Hockey Pet Peeve

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
During these playoffs I have become acutely aware of a new hockey pet peeve. When players are back checking, why do they go into the spread as they approach the opposing player instead of skating to and through them? Time after time, I see guys busting there balls to back check and then 10 feet away from finally catching the guy (in a high danger spot) they coast! Do they just want to get in the picture, as if they were defending? I don't get it!

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
During these playoffs I have become acutely aware of a new hockey pet peeve. When players are back checking, why do they go into the spread as they approach the opposing player instead of skating to and through them? Time after time, I see guys busting there balls to back check and then 10 feet away from finally catching the guy (in a high danger spot) they coast! Do they just want to get in the picture, as if they were defending? I don't get it!

It's not so black and white but...

Once the back checker has hit their max speed they are no longer required to continue to skate with their legs. They can coast for a second or two. They will no longer be gaining or losing a step at that point.

They also have to worry about the upcoming sudden stop.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
It's not so black and white but...

Once the back checker has hit their max speed they are no longer required to continue to skate with their legs. They can coast for a second or two. They will no longer be gaining or losing a step at that point.

They also have to worry about the upcoming sudden stop.
Interesting but not buying it. The coasting is MUCH longer than a second or two from what I've seen.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
When one is approaching an immovable object (the boards) it is only natural to not keep going at full tilt. Now, if it happens away from the boards I agree 100 percent.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Good observation, hadn't really thought about it like that.

Seems worse the last few years but I think it's just physics. It still hurts crashing into things and even the plugs are alot faster than 15-20 years ago.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
I am mostly focusing on odd man rushes against your team. They stop digging and as we know the trailer is the most dangerous but they never seem to want to cover him.

Reactions: hockeydoug

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am mostly focusing on odd man rushes against your team. They stop digging and as we know the trailer is the most dangerous but they never seem to want to cover him.
Considering I see this from most of the young guys I play with/against at Johnny's, I'm guessing it's a generational and coaching issue. Like, they just don't understand the concept the majority of the time. It's baffling, honestly.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
This one started at the beginning of the 2022/23 season - or that's when I became aware of it and it became an annoying irritant - a per peeve of mine.

It's the way Chris Vosters say blueline. Instead of saying it like everyone else in the hockey world and say it like a 2-syllable single word - he says is like two single syllable words - blue (pause) line.

He can't be unaware of it - is he trying to be cute or "different"?

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
This one started at the beginning of the 2022/23 season - or that's when I became aware of it and it became an annoying irritant - a per peeve of mine.

It's the way Chris Vosters say blueline. Instead of saying it like everyone else in the hockey world and say it like a 2-syllable single word - he says is like two single syllable words - blue (pause) line.

I cringe EVERY TIME

Ajex12x

Mar 18, 2023
Guys turning their back to hits. I understand it's different from when I was growing up but like going on the honor system with your health on the line is insane to me.
I took away that he meant not like a puck battle on the boards with the back checker coming into that, but more like when there's a rush and there's going to be a shot (odd man or close to scenario), and back checker coasting in instead of keeping up the hustle.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

It's just another example of how little he knows about hockey. I guarantee, he has no idea of anything wrong.... after all it's a blue line painted on the ice.

How about when Vosters says a player shot the puck behind the net.... not he shot wide like every other commentator ever in the history of hockey..... but don't get me going, LOL

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Guys turning their back to hits. I understand it's different from when I was growing up but like going on the honor system with your health on the line is insane to me.
Are they doing it just to draw a call? "Insane" is the right word if that's the case. The FIRST thing I noticed when i played men's league was "wow this glass is f***ing hard!"

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

I literally want to die every single time he says it. Like... dude... STOP. There's no way he isn't aware that no one involved in the sport of hockey says it that way, all the way down to like mites or squirts...

Reactions: Giovi

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Are they doing it just to draw a call? "Insane" is the right word if that's the case. The FIRST thing I noticed when i played men's league was "wow this glass is f***ing hard!"
Nobody's taking a boarding call for the team. I genuinely feel like these guys think because it's a penalty guys won't make the hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad