Speculation: 2018 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Connor Corcoran: 6'2'' 185 lbs. RHD -- Windsor Spitfires (OHL)
NA Central Scouting Rank: 96 Midterm -- 123 Final
Connor Corcoran at eliteprospects.com

Connor Corcoran – Windsor Spitfires – Player Profile

This is a write up from @Dom - OHL. I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about this player, but I've been looking at the RHD in this draft, because I'd like to think Boston could target one, with the prospect depth there very light. Scouting report sounds intriguing, and 6'2'' is good size. If he could put on some weight (i've seen 176 and 185 lbs) and keep that "excellent straight-line speed" he sounds interesting. No idea where he's projected to go, so if you could add anything, Dom, it's always appreciated.

I haven't finished my rankings yet, still a half dozen profiles to write, but I peg him in the 35-40 range from the OHL - which will put him very late 6th, to 7th round.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
If semi draft a dman please consider the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL.

They produce stud dmen year after year.

I wanted Cal Foote badly last year.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
I'd like the Czech goalie and Guedereau. We seem to have some luck with French Canadians.

I think we also need to focus our fourth line to have a lot of speed.

Hopefully DS can work some Danny Ainge magic by either moving up or down in the draft and acquiring more assets for our future.

I think we also need a scrapper to get that respect back.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I'd like the Czech goalie and Guedereau. We seem to have some luck with French Canadians.

I think we also need to focus our fourth line to have a lot of speed.

Hopefully DS can work some Danny Ainge magic by either moving up or down in the draft and acquiring more assets for our future.

I think we also need a scrapper to get that respect back.

What "scrappers" are available in this draft? Fighting in the NHL has zero to do with respect. A 'scrapper' better be able to play the game.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Young 1st round draft pick that they thought would slip through waivers.

Now people are suggesting to draft another with one of their higher picks this year.

I see people suggesting some goaltenders and throwing the names out there? I haven't read every page on here, and skim some pages, but I see only one person saying to draft a goalie with our highest pick and well....RocketDan9 loves odd suggestions so that one speaks for itself.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Not ideal but we need to get someone with potential into the system. Not sure the current crop will ever amount to anything.

Swayman is coming off a fantastic freshman season for Maine, who isn't the strongest college team out there. Vladar was a 3rd round pick who was considered a project goalie and one who has shown some promise in his brief AHL looks. We'll get a better look at him this season as he should be the backup, at worst. Keyser has shown potential in the OHL for Oshawa and is coming off a good season. Bruins have goalies with potential.Why are you writing them off already? lol......

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Swayman is coming off a fantastic freshman season for Maine, who isn't the strongest college team out there. Vladar was a 3rd round pick who was considered a project goalie and one who has shown some promise in his brief AHL looks. We'll get a better look at him this season as he should be the backup, at worst. Keyser has shown potential in the OHL for Oshawa and is coming off a good season. Bruins have goalies with potential.Why are you writing them off already? lol......

IDK, I'm aware of all those guys but I'm not sure any of them will really amount to anything. I'm looking for something a little more blue chip as opposed to long term projects.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
IDK, I'm aware of all those guys but I'm not sure any of them will really amount to anything. I'm looking for something a little more blue chip as opposed to long term projects.

But the position you're looking at is a "long term" position anyway. Goalie is the one position where it's going to take some time to develop. Are any of the goalies in this upcoming draft blue chip? Wasn't last years class stronger?

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
But the position you're looking at is a "long term" position anyway. Goalie is the one position where it's going to take some time to develop. Are any of the goalies in this upcoming draft blue chip? Wasn't last years class stronger?

Yup, in theory Jake Ottinger was the top goalie in last year's draft. Swayman was arguable better than him last year (for a weaker team)

Right the last true Blue Chipper goalie prospect was probably Jack Campbell back in 2011, and he of coursed failed.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

No doubt, goalies are almost always long term projects , it's just that some project better than others, some are longer projects than others . With Rask (31) and Dobby (32) it's time to put their replacements in place. Not overwhelmed by what the cupboard holds so far. We are going to need not 1 but 2 solid goalies going forward. The longer a goalie takes to develop the lower the odds that he becomes something.Yes, I know, some very good goalies have taken long to develop, I'm just hoping I'm still alive before it happens :laugh:.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
This guy who runs The Draft Analyst | Your NHL Draft Resource is saying this is the best draft in years,I'm not buying into it for 1. he's the only one saying it as others that i follow have said its average or slightly above average and 2. he's a Rangers fan and I think he's caught a case of rebuild fever with all those first round picks. Unfortunately for him there is no cure

The site itself is worth the time checking out,lots of good info

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
This guy who runs The Draft Analyst | Your NHL Draft Resource is saying this is the best draft in years,I'm not buying into it for 1. he's the only one saying it as others that i follow have said its average or slightly above average and 2. he's a Rangers fan and I think he's caught a case of rebuild fever with all those first round picks. Unfortunately for him there is no cure

I think this draft stinks. Outside of dahlin, all the top D are under 6’. All the top forwards aren’t considered elite level. Maybe the draft is deep but it’s not high end

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I think this draft stinks. Outside of dahlin, all the top D are under 6’

not true at all. in fact, the 2 best defensemen IMO other than dahlin are both very good-sized, right-shot guys
in noah dobson and evan bouchard. they both have pietrangelo/carlson-type qualities from what i've seen.
bruins won't sniff either of them, but figured we should have an accurate portrayal of what this draft is.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
not true at all. in fact, the 2 best defensemen IMO other than dahlin are both very good-sized, right-shot guys
in noah dobson and evan bouchard. they both have pietrangelo/carlson-type qualities from what i've seen.
bruins won't sniff either of them, but figured we should have an accurate portrayal of what this draft is.

I thought it was all 5-9 guys like hughes

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I think this draft stinks. Outside of dahlin, all the top D are under 6’. All the top forwards aren’t considered elite level. Maybe the draft is deep but it’s not high end

And Svechnikov is considered by many to be the best pure goal scorer since Alex Ovechkin.

This draft is a defence heavy draft. A few guys with legit number 1 projections (Nugs already mentioned them). Not a lot projected as solid number 2's but a lot of guys that are projected as #3's or #4's at the NHL level.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
So if Adam Mascherin isn't signed by June 1, he will re-enter the draft. No idea where he would go, but I assume 2nd-3rd round, based on his OHL numbers. Unless he's a guy that drops because he, by the time this happens, would have refused to sign with FLA. Intriguing prospect though. I have no idea if Boston liked him in 2016, but if they did, would you take a shot with him at #57, if he is there?

https://www.tsn.ca/report-mascherin-won-t-sign-with-panthers-1.1034535

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA

The Draft Analyst is the best free NHL draft site. He is a Rangers fan but he has no problem calling them out or praising other teams. He's been quite harsh on Rangers drafting, even calling them out for picking Andersson too early last year but also praising them for Chytil with pick 21.

The consensus among experts of 3 recent drafts were:
2014 - Sucks, only good top 15 or so
2015 - Best since 2003
2016 - Only 1 good round and drops off a cliff

After the 2017-2018 season, I would have expected more players from later rounds in 2015 to have made it to the NHL by now if it really is as deep as forecast. The guys from the 2016 draft, so far, seem to be having a greater impact than their respective counterparts in the 2015 draft.
And the 2014 draft maybe be thin after the 1st round but there are at least 2 good players in every round (through 5) already in the NHL. It might be my bias as this was the best Bruins draft class in a generation or two.

EDIT:
I just realized that there could be a lot of impact college players from the 2015 draft, like Donato from 2014, that are still in college.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad