, which would have put them at 25th in the league last year.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Oliver Wahlstrom hmm he would be the goal scorer we have not had since Jeff Carter. Most scouts feel he is better suited at wing, much better. I see his style similar to JVR, finesses. But he will end up being a big dude, and that size,speed, shot, could be a very nice addition to what we currently have.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Oliver Wahlstrom hmm he would be the goal scorer we have not had since Jeff Carter. Most scouts feel he is better suited at wing, much better. I see his style similar to JVR, finesses. But he will end up being a big dude, and that size,speed, shot, could be a very nice addition to what we currently have.

He will look swell playing 12 min a night in his draft +4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad