Celtics/NBA 2018 Celtics/NBA offseason - LeBron James to Boston? Superstar will reportedly speak with Celtics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
If ainge gives into this he's nuts. No other team can offer what we already offered. Tell em to go pound sand.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...n-seek-additional-compensation-boston-celtics

If the deal falls apart, Boston would have to count on using its arsenal of draft picks, Crowder and other assets to bring it another point guard in a future trade -- if Thomas isn't the long-term answer. Still, it is unlikely that the Celtics could find a point guard of Thomas' stature on the market -- never mind Irving's.

How Thomas and Crowder's psyches would be affected upon a vetoed trade returning them to Boston is a factor in this process too. Cleveland could be facing a bigger challenge bringing Irving, 25, back into the contentious Cavaliers situation.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Call their bluff, Danny. Over scrutinize Irving's physical results and turn the tables on the Cavs. The guy has had a ton of injuries in his career. Plenty of stuff to choose from to be concerned about.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm fine keeping IT. Tell Cleveland to no deal

Apparently IT is wounded emotionally per the HOF isiah Thomas who spoke to him. Says he's crushed. For the train wreck factor I'd take him back but there is no way he could come back

1. They traded him - team rejection
2. Story by Broussard some of his teammates didn't like his I'm the guy/this is my team - teammate rejection
3. An ass hat burned his jersey and even LJ tweeted it out - fan rejection

One fan might as well be 1000 to these guys

IT was expecting
Max deal and probably someday having his number retired

He can not come back the damage is done

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Apparently IT is wounded emotionally per the HOF isiah Thomas who spoke to him. Says he's crushed. For the train wreck factor I'd take him back but there is no way he could come back

1. They traded him - team rejection
2. Story by Broussard some of his teammates didn't like his I'm the guy/this is my team - teammate rejection
3. An ass hat burned his jersey and even LJ tweeted it out - fan rejection

One fan might as well be 1000 to these guys

IT was expecting
Max deal and probably someday having his number retired

He can not come back the damage is done

Too bad. I'd come back and play well just to prove everybody wrong. After a week nobody would remember the trade anyway. How wounded emotionally can u get over a trade? Its not like he's a legend here. Big deal. Was Nomar a situation like this?

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Dick move by the new Cleveland gm. Everyone knew about the hip and it surely came up in trade negotiations. People aren't gonna wanna trade with you when you pull bush league maneuvers like this.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
This trade will not be voided. Cleveland would probably burn some bridges within the league with such a dick move (unless Danny pulled a Preller, which I highly doubt is even possible since everyone expected IT's injury to be bad). And they would have to turn around and agree to a deal they obviously liked less than ours just a few days ago. I mean, it was said they were close with Milwaukee for Middleton and Brogdon. Cleveland does not need medium pack players if/when Lebron leaves.
And one thing is clear: When IT gets back at some point during the season, he's gonna be a force and the closest thing the Cavs can get to keep them a contender for one more season.
I mean Lifeshatz reported that LBJ was mad at the deal and wanted Bledsoe/Jackson, but I doubt that was even on the table (and would Kyrie even want to go there since it looks like the coaching and team chemistry was a huge part of his decision-making).
No team is going to part with their 2017 binkie and 2018 shapes up to be an amazing draft at the top, so not many top picks will be moved.

This deal needs to happen for both sides (even though I agree that we need it more), because if it gets voided, Cleveland's 2nd best deal for Irving is probably better than ours for banged up IT, Crowder, Zizic and BKN 18. I could see us going after Bledsoe in this situation, but he's nowhere near worth BKN 18.

I have come around on this trade to be honest. While BKN 18 would have been a nice shot of getting a transcendent player, it's a) not guaranteed to even have a shot at such a player (Brooklyn may surprise + lottery) and then we would have to get the right player. Everyone thought Okafor was such a guy.
Kyrie is our best shot. He's close to a superstar (maybe a top 10-15 player) and still has room to grow.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I bet LeBron is behind this crying away. In terms of best players ever he's probably top 10 but #1, not even close. I'd take paul pierce in his prime over him all day. Pierce never had help til 08, imagine if Pierce recruiting superteams like LeBron did in the mid 2000's?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Tell Cleveland to F off. We already were overpaying for Kyrie.

If they don't want Isaiah, give him back and take Rozier or something. Too bad if he's emotionally scarred from being traded/almost traded.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Tell Cleveland to F off. We already were overpaying for Kyrie.

If they don't want Isaiah, give him back and take Rozier or something. Too bad if he's emotionally scarred from being traded/almost traded.

It's totally unreasonable.

It's as many said, we paid the IT-risk with the BKN pick. If he was completely healthy, there is no way Cleveland would have gotten this much.

This has the potential to get very ugly. I have read somewhere that IT passed his physical. Does that mean he passed it despite the hip or does the hip get excluded because the Cavs were informed of this beforehand?

Cleveland should stop with this BS. We have some risk ourselves...that is if IT comes back with a chip on his shoulder and gets the Cavs to the finals + giving up a potential #1 pick.
Stop it FFS, we overpaid from day 1. The whole league thought we gave up too much. I wouldn't even give them a 2nd rounder, let alone our own first. That pick is not a throaway.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Top 9: Bob Cousy, John Havlicek, Paul Pierce, Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Kevin McHale, Dave Cowens, Robert Parrish, Sam Jones

Honorable Mentions: Kevin Garnett, Isaiah Thomas, Rajon Rondo, Ray Allen

Who are your top 9 Celtics ever? I tried to make a list of players who played most or all of their careers in Boston and are not active players. I'll list those guys in my honorable mentions.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Well now - The Cavs are shooting for the moon

ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported Sunday on SportsCenter that the Cavs are expected to check on the availability of Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum. “Now, Cleveland is going to try to inquire about a couple of the Celtics’ young players, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, who they tried to get in the original trade, that is very unlikely,†Wojnarowski said. “But Boston still has a war chest of future first-round picks of their own, and some picks they control from other teams, and Cleveland is going to try to get one more of those to finalize this deal.†But Wojnarowski backed up an early report that the C’s will “resist†adding any pieces to the deal. “Boston is resisting, and will initially at least, resist this idea,†Wojnarowski said. “Boston believes that it was completely transparent with Cleveland about where Thomas was physically, his rehab. Cleveland’s version of this is that they didn’t realize how long Thomas could potentially be out this season, he’s in the final year of his contract, and obviously, that matches up with what will likely be the final year of LeBron’s current deal, and so there’s going to be a showdown between these two teams that may last a couple more days.â€

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2017/08/nba-rumors-cavs-will-ask-for-jayson-tatum-to-complete-kyrie-irving-trade/

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad