2018 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
If the Coyotes traded down from 5 to 8 or 9 what type of pick could they expect out of it. A 26, 29 or 31? Honestly, one of Wahlstrom, Hughes, Tkachuk, Dobson, Boqvist or Kotkaniemi will be there to take. I would be happy with any of those guys.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If the Coyotes traded down from 5 to 8 or 9 what type of pick could they expect out of it. A 26, 29 or 31? Honestly, one of Wahlstrom, Hughes, Tkachuk, Dobson, Boqvist or Kotkaniemi will be there to take. I would be happy with any of those guys.

Given that us fans haven't invested a lot of time or resources scouting these prospects, we tend to not have strong opinions on what differentiates them. After all, most of the media lists have the same names in slightly different orders. So to us fans, we're mostly just happy to get one of the guys in that group.

I think Chayka has strong opinions on what he's looking for. He won't just be happy to get the guy leftover from that group. I don't think he'll trade down from 5. Maybe a trade up?

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Centers or RWs only plz. That's my new rule with top 10 picks.

1-Dahlin (convert him to a Center)
2-Svechnikov
3-Kotkaniemi
4-Zadina
5-Wahlstrom
BPA period! The Yotes have their list, I hope they stick to it and select the player they want, not traded away for a Kessel or ROR type deal.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
BPA period! The Yotes have their list, I hope they stick to it and select the player they want, not traded away for a Kessel or ROR type deal.
Agreed. Te team still needs to ADD young talent. Draft and develop. Trading away high end picks every year is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: 0point1 and Jakey53

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Any interest trading down 4 spots from 5 to 9?

Maybe Spooner or Namestnikov +#9 for #5 plus 3rd round pick next year?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
we are not giving up a late 1st rounder just to move up 4 spots.
5+74 for 9+26 is roughly fair value. Slight value advantage to New York.

I wouldn’t do it if one of my top four ranked players (Dahlin, Svechnikov, Hughes or Zadina) were available at 5th. If those four are gone, I’d do 5+74 for 9+26 because I think there’s a pretty decent shot that my 5th or 6th ranked player (Wahlstrom and Kotkaniemi) would be there at 9th. Even if it’s only my 9th ranked guy (Dobson) the odds are very good my top 25 don’t go in the first 25. Really good odds my top 20 doesn’t go in the top 25.

Hell, odds are pretty good my 5th ranked guy (Wahlstrom) is there at 9th and my 13th ranked guy (Dellandrea) is there at 26th.

Personal lists aside, 5+74 is roughly equal in value to 9+26.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
5+74 for 9+26 is roughly fair value. Slight value advantage to New York.

I wouldn’t do it if one of my top four ranked players (Dahlin, Svechnikov, Hughes or Zadina) were available at 5th. If those four are gone, I’d do 5+74 for 9+26 because I think there’s a pretty decent shot that my 5th or 6th ranked player (Wahlstrom and Kotkaniemi) would be there at 9th. Even if it’s only my 9th ranked guy (Dobson) the odds are very good my top 25 don’t go in the first 25. Really good odds my top 20 doesn’t go in the top 25.

Hell, odds are pretty good my 5th ranked guy (Wahlstrom) is there at 9th and my 13th ranked guy (Dellandrea) is there at 26th.

Personal lists aside, 5+74 is roughly equal in value to 9+26.

Big no from Rangers, makes no sense for us.

rt

May 13, 2004
Big no from Rangers, makes no sense for us.
That’s the value. You won’t move up from 9th to 5th for less. Or from 8th to 4th.

I’m sure each team has pick number valuation chart that varies slightly. I’m sure they all use about the same criteria as the charts available to fans. Even if the data points are different, I would expect a strong enough correlation that the output wouldn’t deviate too tremendously.

I strongly doubt, for example, that the Coyotes and Rangers management would have a different enough evaluation of pick value that the Coyotes would suggest the difference between 5th and 9th plus 26th is our early 3rd or our middle 2nd, rather than one of our middle 3rds.

I think 5+74 is already a bargain at 9+26 but I suppose it’s possible that both teams see 5+73 for 9+28 as acceptable. I really don’t imagine that 73 becomes 65 and certainly not 55 in any scenario.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
"Just to move up 4 spots" is a meaningless statement to make.

Moving up 4 spots is a huge deal in the top 10 (eg imagine going from no.5 to no.1 for example). Not so much when you're moving from 30 to 26.

rt

May 13, 2004
"Just to move up 4 spots" is a meaningless statement to make.

Moving up 4 spots is a huge deal in the top 10 (eg imagine going from no.5 to no.1 for example). Not so much when you're moving from 30 to 26.
There’s a good sampling of some very interesting pick valuation charts out there for fans. They’re unique enough inputs with similar enough outputs that they suggest they’re probably pretty close to what NHL teams have and use.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Boqvist's concussion history is pretty scary to risk a top five pick on, and that's in addition to the fact that he is already pretty raw. Tantalizing upside that's right up there with Hughes and Dahlin, but I think he'll drop a little. Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard just seem more likely D picks at this point at 5.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Boqvist's concussion history is pretty scary to risk a top five pick on, and that's in addition to the fact that he is already pretty raw. Tantalizing upside that's right up there with Hughes and Dahlin, but I think he'll drop a little. Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard just seem more likely D picks at this point at 5.
I couldn't risk it and I have him ranked as the 3rd best D on the board. Dobson is my 2nd ranked D and I don't think I could take him at 5 with the forwards that are going to be left, but I'm not super high on the D crop this year like I have been in years past.

rt

May 13, 2004
I’ve got concerns about Boqvist beyond concussions, based on his play at the the U18s. I saw a player with an elite shot and elite skating and every single other aspect of his game needing a ton of work. That is to say in my estimation his ceiling is as high as Hughes but his floor is a whole lot lower than either of Bouchard or Dobson. That’s all without factoring in the concussions.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I still hope Tkachuk falls to #5 but feel we end up drafting Zadina (not complaining - just feel he is the guy that drops - rather other players rise).

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Such a D heavy draft. Unfortunate for you guys. Are you going to draft dman with your 5th overall or trading down to draft the best center?
Why unfortunate? Are Goligoski, Demers, etc going to even be on the team 3 years from now? I'm very okay with taking Hughes at 5. I'm also Very okay with taking a C at 5. The only way I'm content with dropping down is if we are eyeing Wahlstrom. Even then there are posters here who would be screaming for his name to be heard at 5.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why unfortunate? Are Goligoski, Demers, etc going to even be on the team 3 years from now? I'm very okay with taking Hughes at 5. I'm also Very okay with taking a C at 5. The only way I'm content with dropping down is if we are eyeing Wahlstrom. Even then there are posters here who would be screaming for his name to be heard at 5.
How was the MC? Any surprises? Disappointments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad