Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
When has a team played all the rookies and it worked out? I think thats a terrible idea, just teaching them how to lose. We have too many young players on D.

It is a fine balance... but in 2015-16 Carolina just went 'f*** it' and played them all with a 22 year old being their best Dman even before the rookies came. And they did not have the forwards the Flyers do.

And Anaheim had 4 of their top 5 age 23 and below at the end of 2014-15 and were competing.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
When has a team played all the rookies and it worked out? I think thats a terrible idea, just teaching them how to lose. We have too many young players on D.
I don't expect them to make noise but they're already playing three rookies on a nightly basis and despite everyone's tears about Hakstok hating young players I expect Lindblom to get called up at some point as well regardless of what happens the rest of this year. I am not as worried about the "teaching them to lose" aspect when all our best prospects are already on the team as it stands now

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

If this was the beginning of the season I would agree (and did agree, actually). I didn't want every rookie on this team to start the year because it is a recipe for disaster. There was hope that this team could make the playoffs. I was pretty sure of it, actually. That's gone now. Since the disaster has already happened, it doesn't concern me to have a bunch of kids up here. Hagg, Patrick, Sanheim, Martel, and Leier are all being taught to lose right now. Adding Morin, Linblom and maybe NAK isn't going to hurt. That being said, if they don't bring everyone up it isn't the end of the world, I would just rather watch those guys lose than the guys we have now. If we're finishing in last place at least give me something interesting to watch.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nobody gets taught to lose, that's a myth, or teams wouldn't suddenly turn it around (because all their players were ruined from years of losing).
Young players can be taught they don't need fundamentals if they repeat mistakes without repercussions, that's how Edmonton ruined a lot of talented players.

The question isn't how many young players, but which young players, and how NHL ready they are. I expect Lindblom and MV to be up this year, because they're not far away and MV is older. Vorobyev may wait to next year because he's less experienced and needs a full season. NAK needs more time (according to Magua). Morin could play now but a little more polish won't hurt him.

Players who are extremely talented can get by with their talent while they learn, but lesser talents need to master the fundamentals of the game to be effective at higher levels. Some players have high hockey IQ and pick up the pro game quickly, others need lots of reps.

Hextall brought up a lot of young players this year, but other than Patrick and Sanheim, none are difference makers (nor is Morin). Lindblom is the only other prospect who could have a significant effect on this team this year.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Ok we need patience. Sure hexy has a plan and I am cool and onboard with it. But down 3~0 at home versus Boston, I think now is a good time to shower.
I would guess we will get. Top 10 pick. What’s the word on Joe Veleno. Is he someone we should be scouting.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Ok we need patience. Sure hexy has a plan and I am cool and onboard with it. But down 3~0 at home versus Boston, I think now is a good time to shower.
I would guess we will get. Top 10 pick. What’s the word on Joe Veleno. Is he someone we should be scouting.

Who cares? No top 10 pick in this draft is gonna make a difference.

If youre gonna tank, the time was the McDavid and Matthews drafts.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Iffy hockey IQ, not having a good year, riding a ton of old hype, and frankly it's starting to diminish. He's skilled and toolsy, but something is missing there.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I would not put it past Rasmus Dahlin to be as valuable to a franchise going forward as Matthews.

I really respect your knowledge of these kind of players so I believe you when you say that. I have never seen that kid play, so I trust your judgement.

However, given the way Hextall has handled to young D so far...I have my doubts about where he would fit in here and how that would play out.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A top D man fits where he wants, like the proverbial Gorilla.
If he's a LHD, you trade one or two LHDs to make room.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah we don’t need a guy like Boqvist trying to create offense. Lehtera has solidified our PP2 as well.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Who cares? No top 10 pick in this draft is gonna make a difference.

If youre gonna tank, the time was the McDavid and Matthews drafts.
Dahlin is the most hyped defenseman pre-draft in ages. If he has a great WJC he could arguably be right between those two guys. I can't think of similar hype for a defenseman since Bouwmeester or Jovanovski and a whole lot has changed in scouting and the world in general since then. He's well worth tanking for, especially when the season is already over.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hedman was hyped up a lot. He was slow to adjust but he's been well worth the wait. Larsson got a good bit of hype too but he started to cool in his draft year. He hasn't been nearly as good, but he brought back a 1st line player. :dunno:

Dahlin looks awesome though.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Yeah, Hedman had big hype, too, but he was definitely a victim to being in the same class as Tavares. I don't really recall a defenseman ever getting the "generational" moniker thrown around at them (although Doughty was often compared to Bourque, but was also in the shadow of Stamkos) like Dahlin has. He also played as a regular in the WJC for Sweden at 16, whereas Hedman didn't. Most expect him to have a bigger role and better performance than Hedman in his pre-draft WJC. Obviously a lot is riding on the WJCs, but if he plays well, I'd expect the hype to be nearly unprecedented since I've been following the draft.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah, Hedman had big hype, too, but he was definitely a victim to being in the same class as Tavares. I don't really recall a defenseman ever getting the "generational" moniker thrown around at them (although Doughty was often compared to Bourque, but was also in the shadow of Stamkos) like Dahlin has. He also played as a regular in the WJC for Sweden at 16, whereas Hedman didn't. Most expect him to have a bigger role and better performance than Hedman in his pre-draft WJC. Obviously a lot is riding on the WJCs, but if he plays well, I'd expect the hype to be nearly unprecedented since I've been following the draft.

Technically Hedman wasn't a 16 year old in his D-1 season. He turned 17 a week before the tournament but he was very much a regular. He made the WJC All-Star team. His draft year he was a go-to guy as well but Karlsson took the spotlight. Dahlin was pretty much Sweden's 7th D last year even though he was by far the most talented one on the team. He got Hakstol'd. Hedman didn't get a chance to play in the Olympics though and Dahlin may very well get that chance.

Reactions: BillDineen

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Technically Hedman wasn't a 16 year old in his D-1 season. He turned 17 a week before the tournament but he was very much a regular. He made the WJC All-Star team. His draft year he was a go-to guy as well but Karlsson took the spotlight.

He didn't get a chance to play in the Olympics like Dahlin may.
Yeah, you're right. I was thinking Hedman was older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad