Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
We already got our future top center (if we didn't have him already *cough*). I doubt we are finishing bottom 3 anyway. Bottom 10? Possibly, but as soon as the cancer is removed from this team, they'll inch upwards. There's a clear top 2.....after that there might be a semi-clear 3/4....but there's wiggle room after that it appears. Of course trading up is always the unlikely dream.

What this draft is loaded in are 1) wings and 2) defense, which works out well. But I'm still in the early stages of prospect watching and have been more watching our current prospects, only checking in on the NTDP after the Hlinka.

It's a funny draft though. I think there's some quality depth to hold up through the first round+, but the more players I watch the more I question the top end hype of this draft. This was absolutely supposed to be a deeper draft than 2017, but many of the top guys seem to be disappointing to me. Wouldn't surprise me to see a few big risers out of nowhere usurp some marquee names, though that usually happens. But what I'm seeing are some high floor, nice picks without the upside you might crave......and then some upside players with enough question marks to make you question their floor. I'm not having the easiest time so far keying in on top 10-15 players who have that floor and ceiling you might crave. Name a big name, and I get some mixed feelings. Granted, I have only dipped by toes in the water.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Oliver Wahlstrom and Jesperi Kotkaniemi seem like good 'fits' to me...

Though it completely depends on where drafting and if they are BPAs.

The St. Louis pick should have some very good players even though looks like being 25-30 as well. Not looked as much at North American guys this year but a lot of late 1st Euros who are really impressive. (Jakub Lauko, Dominik Bokk, Filip Hållander, Vitali Kravtsov, Jesse Ylönen... I think all five probably have top 20 talent but maybe only ~1 goes there.)

I like Isac Lundeström and Jacob Olofsson too... but they probably fall between the picks at this rate.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
One guy to keep an eye on as a riser is Albin Eriksson. If he puts everything together he could be absolutely terrifying.

6'4, skates pretty well, good hands, insane release and scary around the net. If you want a shooter... jeez, he never looks to pass. And he is a nasty piece of work too. And a July birthday.

I imagine he goes ~2nd round... but he may start to get some real traction as the years go on. One of those players you watch and get the 'what if's' about. Could be quite unique.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If hexy is not on the phone with a guy in central Alberta with a job offer I could care less if we get a high pick and whom it is. This feels like berube days
You know what happened the last time they hired a guy from Central Alberta?

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Imagine how young the d would be with Dahlin? That would be a "disaster", right Hexy?

Reactions: Rebels57

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I can't remember a time when I actually would say this, but I think they need to throw in the towel. Statistically speaking, at this point in the season if you are not in the playoffs you have a minuscule chance of getting in at the end of the year. I love Simmer, but trade him at the deadline and get a king's ransom with at least one first round pick this year. Hope we wind up with #1 overall and walk out with Dahlin and two other studs. Forget this season ever happened. Play all the rookies and let them get their feet wet. It's over. :(:(:(

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can't remember a time when I actually would say this, but I think they need to throw in the towel. Statistically speaking, at this point in the season if you are not in the playoffs you have a minuscule chance of getting in at the end of the year. I love Simmer, but trade him at the deadline and get a king's ransom with at least one first round pick this year. Hope we wind up with #1 overall and walk out with Dahlin and two other studs. Forget this season ever happened. Play all the rookies and let them get their feet wet. It's over. :(:(:(

Its definitely over.

f***ing sad.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It ain't over till it's over . . .

Can't really trade people until the end of January, because potential buyers want to be sure they're still in contention. So there's no real reason to fret right now.

Carry on.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
When has a team played all the rookies and it worked out? I think thats a terrible idea, just teaching them how to lose. We have too many young players on D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad