2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
How was the MC? Any surprises? Disappointments?
Memorial Cup was great. Didn’t run into anyone from AZ but did see Dubas there.

Only real draft interest was Dobson. He had some shifts I didn’t love but his name was all over the scoresheet and the Titan play such a fast moving pressure game that I feel is what’s tocchet is striving for. Still can’t get myself to put him top 5. He’s still surprisingly raw. I think there is upside but he’s not dynamic.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Agreed on Dobson. Inconsistent and raw. Made some amazing defensive plays, and had some major blunders. Offensively it's the same, some highlights and some head scratchers. He's very tall, very mobile, and very thin. The end product could be amazing. Needs time. I've got him and Bouchard neck-and-neck. Bouchard needs to work on quickness and urgency. Especially before he's NHL ready. He's not unlike a D version of Strome. He's going to be ripping the OHL to shreds without being NHL ready. He's going to have to focus on elements of his game that he doesn't need to focus on for OHL success. It's a tough ask. A lot of intrinsic motivation is required for a kid to willingly become a less productive OHL player in order to hone skills not immediately beneficial to his team's success. It was hard for Strome. I imagine it won't be easy for Bouchard. Dobson just plain needs more time and that's okay. He's got everything to work on.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Do you have Dobson ahead of Bouchard?
Not yet. I'm trying to review tape on both before I make a final call. As of right now I have it Dahlin-Hughes-Bouchard as top 3 D. I think it's close between Hughes and Bouchard but I give the nod to Hughes given his more dynamic ability. I'm a big believer in Londons development system.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Interesting take on Hughes from Grant McCagg:

I get McCagg’s point about size. That being said Mackar went at 4 last year and I like Hughes more than Makar. Maybe I’m partially blinded by my love affair with strong skaters. My biggest concerns quite frankly with Hughes are I don’t know if he’s a fit with the puck moving approach of Tochet (Hughes is a puck carrying guy) and the LD logjam that we will have with an OEL extension. If it comes down to it Bouchard might be the better fit between the two. I have those at 5/6 right now on my list.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Interesting take on Hughes from Grant McCagg:

Does anyone know if the tweet that states: "Certainly seems to be a wide variance on all the lists I've seen" refer to Hughes and only Hughes being widely variant on teams' lists, or is this a situation where he is speaking about all players and the variance is across several players from pick #3 to pick #9 (meaning Hughes and many other players have wild fluctuations on the draft boards)?

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Does anyone know if the tweet that states: "Certainly seems to be a wide variance on all the lists I've seen" refer to Hughes and only Hughes being widely variant on teams' lists, or is this a situation where he is speaking about all players and the variance is across several players from pick #3 to pick #9 (meaning Hughes and many other players have wild fluctuations on the draft boards)?

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 2.29.45 PM.png

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I think "dude" is talking about media lists not team lists. In that case there is a lot of variance just from what I've read.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Not yet. I'm trying to review tape on both before I make a final call. As of right now I have it Dahlin-Hughes-Bouchard as top 3 D. I think it's close between Hughes and Bouchard but I give the nod to Hughes given his more dynamic ability. I'm a big believer in Londons development system.
Where does Boqvist fit on your list? Has he dropped to #5 Dman?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Where does Boqvist fit on your list? Has he dropped to #5 Dman?
Yes. Behind Dobson. Who knows he’s so young he could end up being the best of the bunch but I don’t think he had a great season after a spectacular Hlinka tournament. Concussions are also a big worry. He has upside higher than Dobson but Dobson at worst is a top4RD. If Boqvist is our guy then I’m all for dropping down to 8 or 9. Every other D I’m okay at 5 but I have an obvious preference to Hughes and Bouchard before Dobson.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Although I will miss my daily changes to this list I'm feeling compelled to get it out there.

1) LD Dahlin - no surprise - Franchise D
2) RW Svechnikov
3) LW - Tkachuk - I know I'm higher on him than most. I just think he's going to be a dominant physical force for years to come.
4) RW Zadina - Most likely player of the Top 4 to drop to our slot.
5) RD Bouchard - I essentially think it's a dead heat between him and Hughes. Bouchard would fit perfectly with the Coyotes, is a RD, and has a shot that could be as accurate as OEL's. He also comes from the best development system in junior hockey.
6) LD Hughes - Love his skating; hate his size. If OEL doesn't extend with AZ I could be tempted to put him at 5. I just think with Chychrun already in the fold I'd rather prioritize the RD.
7) C Kotkaniemi - Tempted to put him at 5 or 6. I prioritize the C over the W here with Wahlstrom falling in my rankings.
8) RW Wahlstrom - Great shot. He has first line potential. His lower ranking is primarily a function of my prioritizing of D and C. This is about the cut off for me on players that I would be ecstatic for AZ to select at 5.
9) RD Dobson - He's for sure a top 4 D. Is he a top pairing?
10) RD Bodqvist - Feel like he should be higher but that's a hell of a list of names in front of him.

Honorable Mention:
RD Merkley - He has IMO top 10 offensive skill. His ability to read plays in the offensive zone is elite. If we could somehow acquire a late first or early second he's the project I'd be selecting. Hopefully he's coachable which is why he may be available outside of the top 20.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Ni
Although I will miss my daily changes to this list I'm feeling compelled to get it out there.

1) LD Dahlin - no surprise - Franchise D
2) RW Svechnikov
3) LW - Tkachuk - I know I'm higher on him than most. I just think he's going to be a dominant physical force for years to come.
4) RW Zadina - Most likely player of the Top 4 to drop to our slot.
5) RD Bouchard - I essentially think it's a dead heat between him and Hughes. Bouchard would fit perfectly with the Coyotes, is a RD, and has a shot that could be as accurate as OEL's. He also comes from the best development system in junior hockey.
6) LD Hughes - Love his skating; hate his size. If OEL doesn't extend with AZ I could be tempted to put him at 5. I just think with Chychrun already in the fold I'd rather prioritize the RD.
7) C Kotkaniemi - Tempted to put him at 5 or 6. I prioritize the C over the W here with Wahlstrom falling in my rankings.
8) RW Wahlstrom - Great shot. He has first line potential. His lower ranking is primarily a function of my prioritizing of D and C. This is about the cut off for me on players that I would be ecstatic for AZ to select at 5.
9) RD Dobson - He's for sure a top 4 D. Is he a top pairing?
10) RD Bodqvist - Feel like he should be higher but that's a hell of a list of names in front of him.

Honorable Mention:
RD Merkley - He has IMO top 10 offensive skill. His ability to read plays in the offensive zone is elite. If we could somehow acquire a late first or early second he's the project I'd be selecting. Hopefully he's coachable which is why he may be available outside of the top 20.
Nice list and thoughts but I think it boils down to BPA (not need). I see the top 3 as Dahlin/Svech/Zadina, not sure on #4. I think we take Walstrom/Hughs, whoever we have as BPA and I highly doubt we trade the pick to move up or down or for a player.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Q: In the other thread you mention Tie Domi potentially being a negative influence on Max. Do you think a similar thing may occur with Keith and Brady, especially given how much Keith was a total PITA when it came to contract time during his time with the Yotes?

Reactions: lanky

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Q: In the other thread you mention Tie Domi potentially being a negative influence on Max. Do you think a similar thing may occur with Keith and Brady, especially given how much Keith was a total PITA when it came to contract time during his time with the Yotes?
It’s a fair question. My rankings don’t include parental influence. I do think that long-term signability should be a topic of conversation in interviews. That being said, Tkachuj is a hell of a player and I have him at 3 because I believe in him.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It’s a fair question. My rankings don’t include parental influence. I do think that long-term signability should be a topic of conversation in interviews. That being said, Tkachuj is a hell of a player and I have him at 3 because I believe in him.

I'm looking forward to seeing where he goes - hell, I'm looking forward to draft day as much as ever - maybe more considering the depth.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think he's better off at BU next year than he would be in the AHL or the NHL. He was not a dominant collegiate player. Until he is, there's no reason for him to turn pro. If he's not happy at BU, he should go play for the London Knights. 40gp 8g 23a 31pts Is NOT the stat line of a kid with nothing left to prove as an amateur. What is he even thinking? His brother dropped 147pts in 65gp in his draft year.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I bet Montreal takes him now and gives him top 6 minutes immediately.
1) Buffalo - Dahlin
2) Carolina - Svechnikov
3) Montreal - Tkachuk
4) Ottawa - Hughes
5) Arizona - Zadina
:)

Reactions: Heldig

rt

May 13, 2004
I bet Montreal takes him now and gives him top 6 minutes immediately.
1) Buffalo - Dahlin
2) Carolina - Svechnikov
3) Montreal - Tkachuk
4) Ottawa - Hughes
5) Arizona - Zadina
:)
I'd be over the moon with this result. Just thrilled.

Ottawa is bringing Hughes to town for a site visit. He's the closest thing to EK outside of Dahlin, for sure.

I'm torn on Hughes v. Zadina. I'm pretty well set on the rest of my top ten. I'm not sure I could choose between those two, though. I'll have one 3rd and the other 4th by draft day. :)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Let's shoot for the moon and say Carolina takes Zadina, but the rest plays out just like that.

STOP IT!

But Hughes > Zadina purely because of position for me. I think Hughes is something special and the type of player the league starts moving towards. Otherwise I think they are equally as talented at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad