Matthew Myers – Cardiff Devils
Jonathan Phillips – Sheffield Steelers
Brett Perlini – Nottingham Panthers
Colin Shields – Belfast Giants
Ross Venus – Coventry Blaze
No Duggan?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, pretty rough for Duggan. He made the team and was really solid last year, not even adding him to the long list is just not nice.

He has, however, bombed quite spectacularly as a prospect which is just as rough for GB hockey.

No David Clarke this year either? Or Liam Stewart? I must say for a long list this list is pretty short. Also ditching a quite a few players who won the promotion last year seems like a dubious tactic.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I thought he was going to play one last time since they are in 1B now and he still played this season. But I guess not.

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
No David Clarke this year either? Or Liam Stewart? I must say for a long list this list is pretty short. Also ditching a quite a few players who won the promotion last year seems like a dubious tactic.
Clarke is retiring at the end of the season and withdrew himself from selection. Stewart is battling PCS and has shut himself down for the year while he works on getting healthy for 18/19, he'd be a shoo-in.

Who's missing? Weaver, who is 41 and is playing borderline amateur hockey. Peacock, who has done nothing internationally for a while and has been on a downswing in the league. Murphy's all but retired, Cowley called it a day last summer. Who else?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Clarke is retiring at the end of the season and withdrew himself from selection. Stewart is battling PCS and has shut himself down for the year while he works on getting healthy for 18/19, he'd be a shoo-in.

Who's missing? Weaver, who is 41 and is playing borderline amateur hockey. Peacock, who has done nothing internationally for a while and has been on a downswing in the league. Murphy's all but retired, Cowley called it a day last summer. Who else?
steve moria.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Whichever starts giving out passports for Canadians.

As Koreans have shown, it works out great if you do it enough. And if Koreans did it, any European country with a truly professional hockey league can do it as well. Such is the sad state of international hockey at this level, almost all the major surges were result of this strategy.

Poland looks like the next in line to benefit from this, they could/will have John Murray, Mike Cichy, Alex Szczechura, Jan Steber, Alan Lyszczarcyk (who is a little different case but still) on the roster. 5 more guys like that and they will be a serious contender.

Funny you write than when I think only two of the guys you then list for Poland is Canadian with two others being American and one is a Czech. At least 3 of them have Polish ancestry.

Will be interesting to see what China does over the next 4 years to try and ice a competitive team, or at least one that won't be blown away.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Can't believe Kasparaitis still plays...well sort of it seems he plays a handful of games for a team called Hockey Punks hilarious.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Funny you write than when I think only two of the guys you then list for Poland is Canadian with two others being American and one is a Czech. At least 3 of them have Polish ancestry.
Well Poland is at the very beginning of this road. It's at the point where it isn't even clear really if they really intend to go with it or are these just a few special cases. In all the other cases (Kazakhstan, Croatia, Italy, Korea, etc.) guys being naturalized are mostly Canadian.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Well Poland is at the very beginning of this road. It's at the point where it isn't even clear really if they really intend to go with it or are these just a few special cases. In all the other cases (Kazakhstan, Croatia, Italy, Korea, etc.) guys being naturalized are mostly Canadian.

Too bad I am long in the tooth for pro hockey, I'd go sign up! Canadian or Polish ancestry, visited family twice, once as a teenager with my grandparents before the fall of communism and once a few years back with my mom which funny enough was visiting for the first time as she was born in Germany after the war where my grandparents met as prisoner's in a German stalag.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Croatia should be much better this year with Borna Rendulic available

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
Also, is this just a wrong impression or is GB leaning towards more Canadians on the NT again?
Not really, all have citizenship 'legitimately' - Brooks, Mosey and Ehrhardt through parentage, Hammond was born in Britain to a British family and moved to NA at a young age with them. Perlini's spent half his life in the UK, as has Whistle and both count as British domestically due to spending several years playing junior. Not a single one is naturalised as they all either had the passport to begin with or got them through the two-year ancestry rule.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
He was injured the year before and was playing in AHL PLAYOFFS LAST SEASON

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
It helps the government has a lot of money via natural gas. So they can spend a bunch of money on frivolous projects, like the hockey team and hosting some minor sporting even last year (it was something like $5 billion). Though it should be noted, for those unaware, Turkmenistan is a repressive state on par with North Korea, though because it has a policy of strict neutrality, and supplies Europe with gas, no one worries about them.

I think its turkmenistan where it is illegal to have a beard.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Indeed it was, under the previous president. I think the one now has allowed beards, though he's not exactly sane himself. Though credit to him, he is the reason for Turkmen hockey existing.
Cannot remember what Stan country it is, but I remember hearing somewhere that the people can't throw lavish parties - There are rules for number of atendees, what music, how long and what to eat..

Absolutely insane!

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Too bad I am long in the tooth for pro hockey, I'd go sign up! Canadian or Polish ancestry, visited family twice, once as a teenager with my grandparents before the fall of communism and once a few years back with my mom which funny enough was visiting for the first time as she was born in Germany after the war where my grandparents met as prisoner's in a German stalag.

I remember the 3rd string goalie we had with our Jr A team for a while was the starter the Australian U-20 team (he was very mediocre) and I always thought it would have been awesome to move to Australia AND then get to play in the World Championships with Australia. Alas real life got in the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad