WC: 2018 Division I, II, III

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Are you sure? The only thing Zach Yuen has represented is the Canada Pacific U17 Team at the World U17 Hockey Challenge, which is organized by Hockey Canada and not an official IIHF event.

ZT's "You are right" refer to ukrainian/romanian player who played for UKR in 2015.

Reactions: Exarz

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
Yes. I think Zach Yuen has met the requirements to play for China. I was just pointing out that he's not on the entry list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exarz

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Could the fact that he was released mid-season by the Kunlun organization for what, two months, before being assigned to the VHL team have affected his eligibility?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
No. He is most likely eligible I simply think there is some bad blood between him and Chinese people. Hence the extremely shady story of him disappearing from Kunlun's system.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
No. He is most likely eligible I simply think there is some bad blood between him and Chinese people. Hence the extremely shady story of him disappearing from Kunlun's system.

I don't know if it's him in particular to be honest. I do believe his ancestry is Taiwainese not Chinese. I do recall it being really shocking when he was signed by a chinese team. Taiwan and China don't get along.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
From two weeks ago:
Putting some Finnish on China's chances
One of the players Tapola is excited about is 25-year-old defenseman Zach Yuen, who was born and raised in Canada and is shaping up as the anchor of Team China's blueline corps.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well that's the point, he is eligible and was supposed to play. The fact he isn't on the entry list most likely means he simply said "no" to representing them, doesn't it?

Since "last year Red Star signed an exclusive agreement with the Chinese Ice Hockey Association to build the men's, women's, Under-20 men's and Under-18 men's and women's national teams." those are exactly the people Yuen had beef with over his demotion/firing so I wouldn't be surprised at all he rejected them. Knowing Chinese mentality I wouldn't be shocked their newly hired coach wasn't aware of any of this.

Last edited:

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Well that's the point, he is eligible and was supposed to play. The fact he isn't on the entry list most likely means he simply said "no" to representing them, doesn't it?

Since "last year Red Star signed an exclusive agreement with the Chinese Ice Hockey Association to build the men's, women's, Under-20 men's and Under-18 men's and women's national teams." those are exactly the people Yuen had beef with over his demotion/firing so I wouldn't be surprised at all he rejected them. Knowing Chinese mentality I wouldn't be shocked their newly hired coach wasn't aware of any of this.
But the article has quotes from Yuen himself about how he wants to play for China at the Olympics.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Division IIB started yesterday in Spain, and the first set of games had no surprises. Spain is the likely favourite to promote, while Israel and New Zealand are likely the other two medalists (in either order). Luxembourg and North Korea will play for relegation, barring any major upset.

Division III starts Monday in South Africa. Bulgaria and Turkey will likely play for promotion, though Georgia may surprise (more wishful thinking on my part); however Georgia has a lot of ethnic Russians this year, so hopefully there is no eligibility problems like they had a few years ago.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
North Korea regroups from their loss against Spain with what has to be considered an upset win over Mexico. That may shake things up in the final standings now.

Tallasar

Apr 11, 2018
Auckland
Great win for the Ice Blacks against Israel, so it could be that the last game of the tournament is a real final for promotion.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
I don't know if it's him in particular to be honest. I do believe his ancestry is Taiwainese not Chinese. I do recall it being really shocking when he was signed by a chinese team. Taiwan and China don't get along.

China treats Taiwan still as a part of the Chinese state. As the Chinese community makes up a large portion of the population, they can be eligible for citizenship if requested. Same goes with residents of Macau and Hong Kong.

China is known to go after athletes in the hope that they would represent them in international competition. They went after Jeremy Lin when he first came into the NBA, but he declined and decided to represent Taiwan (his birthplace) instead.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Great Britain final roster for D1A

RUSSELL NAMES SQUAD FOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP – IHUK

Netminders
Ben Bowns – Cardiff Devils
Jackson Whistle – Belfast Giants
Thomas Murdy – Cardiff Devils (reserve)

Defence
Dallas Ehrhardt – Manchester Storm
Steve Lee – Nottingham Panthers
Ben O’Connor – Sheffield Steelers
David Phillips – Sheffield Steelers
Mark Richardson – Cardiff Devils
Zach Sullivan – Braehead Clan
Paul Swindlehurst – Manchester Storm

Forwards
Ollie Betteridge – Nottingham Panthers
Brendan Brooks – Braehead Clan
Ben Davies – Guildford Flames
Robert Dowd – Sheffield Steelers
Robert Farmer – Nottingham Panthers
Luke Ferrara – Coventry Blaze
Mike Hammond – Manchester Storm
Liam Kirk – Sheffield Steelers
Robert Lachowicz – Nottingham Panthers
Matthew Myers – Cardiff Devils
Jonathan Phillips – Sheffield Steelers
Brett Perlini – Nottingham Panthers
Colin Shields – Belfast Giants

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Lithuania showing they are on the mission for the upcoming D1B by beating GBR in two straight friendlies, 3:2 and today 7:2.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, it's all looking pretty good. We might have to cut Edgar Protčenko (who didn't travel to play GB) which is hilarious. Having an opportunity to cut an actual pro defenseman would seem mindboggling even 2 years ago.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So GB is without Mosey who got injured against Lithuania, Poland won't have Chmielewski who is still in Czech league finals with Trinec. Pretty big bummer for both countries.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Division III starts Monday in South Africa. Bulgaria and Turkey will likely play for promotion, though Georgia may surprise (more wishful thinking on my part); however Georgia has a lot of ethnic Russians this year, so hopefully there is no eligibility problems like they had a few years ago.

Not just wishful thinking, they dominated against Turkey and will probably promote! Don't think Bulgaria can stop them.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Not just wishful thinking, they dominated against Turkey and will probably promote! Don't think Bulgaria can stop them.

Saw that, and am concerned actually. Three of the six Georgian goals were scored by ethnic Russians. And a quick looks suggests Russians are less than 1% of the population here (about 26,000 people). Now while they may just have gotten a lot if Russians living here who like hockey, I'm skeptical, especially as the older Georgian teams were mainly full of guys with Georgian names (-shvili and -dze are the most prominent), and the team had to forfeit its tournament a few years back for unspecified reasons (eligibiliy issues being the most logical cause). So I hope these guys are all legitimate, but also hope that some actual Georgians join the team in the future (a new rink being built in one of the major cities should help).

ergi24

Feb 19, 2015
Slovakia
Slovenia

Drozg - Kopitar - Pance
Golicic - Ticar - Sabolic
Urbas - Verlic - Ograjensek
Kuralt - Music - Hebar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad