2018-2019 Blackhawks Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

I ****ing hate when teams just ignore numbers in favor of 'veteran experience' or some schlock.

Cam Ward is a bad goalie. There are better options. Hell, running with the same yahoos they had last season might very well be better.

Or when teams make a judgement that a player is bad after a small sample but ignore a player this is bad over a much larger one.

NHL is so inefficient still. Hawks were once thought to be at the forefront of analytics and then they break up Kempny-Seabrook to reunite Oduya-Seabrook and dump Forsberg to sign Ward. They feel like “feel” decisions. Like Q feels they’re better options when the data says no.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
we have holes to fill, and not a ton of cap space to do it, not spending $3mil or close to it on a freaking back up...if we put nearly $3 mil on Ward, we barely have $7-8 mil left to get a top 4 LD and a top 6 forward...that is not a mountain of space...and we have been trying to move Hossa, that hasn't worked and you can't count on it happening. believe what you want not going to argue anymore, but you do not bring in Ward if everything is ****ing hunky dory with Crow.
At this point I think we’ll agree to disagree. I think I’ve pretty validly explained why I think your last sentence is incorrect (although I don’t agree with Ward being the answer).

And as far as your point goes about the cap space and what to spend it on - maybe Stan just wants to do the smart thing and not overspend on a UFA like JVR that we may end up trying to move in a couple years anyway. With a couple bad contracts on the books already, the absolute last thing this team needs to do is overspend on a UFA the second we have a little spending room. Spending big on UFAs almost never works out well for the teams dishing out the cash. You spend on the right UFAs such as Hossa. You don’t spend just because you have the cash.

Although I don’t agree with Ward being that guy, there’s for sure merit in spending money on a cheap 1-2 year vet backup goalie as an insurance option to Crawford rather than blowing the load on a guy that we have to give up assets to move in a few years. Even if your 100% sure Crawford is fine and over his shit... there’s still some risk involved when your starting goalie hasn’t been on the ice in almost a full calendar year. You don’t know if he’ll return to that same form he left at. So if you don’t trust your backup (which as much as I would rather go with Forsberg over Ward... Forsberg hasn’t given the hawks a valid reason to trust him yet) I can see the reason why a GM with his back up against the wall would want a veteran back there to take some of the work load just in case Crawford doesn’t return to form right away.

Speaking of veteran.... If there was legitimate cause for concern I don’t think we’d be hearing the word “veteran” as much as we have been in these discussions. Veteran as far as goalies go generally means backup or 1b to support a young goalie. If there’s real concern about Crawford not returning at all... why wouldn’t you be looking for a young guy that’s posted good stats that has starter potential such as Grubauer? Instead you go with a 34 year old who’s posted AT BEST backup numbers over the past 4 seasons? Espically with Stan playing the long game with the Boqvist pick, it doesn’t seem likely to me that Crawford is done and he’s gambling on Cam Ward to save his job.

Sorry I said agree to disagree and then I went on a rant... whoops. :dunno:

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Per the athletic, they expect Hutton and Bernier around three million on two year deals. Gives me hope that Ward comes cheaper.

Also mentioned that the Hawks have reached out to one of Beagle, Ryan, Letestu, Filppula or Richardson for a bottom six center role.

Kahun will be playing in the Chicago semi pro league as of monday to boot.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'm not going to judge a player based on what a fan base thinks of them. Just look at this board. Damn near every player draws polarizing opinions and evaluations all over the map. Not a very good barometer to use, at least not for me.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I'm not going to judge a player based on what a fan base thinks of them. Just look at this board. Damn near every player draws polarizing opinions and evaluations all over the map. Not a very good barometer to use, at least not for me.
agreed but they did watch him 40+ games last year while everyone on our board maybe watched him 1-3 times and likes to whine about everything that the blackhawks do.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
ward is not the answer to the hawks problems, coach Q and the swiss cheese defense is having said that they do need a back up and Ward is likely better than forsberg but I would prefer someone a bit younger.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Is Ward better though? And what cost do you pay for the marginal improvement when it means cap dollars not being spent on skaters to improve team defense...

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Is Ward better though? And what cost do you pay for the marginal improvement when it means cap dollars not being spent on skaters to improve team defense...

not sure if he is but forsberg showed last year that he is not a capable NHL back up and with all the uncertainty with Crow they need a reliable back up IMO

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
not sure if he is but forsberg showed last year that he is not a capable NHL back up and with all the uncertainty with Crow they need a reliable back up IMO
If we were talking about the 2011 or 2014 D...sure, Ward would be a reliable backup.

If you're talking about the 2016, 2017, or 2018 D...then you're getting into "a 4'x6' sheet of plywood" being the benchmark of a reliable backup...which is not Ward.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Filppula could be huge for this team. Solid shutdown C. Just wonder if we get him how they built lines because if they want to increase Toews offense and let him play easier minutes and let Filppula handle tougher competition, who is going to play with him?

Hayden - Toews - Kane (2nd toughest competition)
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Sikura (pure offense)
Saad - Filppula - Hinostroza (shutdown)
Kahun - Kampf - Wingels (6-8min 4th line duty)

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Is Ward all we have to talk about? No word on the big prices? Trade rumours?

I like Ward, always did. I think he would be a solid backup. I think he can help us and teach a bit. He even could take on some load, something Forsberg couldn't

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Filppula could be huge for this team. Solid shutdown C. Just wonder if we get him how they built lines because if they want to increase Toews offense and let him play easier minutes and let Filppula handle tougher competition, who is going to play with him?

I like Filppula if we move AA.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Even if we keep AA i wouldn't mind Filppula. Move Schmaltz to wing in that case and all the sudden our forward group has the potential to be pretty stacked.

Not bad proposal at all. I think Filppula could be had with 1-2 two years for $3mil per. I could see him wanting Cup though so does he see Hawks as possible fit?

Saad - Toews - Schmaltz (what a possession line)
DeBrincat - Anisimov - Kane
Sikura - Filppula - Hinostroza
Hayden - Kampf - Kahun

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I'd rather keep developing Schmaltz at center. Move AA to the wing if need be.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

I like the way this looks. That third line kind of reminds me of the Hossa third line that was a pretty effective shutdown line a few years back. Saad had really good Corsi numbers against really strong competition last season, I think he could carry a shutdown line. He also shoots a lot, so if his shots actually wind up in the net, that could be a great line at turning defense to offense.

I don’t really have a problem scaling back Kane’s warm butter-soft zone start rate, or giving Toews a more offensive role. If Toews changes his game a bit to compliment Kane, then that’s a fantastic line, no matter who plays LW. Also, looking around the league, very few first line centers are playing away from the team’s best winger. It’d be on Toews to make it work though.

I love the idea of pairing DeBrincat with Schmaltz, I think they’d be perfect together. Schmaltz’ playmaking with DeBrincat’s shooting could form one of the best young lines in the league. Those two in a role with a ~70% offensive zone start rate could be so dangerous.

The forth line is the fourth line. Like you said, 6-8 minutes a night, and you’re basically just rolling your first three lines at about 17-18 minutes each.

I think this setup is definitely worth taking a look at.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I don't know, Filppula was pretty bad last year. I think I'd rather have AA, although the cap savings would be pretty decent.

I’d rather have a guy who can play defense and win face offs so we could have him carry the load of defensive zone starts.

AA is useful with Kane, but not as usuful in other roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad