WC: 2018 Division I, II, III

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So Protčenko is indeed left out of Lithuania's roster for good old "veteran presence, experience, etc.". Because obviously, some 37-year-old guy who can hardly skate is better because reasons. The saving grace is that it's unlikely to make a huge difference, top 6 D is solid but still. I guess having nothing to choose from really saves from these kinds of situations.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Well I will retract, in part, my concerns for the Georgians using Russian players. In their 11-1 win over Hong Kong today ethnic Georgians had 9 goals, and while I didn't get to see the game, the scoresheet suggests the Russian players played a minimal role (going by plus/minus and assists at least). Hopefully the Georgians show up for the last two games as well, and show the federation they don't need to bring in Russians.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
Division II Group B:
The winner of the game Spain - New Zealand will be promoted to D IIA.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Luxembourg defeats DPRK Korea (North Korea) 2-1. I do believe that is the first victory for Luxembourg over Korea ever, and marks Luxembourg's first ever win at the Division IIB level. Don't think it will be enough to keep them from being relegated, but still a great showing on their part.

Marky1999

Sep 5, 2016
Luxembourg defeats DPRK Korea (North Korea) 2-1. I do believe that is the first victory for Luxembourg over Korea ever, and marks Luxembourg's first ever win at the Division IIB level. Don't think it will be enough to keep them from being relegated, but still a great showing on their part.

Doesn’t North Korea have a lower goal difference than Luxembourg?

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Final roster Croatia

G
Krešimir Mate Tomljenović - Annecy
Vito Nikolić - Medveščak

D
Nikola Senzel - Medveščak
Marko Tadić - Medveščak
Domen Vedlin - Medveščak
Ivan Puzić - Medveščak/Havirov
Jan Smolec - Medveščak
Bruno Kegalj - Medveščak
Borna Šilović - Annecy
Ivan Šijan - Gjovik

F
Ivan Brenčun - Medveščak
Ivan Janković - Medveščak
Tomislav Zanoški - Medveščak
David Brine - Medveščak
Josip Jazbec - Medveščak
Bruno Fičur - Medveščak
Matija Miličić - Medveščak
Mislav Blagus - Zagreb
Luka Jarčov - Zagreb
Borna Rendulić - Vitjaz
Dominik Kanaet - Dubnica
Luka Vukoja - Alingsas
Marko Šakić - Frankfurt Lowen II

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If Romania brings their A team that's a pretty serious relegation contender if you asked me.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It looks like the stars really are aligning pretty well for Lithuania, Japan will be missing Obara, Hirano, Ueno, Haga, Sho Sato, Minoshima.. That is a lot of names missing. Those are 3 leading point getters and top scoring D in last year's WC absent.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Doesn’t North Korea have a lower goal difference than Luxembourg?

It does look that way, but Luxembourg is the one who was relegated. I'm not sure, but looking at the standings I think the tie-breaker was goals-for, as that is the only thing North Korea has on Luxembourg (12-6).

At the other end of the tournament, Spain defeated New Zealand and is heading to Division IIA next year.

And Georgia lost a close match against South Africa yesterday, leading to an interesting final day in Division III: Georgia, Turkey, and Bulgaria are all tied with 9 points. Georgia has the edge though as they play Taipei, while Turkey and Bulgaria play each other. Georgia's match is first, so they will want a good showing there if they want to see themselves promoted for the first time.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
It does look that way, but Luxembourg is the one who was relegated. I'm not sure, but looking at the standings I think the tie-breaker was goals-for, as that is the only thing North Korea has on Luxembourg (12-6).

In a 3-way tie between Mexico, Luxembourg and DPR Korea, DPR Korea had the best goal difference in direct games amongst the tied teams. Mexico and Luxembourg had the same goal difference. Two teams remained tied then. Mexico won the game against Luxembourg and that's why LUX is being relegated.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What the hell is this Polish roster? No Wronka, Pasiut, Cichy, Szczechura, Fraszko... What the hell is going on there? Nolan going full crazy?

I was rather certain Polish top 6 will/should be

Chmielewski - Cichy - Szczechura
Malasinski - Wronka - Fraszko

Because those are 2 best lines in the Polish league (with Chmielewski replacing Klimenko on Tychy line) and yet only 1 of those guys is on the roster at all. What the actual hell.

I get Nolan likes his "2-way players" but this is ridiculous. They have roster spots open but the situation where Jakub Witecki has a roster spot while Wronka is on the stand-by list is crazy. Wouldn't even mind seeing them relegated, honestly. You can do it GB. Against this kind of lineup, maybe you really do. Hopefully, Trinec wins today and Chmielewski isn't there to play against GB either.

Last edited:

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
What the hell is this Polish roster? No Wronka, Pasiut, Cichy, Szczechura, Fraszko... What the hell is going on there? Nolan going full crazy?

I was rather certain Polish top 6 will/should be

Chmielewski - Cichy - Szczechura
Malasinski - Wronka - Fraszko

Because those are 2 best lines in the Polish league (with Chmielewski replacing Klimenko on Tychy line) and yet only 1 of those guys is on the roster at all. What the actual hell.

I get Nolan likes his "2-way players" but this is ridiculous. They have roster spots open but the situation where Jakub Witecki has a roster spot while Wronka is on the stand-by list is crazy. Wouldn't even mind seeing them relegated, honestly. You can do it GB. Against this kind of lineup, maybe you really do. Hopefully, Trinec wins today and Chmielewski isn't there to play against GB either.

Wronka and Pasiut are injured and Cichy went back to the US for personal reasons.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I figured about Pasiut (not only he is the best Polish center he fits Nolan's mold as well) but Wronka played in the finals, I thought playing in the WC would be a priority for him. Then again, maybe not. After signing the extension he doesn't need the exposure, I guess.

There are 2 empty spots on the Polish roster though. One is for Chmielewski and the other?

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Big upset for first game of Division IA with Great Britain defeating Slovenia 3-1. Hopefully the rest of the tournament has some upsets, always makes it interesting, especially at this level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad