2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Then again, Zadina could score buckets and buckets of goals and has that star-powered personality. Great for the market. Big time goal scorer, big time guy.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Also, Halifax's forward development record > Barrie's forward development record
Not saying this should make for a huge difference but it's always something to take into consideration

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don’t remember it verbatim but Chayka spoke very highly of Tkachuk at the lottery, so that’s not too surprising. I wonder if we invited any others.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
ffffuuuu.jpg

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hopefully Ottawa takes the decision out of our hands by picking Brady. :)
I think you a selling Tkachuk short. He has something the other top 5 don't offer from what I hear from other posters. He is a type of player this team is lacking, big time.

Reactions: Heldig and hbk

rt

May 13, 2004
I think you a selling Tkachuk short. He has something the other top 5 don't offer from what I hear from other posters. He is a type of player this team is lacking, big time.
I have him ranked 7th overall. That’s really high. Above some really good prospects. I like him a lot as a prospect.

I think turning him pro next season would be catastrophically stupid.

I’ve watched him play more than a dozen games between BU and WJC and I’ve rewatched several of those games. He’s tenacious. That’s probably his best asset. Beyond that he’s big and strong for his age and has the look of a guy who will end up big and strong in the NHL. That’s probably best asset number two at this point. Then I’d say it’s his playmaking. He has playmaking upside but is raw. Then it’s puck skills in tight.

So you’re right, that’s not typical of the prospects around him. It’s also not typically of top ten picks in the last decade. And I don’t mean that in a good way. He’s a big gamble. He needs a ton of work. He’s going to need to spend a lot of time on skill development. If you throw him to the wolves now, he will never be a high end top six player.

He’s not Matt. His hockey skills aren’t even close to as developed as Matt’s were at this age. Matt was twice the player offensively. Matt was horrible skater with putrid mechanics. Brady is a good skater. Matt was a little physically underdeveloped for his rambunctious style. Brady is more powerful and battle ready in this regard. If people think Brady will have he NHL impact Matt had, as early as Matt did, they’re going to be incredibly disappointed.

If Brady turns pro next season, it’ll ruin him. He won’t be a complete bust but fans will shit on him his whole career for never meeting expectations. He needs another year or maybe even two as an amateur hockey player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I have him ranked 7th overall. That’s really high. Above some really good prospects. I like him a lot as a prospect.

I think turning him pro next season would be catastrophically stupid.

I’ve watched him play more than a dozen games between BU and WJC and I’ve rewatched several of those games. He’s tenacious. That’s probably his best asset. Beyond that he’s big and strong for his age and has the look of a guy who will end up big and strong in the NHL. That’s probably best asset number two at this point. Then I’d say it’s his playmaking. He has playmaking upside but is raw. Then it’s puck skills in tight.

So you’re right, that’s not typical of the prospects around him. It’s also not typically of top ten picks in the last decade. And I don’t mean that in a good way. He’s a big gamble. He needs a ton of work. He’s going to need to spend a lot of time on skill development. If you throw him to the wolves now, he will never be a high end top six player.

He’s not Matt. His hockey skills aren’t even close to as developed as Matt’s were at this age. Matt was twice the player offensively. Matt was horrible skater with putrid mechanics. Brady is a good skater. Matt was a little physically underdeveloped for his rambunctious style. Brady is more powerful and battle ready in this regard. If people think Brady will have he NHL impact Matt had, as early as Matt did, they’re going to be incredibly disappointed.

If Brady turns pro next season, it’ll ruin him. He won’t be a complete bust but fans will **** on him his whole career for never meeting expectations. He needs another year or maybe even two as an amateur hockey player.
Like I have said before, you know more about these kids than I do, but what I have read is that Brady is better than Matt at the same age.:dunno:

rt

May 13, 2004
Like I have said before, you know more about these kids than I do, but what I have read is that Brady is better than Matt at the same age.:dunno:
A lot of that was hype before this season actually started. I’d like to see a quote like that from 2018. Especially anything from the last few months. It’s not close to true.

He’s a significantly better skater than Matt. He’s a bit more zealous loose puck hound near the net, and is certainly better built for that.

Matt was a much better offensive weapon in every single other capacity. By a lot.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
but Wahlstrom also offers something this team lacks even more.....a RHS forward with a lethal shot. He's only 17 (9 months younger than Tkachuk), already is a sturdy 6-1/205 and seemingly checks every box the Coyotes require in a young top 6 forward.

If Wahlstrom is available at 5....and by everything we read he should be.....I hope Chayka runs to the stage and doesn't chance trading down hoping to get him at 8 or 9.

Reactions: 0point1

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
agree...Keller will make Wahlstrom a lot of money. Wahlstrom could also help our anemic PP unit as the RHS that sets up in Ovie's spot. He's lethal and it would be a huge advantage having a guy who can rip shots.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

rt

May 13, 2004
rt is making me hate the idea of drafting him even more than I already do haha
I’m fine with picking Tkachuk at 5, if Chayka and Co. like him best there. There are two major red flags I’ll be sitting on ththe edge of my seat for when Chayka is first interviewed about him; will he mention “his dad and brother” and will he mention him being “pro ready”. If he says either or both of those things, I’ll be extremely apprehensive about the pick. If he says neither, I’ll be happily content.

I want to feel confident that the Coyotes gave no consideration to his family tree and that they recognize he needs time to develop. If I feel those things are true, it’s a fine selection. I just need to know we made the pick for the right reasons.

There are two things people need to keep in mind about Brady; it does not matter who his father and brother are and he is not pro ready.

rt

May 13, 2004
but Wahlstrom also offers something this team lacks even more.....a RHS forward with a lethal shot. He's only 17 (9 months younger than Tkachuk), already is a sturdy 6-1/205 and seemingly checks every box the Coyotes require in a young top 6 forward.

If Wahlstrom is available at 5....and by everything we read he should be.....I hope Chayka runs to the stage and doesn't chance trading down hoping to get him at 8 or 9.
I like Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina and Hughes more.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

A highly debatable assertion.

You know what type of player this team has lacked since the last time a Tkachuk was in a Coyotes uniform? A perennial 35-40+ goal scorer. I don't think Brady has that type of upside, but I'm 90% confident Wahlstrom does with his filthy laser release, puck skills, and hockey IQ (and 99% confident he develops at least into a 30+ goal scorer). And I think you're also selling Wahlstrom's penchant for physical play short too.

Last edited:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I'd be happy to take BT at 5, but if we do I hope they can control themselves and let him develop for a year or two and don't attempt to force him right into the lineup. I think Brady is going to be a hell of a player, but he needs to develop a bit more.

I'm actually lower on Wahlstrom than I use to be given all the comments from scouts and general public regarding his work ethic on the ice. Of course, putting him with Keller who busts his ass and is arguably more skilled may change that attitude of his towards floating.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'd be happy to take BT at 5, but if we do I hope they can control themselves and let him develop for a year or two and don't attempt to force him right into the lineup. I think Brady is going to be a hell of a player, but he needs to develop a bit more.

I'm actually lower on Wahlstrom than I use to be given all the comments from scouts and general public regarding his work ethic on the ice. Of course, putting him with Keller who busts his ass and is arguably more skilled may change that attitude of his towards floating.

IMHO, I'm not that worried about Wahlstrom's effort level. Frankly Joel Farabee will make anyone who plays alongside him look like they're floating or dogging it on ice. You can develop and coach players on being more engaged consistently.

rt

May 13, 2004

Evaluating Wahlstrom's on-ice energy level is tough. It could be better, but you don't want him zipping around, and hounding pucks, and stick handling all over the place. You want him to go to the dangerous area and wait. That can easily be read as lazy. Sometimes it's just smart. He's usually just doing what you want him to be doing from what I've seen. He could definitely improve the urgency factor, though. It's so odd because he's competitive and eager to throw body checks, but he's also prone to spectating and coasting. It's not a typcial combo. I'm honestly not very worried about it. I think he's got the proper moxy and gusto that it won't end up a problem. That's one of the main things I have separating Zadina from Wahlstrom. Zadina has a little more hustle. He's a little more rambunctious.

What I'm more interested in seeing develop in Wahlstrom game (or reemerge depending on who you talk to) is willingness to carry the puck and make plays with it. He's effective when he chooses to do this. He's more reliant on his shot than he needs to be. Some guys don't offer much beyond chilling in the cut and waiting to get their shot off. He's capable of more but doesn't show it enough. I feel like the primary difference between Wahlstrom and Zadina is that Zadina knows that he's hot shit and plays like it. Zadina gets that he's a start player and he wants that damn puck and he's going to take it. Wahlstrom I think understands that he has a great shot and that he wants to do more. I don't think that he quite gets how much he's already capable of doing. Zadina is a horse that requires no whip.

rt

May 13, 2004
IMHO, I'm not that worried about Wahlstrom's effort level...You can develop and coach players on being more engaged consistently.
That's more succinct than my post. I think he's capable and I think he's got the right attitude, he just needs some development time. I'm not really worried about it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad