2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I really do think that one of Zadina or Svech will fall to five. Tkachuk seems to be the wild car because of the intangibles he brings, so I'm hoping that one of the top 4 like those intangibles and then Hughes or Dobson look like they could squeeze Zadina/Svech out of a spot.

Here's hoping. I really like Wahlstrom, but I'd rather have Svechnikov for sure. I'm at odds about Zadina being ahead of Wahlstrom. Both would be fine.

Yep, I guess all I'm saying is that I'd like in order Svech, Zadina, Wahlstrom rather than taking one of the Dmen.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
This is the first draft in a while that is completely racking my brain. There are so many weird circumstances that could happen.

We could trade the 5th.

Zadina and Svechnikov could potentially slip due to the recent emergence of defenseman. (Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Smith)

Zadina and Svechnikov could go according to plan, leaving a rich list of defenseman ripe for the plucking.

Tkachuk is a wild card that could throw everything off as he is slated anywhere from number 2 overall to number six. AZ connection may or may not play a factor there.

Wahlstrom is a name that could potentially belong in the top five that as of right now, seems to be the odd man out due to early due to early depth.

I seriously have no idea how this will play out. I have tried to use logic and reasoning to make my best guess, but there are so many variables that make me instantly confused, so I give up
Yeah, but on the bright side, I think we have some great scouts so I'm not nearly as worried about what could happen. No matter who we pick, even if it's an off the board pick or a reach, after the last few drafts I'd have a very hard time feeling bad about our pick.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
So a Boston fan calls into Boomer & Hahn (Sirius NHL Radio) last night and say's he'd give up Marchant (in a heartbeat) to get Brady Tkachuk.

Last edited:

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I'd be much less inclined to trade the pick if any of my top 4 are there (Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, and Hughes). I have Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi, Tkachuk, Bouchard, and Dobson all ranked very interchangeably. If my top four is gone by pick five, I'd definitely want to trade back to 8 or 9.
I agree with this except Tkachuk is in my top 4 and Hughes is out. Yea, if those four are gone trade back to 8-10. That being said I'd be very happy with Hughes. He's my top defenseman after Dahlin and Dobson has jumped up behind Hughes. We're getting an excellent pick this year.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I do agree with the notion that whoever the Yotes pick at 5 it should be a really solid player. Throughout my research I keep thinking how Boqvist is still legit... Those concussions are my biggest issue though. If he can stay healthy he could be a player it feels like.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Here's my picks so far in a 7 round mock (which I don't think will make it all the way through). Didn't really get any takers for a trade down from 5, so just (happily) took Wahlstrom at that spot. Loaded up on C and D afterwards.

5 - Wahlstrom
55 - David Gustafsson, C, HV71 (SHL)
65 - Filip Johansson, RHD, Lesksands IF J20 (SuperElit)
73 - Alec Regula, RHD, London (OHL)
74 - Aidan Dudas, C/RW, Owen Sound (OHL) (someone who was not on my radar until I saw him ranked 11th on Brock Otten's final OHL draft prospect board for this year).

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I was a little panicky at 55 because I really wanted Docker or Hillis there, and then Hillis was just taken right before at 54 by Anaheim. But then I realized Gustafsson was still on the board.

I've been seeing Regula go in the 70s in other mocks, so I felt confident I'd be able to pass on him at 65 and still pick him up.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'm high on Berggren, but not that high...Wise I don't expect to be picked in the 1st round and Nordgren went where I think he should be selected. Who were some of the names that dropped?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
edited_page.png

Stolen from the main board (Quinn Hughes thread)...

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Stolen from the main board (Quinn Hughes thread)...

Along the lines of what I posted in the roster thread, I did a quick check and compared NCAA league scoring now vs 14/15/16. Very consistent, 2.7-2.8 goals per game unlike the NHL.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Maybe drafting Quinn opens the door for a POJ trade as they're both LD. Long term we could do OEL, Chychrun, Hughes.

And as I write that it makes me think we'll take Boqvist because we have absolutely nothing long term at RD. Both Demers and Hammer are on the back 9 and the next up, probably Kyle Wood, is a mystery box at this point.

So new long term...

OEL - Boqvist
Chychrun - ??
POJ - ??

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe drafting Quinn opens the door for a POJ trade as they're both LD. Long term we could do OEL, Chychrun, Hughes.

And as I write that it makes me think we'll take Boqvist because we have absolutely nothing long term at RD. Both Demers and Hammer are on the back 9 and the next up, probably Kyle Wood, is a mystery box at this point.

So new long term...

OEL - Boqvist
Chychrun - ??
POJ - ??

RHD is an organizational need but we have some depth with Westerlund, Crotty, and Mayo on track to be at least 5/6Ds with an okay chance to end up being 4Ds. We just lack a top pairing talent.

I was high on Boqvist but those two concussions will factor in with a top five pick. Dobson and Bouchard would be more likely, but this is a fairly deep D draft - there are quite a few top four RHD talents to be had in the first three rounds (Lunqvist, Durzi, Woo, Merkley, Bernard-Docker, Johansson, Regula).

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

So new long term...

OEL - Boqvist
Chychrun - ??
POJ - ??

Dobson?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Centers or RWs only plz. That's my new rule with top 10 picks.

1-Dahlin (convert him to a Center)
2-Svechnikov
3-Kotkaniemi
4-Zadina
5-Wahlstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->