Speculation: 2018 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Those with serious character issues will never make the cut. Kirill Kabanov is a classic example. Talented and with skill, but some serious character issues that were well documented. Fell to the 3rd round because of those issues. Two years in the AHL before being sent to the ECHL. A total of 13 games over 2 KHL seasons - couldn't even make it there. Now playing in Denmark.

More recently, Anthony DeAngelo. 19th overall pick in 2014 already on his third NHL franchise.

Those types of players will always get drafted because there will always be someone out there that believes they "can change them."

Let someone else deal with those issues.
thanks Dom, was what I "thought" but obviously not having inside knowledge, didn`t know 100%. I think there are some things scouts/Gm`s might overlook as simply youthful foolishness that one would get over with age but there`s definitely some things that are simply red flags. Here in Halifax over my years, there have been a few players who it became very public knowledge that their off ice attitude/commitment wasn`t there. Hard to escape in such a small market where your pretty much the only game in town

No clue if any of them had pro potential but every one of those who had well advertised issues were ignored come draft time.

Thanks again

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
2 ohl guys maybe around in the 2nd I’d like are Rasmus sandin and Linus nyman. Nyman is an undersized left wing who put up 85 points and sandin is a 5-11 left D who put up 45 points

Reactions: rocketdan9

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
2 ohl guys maybe around in the 2nd I’d like are Rasmus sandin and Linus nyman. Nyman is an undersized left wing who put up 85 points and sandin is a 5-11 left D who put up 45 points

I very much doubt Sandin will be available at 57. He passed Merkley as the second best d-man from the OHL months ago.

Nyman should have been drafted last season as far as I am concerned. I had him ranked 26th from the OHL a season ago, and I know a couple of guys who kicked themselves in the butt for not pushing for him in 2017. But I have a red flag now. The day after his season ended, he signed back home in Finland for next season.

As far as I know, he won't be at the combine in Buffalo and he's not in North America at present to do interviews. I know people that think it's a good thing because he'll be drafted as a Euro, therefore eligible for the AHL, which isn't true because he has a contract in Europe. Once that expires then he will be eligible for the AHL. It would have been the same if he stayed in the OHL for next season.

Hard to say if he wants to play in Europe, was given bad advice....who knows.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
What about drafting a top goalie prospect at 57?

Unless the Bruins feel confident that one of Vladar, Swayman, Keyser can replace Rask in a few years

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I very much doubt Sandin will be available at 57. He passed Merkley as the second best d-man from the OHL months ago.

Nyman should have been drafted last season as far as I am concerned. I had him ranked 26th from the OHL a season ago, and I know a couple of guys who kicked themselves in the butt for not pushing for him in 2017. But I have a red flag now. The day after his season ended, he signed back home in Finland for next season.

As far as I know, he won't be at the combine in Buffalo and he's not in North America at present to do interviews. I know people that think it's a good thing because he'll be drafted as a Euro, therefore eligible for the AHL, which isn't true because he has a contract in Europe. Once that expires then he will be eligible for the AHL. It would have been the same if he stayed in the OHL for next season.

Hard to say if he wants to play in Europe, was given bad advice....who knows.

I don’t necessarily think it’s a big deal he’s going to Europe in what would be an overage season in the ohl. Very rarely do euros who are good enough not at least give it a try for a couple years to see if they are nhl material before going back to Europe. Year or 2 in Europe, ahl for a couple to see if he can make the league and either he can or he’s back in Europe. Playing against men might help him understand that he has to get stronger to succeed unlike the ohl where he’d dominate next year despite being 160 pounds.

I’m playing the law of averages with sandin. Are there really going to be 3 Rasmus’ drafted in the first round?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
What about drafting a top goalie prospect at 57?

Unless the Bruins feel confident that one of Vladar, Swayman, Keyser can replace Rask in a few years

I’m out on drafting goalies before round 4 from now until the end of time

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Over-agers for 2018 draft that could be chosen in the early rounds...

Sean Durzi
Linus Nyman
Joey Keane

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I don’t necessarily think it’s a big deal he’s going to Europe in what would be an overage season in the ohl. Very rarely do euros who are good enough not at least give it a try for a couple years to see if they are nhl material before going back to Europe. Year or 2 in Europe, ahl for a couple to see if he can make the league and either he can or he’s back in Europe. Playing against men might help him understand that he has to get stronger to succeed unlike the ohl where he’d dominate next year despite being 160 pounds.

I’m playing the law of averages with sandin. Are there really going to be 3 Rasmus’ drafted in the first round?

I saw one ranking today that has Rasmus Sandin ahead of Evan Bouchard.

As for Nyman, next year would not be his overage year in the OHL

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I saw one ranking today that has Rasmus Sandin ahead of Evan Bouchard.

As for Nyman, next year would not be his overage year in the OHL

you turned me onto sandin verrrrrrrrry early in the season. i have him #22 right now.
a shame that we have no chance at him. love his game and his character.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I wonder if the DS will trade into the first round?

you turned me onto sandin verrrrrrrrry early in the season. i have him #22 right now.
a shame that we have no chance at him. love his game and his character.

I have a hunch that Sweeney will make a deal to have Boston get a first-round pick—one of Edmonton's #10, Chicago's #27 or St. Louis's #29.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I don't like the idea of an overager for the Bruins, given all the top end depth, I'd much prefer guys who can wait 2-3 years before a pro contract.

Eh...If an overager is the BPA available, you take him. You can never have too much depth. If a guy, overage/underage shows he's ready (NHL or in an overager's case, potentially AHL), I'm more than fine with that guy. Top end depth is nice, but it can disappear quickly.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Liam Foudy is interesting to me. Kind of shares some traits with Shenyshyn and Studnicka profiles/picks...seems to be a consensus top 5 or so skater in the draft. Built like Studnicka....much like Shenyshyn he was buried on a deep team until London shipped out 4 vets to rebuild and he started getting top minutes and the points came quickly. Sounds like he needs to develop defensively and at the dot to stay at center...as a left shot he may lose a little value in terms of the Bruins organizational need if he had to move to wing but probably not worth weighing heavily at this point

https://thehockeywriters.com/liam-foudy-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Looking for his gamelogs to present data to capture his late season surge I came across Dom's profile on him which provides it:

Liam Foudy – London Knights – Player Profile

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Liam Foudy is interesting to me. Kind of shares some traits with Shenyshyn and Studnicka profiles/picks...seems to be a consensus top 5 or so skater in the draft. Built like Studnicka....much like Shenyshyn he was buried on a deep team until London shipped out 4 vets to rebuild and he started getting top minutes and the points came quickly. Sounds like he needs to develop defensively and at the dot to stay at center...as a left shot he may lose a little value in terms of the Bruins organizational need if he had to move to wing but probably not worth weighing heavily at this point

Liam Foudy - 2018 NHL Draft Prospect Profile

Looking for his gamelogs to present data to capture his late season surge I came across Dom's profile on him which provides it:

Thanks for the mention.

I've profiled 40 plus players this year from the OHL, and for the first time the OJHL, and have about 10 more to do, so it covers everyone that would potentially be drafted.

Anyone can use the search feature to find any player they have interest in from round 1 to round 7.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

https://thehockeywriters.com/liam-foudy-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

i don't think we'll have a shot at foudy unless we move up. he seems to be in that 25-40 range, definitely
trending up with a strong finish.

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
I got a feeling the bruins will draft a goalie lots talk that they need to retool that position...top goalies for this draft:
Jakub Skarek
Olivier Rodrigue
Kevin Mandolese
Jacob Ingham
Amir Miftakhov
Justus Annunen
Alexis Gravel
Lukas Dostal
Jett Alexander
Olof Lindbom

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I got a feeling the bruins will draft a goalie lots talk that they need to retool that position...top goalies for this draft:
Jakub Skarek
Olivier Rodrigue
Kevin Mandolese
Jacob Ingham
Amir Miftakhov
Justus Annunen
Alexis Gravel
Lukas Dostal
Jett Alexander
Olof Lindbom

It is possible, but they did go Big into goalies last year drafting Swayman who was outstanding last year, and signing Keyser who had a very strong year in juniors

If someone they like, especially someone they can store for 3-4 years is available at some point in the draft, I could see them do it, but I don't thin it is a huge priority

Reactions: BiGBear8

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Connor Corcoran: 6'2'' 185 lbs. RHD -- Windsor Spitfires (OHL)
NA Central Scouting Rank: 96 Midterm -- 123 Final
Connor Corcoran at eliteprospects.com

Corcoran is a two-way defender who is a very good skater with excellent straight-line speed and very good mobility. Defensively, he closes his gaps extremely well. His speed and mobility allow him to keep players wide. He has good size and doesn’t shy away from the physical game and plays the body well to separate the opposition from the puck.

Connor Corcoran – Windsor Spitfires – Player Profile

This is a write up from @Dom - OHL. I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about this player, but I've been looking at the RHD in this draft, because I'd like to think Boston could target one, with the prospect depth there very light. Scouting report sounds intriguing, and 6'2'' is good size. If he could put on some weight (i've seen 176 and 185 lbs) and keep that "excellent straight-line speed" he sounds interesting. No idea where he's projected to go, so if you could add anything, Dom, it's always appreciated.

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
Aleksi Heponiemi....anyone know if hes not signed by TB is he a free agent or goes back into this years draft.I like this player:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->