Celtics/NBA 2018 Celtics/NBA offseason - LeBron James to Boston? Superstar will reportedly speak with Celtics

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
In hindsight, was it a mistake for Ainge/Wyc to even discuss the deal publically before Thomas had completed his physical?

Imagine how this whole situation might have unfolded twenty years ago?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Can Cleveland back out or is it on the league to void the trade?

Was reading the Globe Sports section regarding this today and IIRC the point of the article was that either team has 7 days to back out. That brings the deadline for backing out to Wednesday. Don't know if the league has a say or not but if seems as though they (Cavs or Celts ) can back out for reasons such as medical ones.
If I'm Ainge I tell them where to go and how to get there! This is a holdup and to call it anything else is sugar coating it. The BKN pick is the insurance against a lame IT, deal with it!
In the end the Celts would have 2 minor issues to deal with in IT and Crowder if they return, in Clevelands case they'll have to find a better deal than that with the Celts and the chances of that are extremely slim. Tell 'em to "GO PUNT" and keep their player Mr. Ainge!

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
This is ridiculous. I wish bad things career wise for this new gm in Cleveland. Or is this dan gilbert's doing?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is ridiculous. I wish bad things career wise for this new gm in Cleveland. Or is this dan gilbert's doing?

I suspect the problem is here

usp-nba_-new-york-knicks-at-cleveland-cavaliers_009.jpg

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
How can Cleveland even think asking for Brown/Tatum is even a remote possibility? Honestly.

I read it as Tatum instead of the BKN pick...not in addition. So they would basically be asking for the package that was proposed weeks ago and was rebuffed by Danny.

There is no chance I'd go for it, Tatum can play right away and still has a very high ceiling. The 2018 may produce a few prospects who may be generational and ahead of where Tazj is now, but it will be more in the 2 range than the 5-6. And it's not very likely to get a top 1-2 pick, especially from a team with no incentive to tank, it was a fortunate situation over the past 2 years, yet we still needed luck to get there (last year 50% of NOT picking top 2 despite having the best odds)

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
It's not like IT isn't going to be back way before the playoffs...CLE is definitely playing games.

If they torpedo this deal, it would turn into a vendetta situation if I was GM. I would be bad mouthing CLE to other GMs and giving a little to **** them over whenever I could in the future.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
My stats of the day are that Andre Miller is 9th all time in assists and Deron Williams is 13th all time in APG! :amazed:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's not like IT isn't going to be back way before the playoffs...CLE is definitely playing games.

If they torpedo this deal, it would turn into a vendetta situation if I was GM. I would be bad mouthing CLE to other GMs and giving a little to **** them over whenever I could in the future.

Well that is an open question. Danny and Brad are both publicly on record in saying Thomas will be healthy, but may miss opening part of season.

Others have speculated that he will never be healthy and IF he is able to play it will be in a very limited fashion. We know 4 months after the injury with no treatment he still can't run.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I read it as Tatum instead of the BKN pick...not in addition. So they would basically be asking for the package that was proposed weeks ago and was rebuffed by Danny.

There is no chance I'd go for it, Tatum can play right away and still has a very high ceiling. The 2018 may produce a few prospects who may be generational and ahead of where Tazj is now, but it will be more in the 2 range than the 5-6. And it's not very likely to get a top 1-2 pick, especially from a team with no incentive to tank, it was a fortunate situation over the past 2 years, yet we still needed luck to get there (last year 50% of NOT picking top 2 despite having the best odds)

No, I think they're asking for Tatum/Brown in addition to the original package to complete trade. IT, Crowder, Zizic, BKN '18, Tatum/Brown. In what world is that worth Irving?

Not how you break into the league as a GM mr rookie GM.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The Cavs lose a lot of leverage if they back out.

Any team willing to trade with them will know they don't have to beat the Celts offer. It's like running an auction after the guy with the most cash and motivation is kicked out of the room cause you told him his best bid would need to be increased by 20% no matter what.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Cavs lose a lot of leverage if they back out.

Any team willing to trade with them will know they don't have to beat the Celts offer. It's like running an auction after the guy with the most cash and motivation is kicked out of the room cause you told him his best bid would need to be increased by 20% no matter what.

Karma will bite them if they back out

The Celtics will end up one way or another with the top pick via New Jersey

That is the long term jewel in the deal anyways

The health of IT is of interest- camp opens in a month and I would assume he's undergoing treatments

How is Cleveland suprised by anything

I think the deal goes through

Irving wanted Boston so that will be one to watch

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
The Cavs could always void the trade and take Milwaukee's rumored offer for Irving prior to the deal with the Celtics: Middleton + Brogdon + MIL 1st. :sarcasm:

The Cavs have no leverage in asking for more. Irving wants to leave and won't report. The Cavs won't get a better asset than the unprotected Brooklyn 1st in any other offer for Irving.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The Cavs can always go back to Phoenix and get told no again when asking for Bledsoe and Josh Jackson...:laugh:

Danny needs to play hard ball here. They knew going in and are only doing this because the rumors are LeBron is pissed. Let them pull out. Dare them to do it.

The other thing to consider is that the new GM there is pulling this now, so a lot of the other GM's are going to be gun shy about doing any deals with him going forward, because what's to say they won't pull this crap again?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Chris Haynes of ESPN thinks the Cavs GM used this as a pre plan. He's covered the Cavs and talking to others around league this was basically a set up. Sounds like he believes the Cavs will want the LA pick.

I ****ing hate Cleveland

Haynes thinks Boston can't take Thomas back and Cleveland knows this and trying to leverage it - he said new GM Koby Altman is shrewd and wouldn't put it past him

Bizarre

I'd say screw and take IT back and keep the Brooklyn pick

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Chris Haynes of ESPN thinks the Cavs GM used this as a pre plan. He's covered the Cavs and talking to others around league this was basically a set up. Sounds like he believes the Cavs will want the LA pick.

I ****ing hate Cleveland

Haynes thinks Boston can't take Thomas back and Cleveland knows this and trying to leverage it - he said new GM Koby Altman is shrewd and wouldn't put it past him

Bizarre

I'd say screw and take IT back and keep the Brooklyn pick

I'd agree with this.

However, You'd have to think Ainge is too smart to get played like this and fall into a trap.

:popcorn:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'd agree with this.

However, You'd have to think Ainge is too smart to get played like this and fall into a trap.

:popcorn:

There has to be some honor here

I'm not sure if they can do conditional picks for games played

Thomas 'brinks' comment was during Utah Summer League so I just figured he's coming along

If Thomas can't run, can't jump, can't twist then he's not talking that way - he should have been worried

I almost wish Irving had a one and a player option

tonino2424

Sep 28, 2005
There has to be some honor here

I'm not sure if they can do conditional picks for games played

Thomas 'brinks' comment was during Utah Summer League so I just figured he's coming along

If Thomas can't run, can't jump, can't twist then he's not talking that way - he should have been worried

I almost wish Irving had a one and a player option

There is no way they can get both the LA and NJ picks. That is just nuts. Wishful thinking on Clev's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad