2018-2019 Blackhawks Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
The statistics say he was the worst goalie in the NHL the past three seasons. How is that not really bad?
you commented on stats about last 3 seasons of UFA goalies...goalies that played at least 20 games last year he was 23rd in wins.. he was a backup goalie that finished about 30th overall in sv percentage and 29th in goals against. he won 10 more games then he lost. He wasnt really bad. hes an average backup.

better then halak mrazk price holtby...goes on and on

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
you commented on stats about last season....goalies that played at least 20 games he was 23rd in wins.. he was a backup goalie that finished about 30th overall in sv percentage and 29th in goals against. he won 10 more games then he lost. He wasnt really bad. hes an average backup.

:huh:

No... I commented on stats about the last 3 seasons. Those stats say Cam Ward was the worst goalie in the NHL the past 3 seasons. Where are you getting stats about last season? Read the tweet.

Just going to leave these here.

If we're talking about stats from last season, he was still below average on a team with a better D corps than the Hawks. He played 43 games... hardly a backup role. He had a 2.73GAA and .906 SV% and went 23-18 including OT losses.

That's not very good. He's not a good goalie. He's a serviceable backup if he is brought in under 2m a year. And nothing more than that.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
:huh:

No... I commented on stats about the last 3 seasons. Those stats say Cam Ward was the worst goalie in the NHL the past 3 seasons. Where are you getting stats about last season? Read the tweet.

If we're talking about stats from last season, he was still below average on a team with a better D corps than the Hawks. He played 43 games... hardly a backup role. He had a 2.73GAA and .906 SV% and went 23-18 including OT losses.

That's not very good.
and its not really bad...im sorry i corrected my original statement. Im getting them from nhl.com goalie statistics with 20 games played.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
hes an average backup that will be an average backup on the hawks.

*ok looks like u say hes a servicable backup so were kinda looking at it the same way

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
and its not really bad...im sorry i corrected my original statement. Im getting them from nhl.com goalie statistics with 20 games played.

I edited mine also. How is 5 games over .500 in 43 starts, with a 2.73GAA and .906 SV% not bad? It's below average, not average.

He might be serviceable as a backup, but if they pay 3m for him, it's a total waste of money. You have goalies making 1m already on the team who could do what he does.

League averages for last season were .913SV% and 2.75GAA. He happened to barely make the average in GAA, and is quite a bit below the save%.

And if we go back even more, the league average GAA since 2010 hasn't been above 2.60, with the exception of last season, and the SV% hasn't been below .911.

He's below average in every sense of goalie statistics. It's a huge waste of money to bring him in if it's anything more than like 1.5m per season. There are cheaper options already on the Hawks.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Well last year he started put as a backup until it changed in December finally he was a starter with a 10 game point streak.

He was around 50-50 in his first handful of starts as a true backup. Its questionable if hes got the actual wait around and be good as a backup possibility since usually hes been a workhorse that plays bad after overplaying

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
you commented on stats about last 3 seasons of UFA goalies...goalies that played at least 20 games last year he was 23rd in wins.. he was a backup goalie that finished about 30th overall in sv percentage and 29th in goals against. he won 10 more games then he lost. He wasnt really bad. hes an average backup.

Holtby won 11 more games than Ward.

Wins is probably the least helpful stat comparing goalies.

There were 32 goalies that played 40+ games. He was 29th in sv%.

I'm as optimistic as they come on here, and maybe Ward will be good in a backup capacity here, but he wasn't good last year. Just because Darling was even worse, doesn't mean Ward was good or average.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I edited mine also. How is 5 games over .500 in 43 starts, with a 2.73GAA and .906 SV% not bad? It's below average.

He might be serviceable as a backup, but if they pay 3m for him, it's a total waste of money. You have goalies making 1m already on the team who could do what he does.
maybe its just watching forsberg every game and seeing just how bad he is. i dont know. but carolina was 36-46 so 5 games over .500 isnt all that bad even if darling was terrible

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Holtby won 11 more games than Ward.

Wins is probably the least helpful stat comparing goalies.

There were 32 goalies that played 40+ games. He was 29th in sv%.

I'm as optimistic as they come on here, and maybe Ward will be good in a backup capacity here, but he wasn't good last year. Just because Darling was even worse, doesn't mean Ward was good or average.
and at the same time his goals against was 17th in goalies that played 40+...so hes not good enought to be a starter but thats not the point.

holtby had a worse goals against and the same save percentage. these stats can go round and round for goalies.

also i am not claiming hes good by any stretch i just dont think he was really bad..darling was really bad

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
maybe its just watching forsberg every game and seeing just how bad he is. i dont know. but carolina was 36-46 so 5 games over .500 isnt all that bad even if darling was terrible

Go back to my edits. You're not seeing the whole picture for some reason.

His statistics are among the worst in the NHL for goalies who played 40+ games... His statistics were far below the league averages for the past 8 years, with one exception - GAA last season. And he only beat that by .02. He is a below average goalie. His career numbers are below average for the NHL. Again, if they bring him in for 1.5m as a reliable veteran backup, then sure, maybe he'll do better playing 25-30 games. But I'm not counting on it. And if they pay him 3m, I'll be pissed, as that's a disgusting waste of 3m in cap space, and well... if he's the starter because Crawford can't play? Expect the Hawks to be picking in the top 3 next season.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
so hes not good enought to be a starter....not the point. holtby had a worse goals against and the same save percentage. these stats can go round and round for goalies.
You can target a backup that played well as a backup ... not a bad starter who has been a bad starter since 2012 and hope backing up will work out.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Go back to my edits. You're not seeing the whole picture for some reason.

His statistics are among the worst in the NHL for goalies who played 40+ games... His statistics were far below the league averages for the past 8 years, with one exception - GAA last season. And he only beat that by .02. He is a below average goalie. His career numbers are below average for the NHL. Again, if they bring him in for 1.5m as a reliable veteran backup, then sure, maybe he'll do better playing 25-30 games. But I'm not counting on it. And if they pay him 3m, I'll be pissed, as that's a disgusting waste of 3m in cap space, and well... if he's the starter because Crawford can't play? Expect the Hawks to be picking in the top 3 next season.

Thats just not true also he shouldnt be playing 40 games because he is a backup caliber goalie....started the season as a backup and won the job over a bad starter.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Thats just not true also he shouldnt be playing 40 games because he is a backup caliber goalie....started the season as a backup and won the job over a bad starter.

No, it is. They're bottom 10 in the league for goalies who played over 40 games last season. Or right around that mark. There were maybe 10 or so goalies in the NHL who played 40+ and had worse stats. And most of those were outlier seasons for much better goalies than Cam Ward.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
No, it is. They're bottom 10 in the league for goalies who played over 40 games last season. Or right around that mark. There were maybe 10 or so goalies in the NHL who played 40+ and had worse stats. And most of those were outliers for much better goalies than Cam Ward.
he was 17th in goals against.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
he was 17th in goals against.
He also saw 27.6 shots/game. He'll see over 30 with the 'hawks if their D is the same as it was last year. Given his SV%, all that means is more goals against then we saw.

If there was a serious risk of no Crawford and the 'hawks weren't writing the season off, The 'hawks would be looking at a netminder who would be able to give the team a shot as-constructed, and then you're looking at a top-10, not a fringe starter on the outtro of his career.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Ward is a serviceable back up who played 40 games last year on a terrible team. Not saying he is going to blow the doors off in Chicago but its better than going a full season of Forsberg and Berube.

Crawford
Ward
Forsberg
Delia
Lankinen

is better than

Crawford
Forsberg
Berube
Glass
Delia

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
What are you talking about in regards to cap space? We have plenty right now and then there’s the moves like trading Rutta/Hossa/Anisimov to clear the cap for a goalie. You may have to take a loss value wise but a starting goalie is something you clear cap for and don’t go bargain bin shopping. This team could easily make room for a 3-4 mil dollar goalie if they had to but I don’t think they do.

I completely disagree with the “if crow was healthy we wouldn’t be hearing about Ward”. If anything this season opened the hawks eyes to how important backup goaltending is. If Vegas diddnt have good goaltending depth, they may not make the playoffs, let alone the cup. The hawks were in a playoff position when Crawford went down and then the wheels fell off because our backup goaltenders could not get the job done. I don’t think Stan wants to be one injury away from a total failure of a season again so I can see the merit of bringing in a cheap veteran backup. Not sold on Ward but it’s whatever.

we have holes to fill, and not a ton of cap space to do it, not spending $3mil or close to it on a freaking back up...if we put nearly $3 mil on Ward, we barely have $7-8 mil left to get a top 4 LD and a top 6 forward...that is not a mountain of space...and we have been trying to move Hossa, that hasn't worked and you can't count on it happening. believe what you want not going to argue anymore, but you do not bring in Ward if everything is f***ing hunky dory with Crow.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Ward is a serviceable back up who played 40 games last year on a terrible team. Not saying he is going to blow the doors off in Chicago but its better than going a full season of Forsberg and Berube.

Crawford
Ward
Forsberg
Delia
Lankinen

is better than

Crawford
Forsberg
Berube
Glass
Delia
That is debatable. And Hawks could have done better than Ward in FA. Literally almost any other goalie that is available would have been better. It better be really cheap.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Honestly I feel like Lankinen or Delia could be a better backup than Ward at this point. Now that being said it's good to at least have Ward so Lankinen and Delia would have to outplay him for a spot instead of being given one, but there are still better options out there like Hutton. I realise Hutton will cost more, but we do have a fair amount of cap space and unless we're making a run for JVR, it's not like anyone is going to be using it up.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Maybe the issue with the Hawks was paying a backup 2+mil for multiple years. Maybe they talked to Nalimov and told him ..give us another year until Crow is 100%, and we'll bring you over in time to take over for Crow, if you are good enough.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

I f***ing hate when teams just ignore numbers in favor of 'veteran experience' or some schlock.

Cam Ward is a bad goalie. There are better options. Hell, running with the same yahoos they had last season might very well be better.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad