Celtics/NBA 2018 Celtics/NBA offseason - LeBron James to Boston? Superstar will reportedly speak with Celtics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
They wanted the Brooklyn pick. So let us take back Isaiah, and they can keep the rest of the deal as is.

Id be all for that. Not sure if Clev would do it. But they wanted that insurance for next year. That's the pick.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
They wanted the Brooklyn pick. So let us take back Isaiah, and they can keep the rest of the deal as is.

Id be all for that. Not sure if Clev would do it. But they wanted that insurance for next year. That's the pick.

How do you make it work against the cap?

I know it's a soft cap, but I can't imagine ownership is cool with going that deep into the penalty.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

That literally makes no sense.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Kevin O'Connor is on EEI and I agree that

1. The deal already took Isaiah being damaged goods into account

2. If anything, Boston adding their own 2018 1st would be fair.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If I were the Celts, I'd call their bluff and tell them to take Kyrie back. This is such a clear cut example of them trying to weasel more out of the C's. They had the medicals. IT was in Boston as recently as a couple of weeks ago and they checked him, which is when they said he may miss some time early. How is this suddenly something that Cleveland is just finding out now? It's not. It's a scam.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You think they would be aware of his hip when he had to leave the playoff series against them. Buyers remorse for being stupid, trade should stand but won't mind if Its all voided

Conditional first rounder if he misses blah blah blah just make it their own

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Give them a 2nd round pick so Danny Gilbert can feel like he won the deal, before driving into Lake Erie upon realizing his franchise will once again be a laughing stock after LeBron leaves this offseason.

#hastilymadeclevelandtourismvideo

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
One thing is IT won't be seeing a Brinks truck

Semi disagree.

I doubt he gets a max from someone, but he'll definitely get the next level down from that. Probably not a contender, but a team that wants a marketable guy, which IT definitely is.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
I think everyone was annoyed at the "Brinks truck" comment. Nobody I know would ever say that to their boss.

I say, cancel the deal, keep the pick. If IT wants to get paid the kind of contract he expects next year, he's going to have to play this year.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If I'm Ainge, I tell CLE to go kick rocks. They knew exactly what they were getting into, it was pretty public knowledge, now all of a sudden they are surprised? **** off Dan Gilbert.

Look there is public information, what the Celtics might have shared, and what the physical actually showed.

I will agree that public information has been that IT injury could be chronic, and may limit him next year

We don't know what the Celtics shared with the Cavs.

And we don't know what the physical showed. Physical may have pointed a much worse situation than what has been speculated on the net

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Look there is public information, what the Celtics might have shared, and what the physical actually showed.

I will agree that public information has been that IT injury could be chronic, and may limit him next year

We don't know what the Celtics shared with the Cavs.

And we don't know what the physical showed. Physical may have pointed a much worse situation than what has been speculated on the net

This trade was never about IT though, it was for the pick.

If I'm CLE, do I rescind the trade, lose LeBron, and be stuck with a late first and 1 more year of Kyrie, or do trade Kyrie for a young 5, a lotto pick, and another piece they can move in Crowder for a decent asset, regardless if IT only plays half a season for them? It's not a hard decision.

Point is,they aren't going to get a better piece from anyone for Kyrie than that BKN 18 pick.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If I'm the Cavs I try and get Ainge to put in the Celtics first if IT doesn't play 40 games related to the hip

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that Brinks comment was distasteful as hell

If Pastrnak or Marchand said that I would have lost all respect for them

Karma is so real

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
If I'm the Cavs I try and get Ainge to put in the Celtics first if IT doesn't play 40 games related to the hip

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that Brinks comment was distasteful as hell

If Pastrnak or Marchand said that I would have lost all respect for them

Karma is so real

I'm going to laugh when they re-negotiate this trade, and Ainge somehow fleeces that stupid organization.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This trade was never about IT though, it was for the pick.

If I'm CLE, do I rescind the trade, lose LeBron, and be stuck with a late first and 1 more year of Kyrie, or do trade Kyrie for a young 5, a lotto pick, and another piece they can move in Crowder for a decent asset, regardless if IT only plays half a season for them? It's not a hard decision.

Point is,they aren't going to get a better piece from anyone for Kyrie than that BKN 18 pick.

But having the trade be about the pick makes very little sense for Cleveland. Unless they think Lebron will want to stay so he can play with Porter.

Most likely this is the end of the Cleveland window, and if they get something with the Brooklyn pick they struggle to make it back into the playoffs the next 5 years So they should be trying to maximize their chances of winning one more title this year. Crowder seems like he fits well for that, and if IT could be 80% of what he was that helps this year

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
But having the trade be about the pick makes very little sense for Cleveland. Unless they think Lebron will want to stay so he can play with Porter.

Most likely this is the end of the Cleveland window, and if they get something with the Brooklyn pick they struggle to make it back into the playoffs the next 5 years So they should be trying to maximize their chances of winning one more title this year. Crowder seems like he fits well for that, and if IT could be 80% of what he was that helps this year

Well yeah IT is the short term answer for this year to give them one more shot at beating GSW. But they won't re-sign him.

I'm talking about after the season. They are going to be in a bad spot if they hang onto Kyrie, have LeBron leave, and be stuck with a mediocre roster and no real assets to help rebuild.

Trading Kyrie now lets them get a great asset to start rebuilding after this year. Crowder can net them a player or pick since he's on a great contract, and is a player contending teams would like to acquire.

They're screwed either way, so might as well get that potential lotto pick and start rebuilding asap.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If you're Cleveland, why not?

Raise hell and maybe you get something out of it.

Worst case scenario, you don't.
Sure, but it seems like an idiotic move on Cleveland's part to understand IT's situation prior to accepting trade and then complain about it after.

It almost sounds like Cleveland didn't tell LeBron about the deal, and LeBron is the one that is raising hell because his chance to get to the Finals and win with an unhealthy IT instead of Kyrie Irving drop significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad