NFL: 2018 NFL draft prospects thread

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Darnold I get but Jackson?

Seems like he needs way more development (as in never will get there) in the passing game that he may not be able to get at the college level (even though Petrino is a good QB coach) that it makes a ton of sense for him to go back. Shouldn't he strike now while his stock is still pretty high and start developing with the NFL team that wants him and is going to work to get him into their system?

Although I guess its tough to tell a kid to leave being the superstar QB in college as I am sure that is a pretty good life.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Rosen declares for the draft.....

I'm far from an expert on college football but from the little I saw of the top QB prospects, Rosen seemed like he had the best arm.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I can see both sides of this. On one hand it seems like he might be better off going back because needs more development time. However, he's probably a top five lock so it's risky to pass on that. For his sake hopefully he goes to a patient team that'll allow him to sit and learn.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think he's a decent prospect if he can fix his release.

DSQpnJcUMAEoosG.jpg

Because otherwise he looks like this guy.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He should probably stay but like the case with a lot of these kids, we don't know the financial situation.

Neither kid is poor if that is the question. Rosen family is very well off. Darnold, middle class family.

Looking at the contracts of Goff/Wentz, they signed 4 year deals worth $28 million, which they should collect on during their first 4 years. Bottles 5th year option is valued at $19 million. So, if either lasts 5 years, looking at $50 million.

Of the 2 kids, Rosen is more polished and ready to go game 1. Darnold, has the higher ceiling, but he will test the patience of the coaching staff with some of his decision making. Little bit of a Brett Favre gun slinger mentality at times.

For the Browns, I honestly think they are better off taking Rosen. More ready to go and still a good ceiling. Don't think you can expect last year's Rose Bowl performance out of Darnold on a weekly basis. He'll need more coaching and patience to allow him to work through his mistakes.

If Jackson is returning to Cleveland, I take Rosen since fans will want a coach in year 3 to get something accomplished. If it were a new coach, then easier to grow with Darnold for a couple of years. That's my opinion.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Well that wasn't what I was asking. Darnold is going to be drafted too high. Which is fine with me. Pushes actual 1st rounders to my team.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Browns are dumb if they don't take Rosen. He is immobile and possibly injury prone, but you can't deny his arm talent. Darnold is more dynamic with his feet, but is inaccurate. If this was a situation where the Browns had an abysmal line and their QB would take a lot of hits I might have reservations about Rosen, but especially if Joe Thomas comes back the Browns should take him first overall.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Browns are dumb if they don't take Rosen. He is immobile and possibly injury prone, but you can't deny his arm talent. Darnold is more dynamic with his feet, but is inaccurate. If this was a situation where the Browns had an abysmal line and their QB would take a lot of hits I might have reservations about Rosen, but especially if Joe Thomas comes back the Browns should take him first overall.

Agree on Rosen. He's a better fit right now. Darnold needs more time to develop. More flash than anything at the moment. Plus, the Browns can also pick Orlando Brown Jr. or another Tackle at #4 (or trade down) to secure a future replacement for Thomas who has a lot of wear and tear after 10,000 consecutive snaps. Start the T at either RT or Guard. OL is a QB's best friend.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Darnold has an average arm and long looping release. It won't take long for teams to time him up and pick those passes off. Couple that with his trouble reading coverage pre and post snap...it might be an ugly start.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
So we're all cool with the Browns passing on Watson now for their pick of QB here (and another top 5 pick and more) right

EDIT: Hey if you want a mediocre QB/future coach there's always this TJ Yates clone

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad