2018-2019 Blackhawks Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Figured it would be a good time to start looking at next year's roster and where there holes are.

I think Hino takes over on the 3rd line center role and the line is a scoring line.

20-19-12
40-8-88
91/38-48-DS
91/38-64-57

Highmore, Fortin, 13

2-HJ?
42-5
63-7

Rutta, Snuggy, Gus,

Reactions: RayP

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ Quite debatable that 40 will ever be a second line winger. I'd love to see it but for now, bottom-6 minutes is probably appropriate. If he improves his quickness then that's a different story, the sky is the limit. This kid has character. Possible A on his sweater one day.

I would like to see Hayden as a net presence on the PP, however.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
/\ Quite debatable that 40 will ever be a second line winger. I'd love to see it but for now, bottom-6 minutes is probably appropriate. If he improves his quickness then that's a different story, the sky is the limit. This kid has character. Possible A on his sweater one day.

I would like to see Hayden as a net presence on the PP, however.

100% agree with all of this.

I was more or less filling in the roster for balance.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Unfortunately, I believe that roster still will have a difficult time making the playoffs unless there’s a sea change in game tactics philosophy.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Unfortunately, I believe that roster still will have a difficult time making the playoffs unless there’s a sea change in game tactics philosophy.

That is a simple change though. When the Hawks have played an uptempo "new NHL" style they have looked really solid.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
That is a simple change though. When the Hawks have played an uptempo "new NHL" style they have looked really solid.

Surely Q must know that his systems and roster decisions that come with it aren't compatible with today's game, yet nothing has changed.
E.G. - TW and Bouma were effective on the 4th line. As top 6 players .... PULEASE. No, unfortunately that change won't come with him as HC.

It is Q's stubbornness that hurts the most.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
How is the moves that only happened suddenly before the trade deadline Q's stubbornness?

If there was ever multiple games of Wingles, Bouma, Jurco, or any other of these upcoming UFA bottom line guys before in the season being there, sure. But that's the most trade baiting timing considience that only then he suddenly gets stubbon in a way he never has been all year.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Surely Q must know that his systems and roster decisions that come with it aren't compatible with today's game, yet nothing has changed.
E.G. - TW and Bouma were effective on the 4th line. As top 6 players .... PULEASE. No, unfortunately that change won't come with him as HC.

It is Q's stubbornness that hurts the most.

You would think.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Well, obviously the following will all occur:

-The cap goes up by $5m.
-Bowman will send a check to Bettman for a good pick in this year's draft. Gary, trying to not be too obvious with favoritism, gives the Hawks the 2nd overall pick. The Hawks draft Svechnikov.
-Bowman also trades away Anisimov without any salary coming back.
-Then Bowman gets an interview with Tavares, where it is quickly explained how fun a line of DeBrincat-Tavares-Kane would be. He agrees and signs for the same contract that Toews and Kane got. Bowman isn't too concerned for future cap issues do to a compliance buyout that Bettman, Bowman's bestest friend, told him would happen the following season (not to mention Bowman will trade the 31st overall pick for 2019 to the Yotes in exchange for them taking Hoss' contract).
-Bowman signs each of Hartman, Hino, Rutta, Duclair for roughly $1.5m a piece, and Wingels for $800,000. If the cap doesn't quite work out, drop Duclair and put in Hayden.

Our Lineup:
Saad-Toews-Svechnikov
DeBrincat-Tavares-Kane
Sikura-Schmaltz-Duclair
Hartman-Kampf-Hinostroza
Wingels

Keith-Murphy
Forsling-Rutta
Oesterle-Seabrook
Snuggerud (who'll get time at 3LD, making Oesterle bump Seabs for 3RD)

Crawford
Not as good as Crawford

Boom, your welcome.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well, obviously the following will all occur:

-The cap goes up by $5m.
-Bowman will send a check to Bettman for a good pick in this year's draft. Gary, trying to not be too obvious with favoritism, gives the Hawks the 2nd overall pick. The Hawks draft Svechnikov.
-Bowman also trades away Anisimov without any salary coming back.
-Then Bowman gets an interview with Tavares, where it is quickly explained how fun a line of DeBrincat-Tavares-Kane would be. He agrees and signs for the same contract that Toews and Kane got. Bowman isn't too concerned for future cap issues do to a compliance buyout that Bettman, Bowman's bestest friend, told him would happen the following season (not to mention Bowman will trade the 31st overall pick for 2019 to the Yotes in exchange for them taking Hoss' contract).
-Bowman signs each of Hartman, Hino, Rutta, Duclair for roughly $1.5m a piece, and Wingels for $800,000. If the cap doesn't quite work out, drop Duclair and put in Hayden.

Our Lineup:
Saad-Toews-Svechnikov
DeBrincat-Tavares-Kane
Sikura-Schmaltz-Duclair
Hartman-Kampf-Hinostroza
Wingels

Keith-Murphy
Forsling-Rutta
Oesterle-Seabrook
Snuggerud (who'll get time at 3LD, making Oesterle bump Seabs for 3RD)

Crawford
Not as good as Crawford

Boom, your welcome.

this is....exactly how I see it happening as well! game over man, game over!

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

Simple change? Uptempo? How many games were “uptempo”? How long will Hawks fans be delusional to the fact that this team as construdted now is not good enough, and by that I mean that these players are just not as skilled as other teams and no matter how uptempo or on their game they are it won’t be enough, how people just dismiss the entire season as an execuse effort or coach issue just baffles my mind, this is not as simple as a coach change or play uptempo on a daily bases, if they have only played uptempo a handful of games this year, what makes you think they will do it for 60 next year? This is just naive thinking, that team won’t make the playoffs again...

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Simple change? Uptempo? How many games were “uptempo”? How long will Hawks fans be delusional to the fact that this team as construdted now is not good enough, and by that I mean that these players are just not as skilled as other teams and no matter how uptempo or on their game they are it won’t be enough, how people just dismiss the entire season as an execuse effort or coach issue just baffles my mind, this is not as simple as a coach change or play uptempo on a daily bases, if they have only played uptempo a handful of games this year, what makes you think they will do it for 60 next year? This is just naive thinking, that team won’t make the playoffs again...

In the back end, I agree. Not only are they poor defensively but they're not very active in joining the play either. Rutta was before he was injured but that's about it. MK didn't play enough to contribute in that regard.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
In the back end, I agree. Not only are they poor defensively but they're not very active in joining the play either. Rutta was before he was injured but that's about it. MK didn't play enough to contribute in that regard.

And this is one of the main issues I have with Q. He seems to not like when his D do this but during his tenure the Hawks are at their best when they play more as a 5 man unit than forwards and defense. It is mind boggling. Q also hates when D skate the puck but it makes zero sense because it opens the ice up.

Murphy, Forsling, JO, and Rutta are willing to but Q is neutering them.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
And this is one of the main issues I have with Q. He seems to not like when his D do this but during his tenure the Hawks are at their best when they play more as a 5 man unit than forwards and defense. It is mind boggling. Q also hates when D skate the puck but it makes zero sense because it opens the ice up.

Murphy, Forsling, JO, and Rutta are willing to but Q is neutering them.

It doesn’t matter what Q tells them or directs them to do, the D you mentioned and Seabrook are all bottom pairing D as of right now

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
a lot is going to depend on when we move AA and or Hartman and when/if Sikura signs.

for me I would like to see going just with what we currently have and trading AA away..

Sikura - Schmaltz - Kane
Saad - Toews - DeBrincat
Hartman - Hayden - Hinostroza - Triple H Line
Duclair - Kampf - Wingels

Keith - Jokiharju
Rutta - Murphy
Seabrook - Snuggerud
Dahlstrom

Crow
guy not named Crow

we would have around $9-10 mil in cap space (after re-signing Hartman, Duclair, and Wingels) to get another top 4 dman and a bottom 6 center...I am not sold on Duclair, but if he wants to stay here on the cheap like Wingels, I am fine with the depth and speed he offers.

hopefully this is the vision that Bowman has as that forward group is fast as hell.

now as for who we "could" target with that available money in free agency -

my top targets would be:

James Van Riemsdyk - LW - not sure what he is going to pull in the open market, but if he wants to play on his buddy Patrick Kane's LW again, he can sign here for around $6mil per year. He is exactly the type of player we need on our power play, a big body that crashes the net and knows how to deflect pucks in. He would be more of a luxury than anything else as we likely need a center to replace AA and have to get a vet on that defense to be a top 4 guy...but one could dream right!

Paul Stastny - C - could be a solid guy to target as he still is very productive, plays solid defense, and great at the dot. Again a luxury we might not be able to afford as he likely gets around $5mil and then we are back to paying that kind of money for a #3 center...but he could really step in and help fix a few issues right away.

Tomas Plekanec - C - seems exactly the type of player we could target and get for around $3.5 mil per year - he is the prototypical 3rd line center now, smart and good at the dot. I would really like to see us go after him as he would easily replace AA with better defense and face-off ability.

Calvin De Haan - D - honestly, the market available for top 4 dmen is horrible as we simply won't be in the running for a Carlson or Green on the open market. De Haan is still young enough at 27 to be a solid guy to target. Every defender on the Isles has been bad this year, but I would definitely take a shot at him if he can be had for under $4.5mil...not sure what the market will be with so few quality dmen available.

what I would hope for - Stastny and De Haan - sign both for around $9mil, leave hopefully $1mil in cap space until we can compliance buyout Seabrook.

So my 2018-19 Hawks looks like this: AA is traded and Duclair not resigned .

Sikura - Schmaltz - Kane
Saad - Toews - DeBrincat
Hartman - Stastny - Hinostroza -
Hayden - Kampf - Wingels

Keith - Jokiharju
De Haan - Murphy
Seabrook - Rutta
Snuggerud

Oesterle as an emergency replacement

Crow
guy not named Crow

That looks like a playoff team to me folks!!

migi

Feb 25, 2015
a lot is going to depend on when we move AA and or Hartman and when/if Sikura signs.

for me I would like to see going just with what we currently have and trading AA away..

Sikura - Schmaltz - Kane
Saad - Toews - DeBrincat
Hartman - Hayden - Hinostroza - Triple H Line
Duclair - Kampf - Wingels

Keith - Jokiharju
Rutta - Murphy
Seabrook - Snuggerud
Dahlstrom

Crow
guy not named Crow

we would have around $9-10 mil in cap space (after re-signing Hartman, Duclair, and Wingels) to get another top 4 dman and a bottom 6 center...I am not sold on Duclair, but if he wants to stay here on the cheap like Wingels, I am fine with the depth and speed he offers.

hopefully this is the vision that Bowman has as that forward group is fast as hell.

now as for who we "could" target with that available money in free agency -

my top targets would be:

James Van Riemsdyk - LW - not sure what he is going to pull in the open market, but if he wants to play on his buddy Patrick Kane's LW again, he can sign here for around $6mil per year. He is exactly the type of player we need on our power play, a big body that crashes the net and knows how to deflect pucks in. He would be more of a luxury than anything else as we likely need a center to replace AA and have to get a vet on that defense to be a top 4 guy...but one could dream right!

Paul Stastny - C - could be a solid guy to target as he still is very productive, plays solid defense, and great at the dot. Again a luxury we might not be able to afford as he likely gets around $5mil and then we are back to paying that kind of money for a #3 center...but he could really step in and help fix a few issues right away.

Tomas Plekanec - C - seems exactly the type of player we could target and get for around $3.5 mil per year - he is the prototypical 3rd line center now, smart and good at the dot. I would really like to see us go after him as he would easily replace AA with better defense and face-off ability.

Calvin De Haan - D - honestly, the market available for top 4 dmen is horrible as we simply won't be in the running for a Carlson or Green on the open market. De Haan is still young enough at 27 to be a solid guy to target. Every defender on the Isles has been bad this year, but I would definitely take a shot at him if he can be had for under $4.5mil...not sure what the market will be with so few quality dmen available.

what I would hope for - Stastny and De Haan - sign both for around $9mil, leave hopefully $1mil in cap space until we can compliance buyout Seabrook.

So my 2018-19 Hawks looks like this: AA is traded and Duclair not resigned .

Sikura - Schmaltz - Kane
Saad - Toews - DeBrincat
Hartman - Stastny - Hinostroza -
Hayden - Kampf - Wingels

Keith - Jokiharju
De Haan - Murphy
Seabrook - Rutta
Snuggerud

Oesterle as an emergency replacement

Crow
guy not named Crow

That looks like a playoff team to me folks!!

The problem is that after next season Schmaltz and Forsling needs a raise. Cap wont go up 7mil for them summer 2019.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The problem is that after next season Schmaltz and Forsling needs a raise. Cap wont go up 7mil for them summer 2019.

that is where the Seabrook compliance buyout comes in....and I doubt Forsling is going to cost much if we still keep him...Schmaltz, yeah he is going to hit us for around $5mil per season...we can make it fit though, just depends on Seabs and the buyout.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
that is where the Seabrook compliance buyout comes in....and I doubt Forsling is going to cost much if we still keep him...Schmaltz, yeah he is going to hit us for around $5mil per season...we can make it fit though, just depends on Seabs and the buyout.

I think the Seabrook comp. buy-out will happen after season 19-20 when Schmaltz already is signed. I may have wrong dates but I’m pretty sure the potential lockout will happen in season 20-21.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think the Seabrook comp. buy-out will happen after season 19-20 when Schmaltz already is signed. I may have wrong dates but I’m pretty sure the potential lockout will happen in season 20-21.

yeah I don't have specifics either, just heard rumors that a buyout might be added after next year per team...either way though it can still be done as all we would likely have to do is move Murphy out (not wanting to do that) but to fit Schmaltz in, Murphy would likely need to be moved until the Seabs buy out can happen.

hopefully enough of our younger dmen are ready by then to step up - Krys, Mitchell, HJ, Hillman, Dahlstrom, Forsling, etc...

Reactions: migi

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The team desperately needs at least a #3-4 defenseman. Would go a long way toward helping Keith. The bottom six isn't going to be filled with nothing but kids either. They'll bring in a vet or two.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Debrincat-Toews-_____
Duclair-Schmaltz-Kane
Sikura-Anisimov-Hartman
Saad-Kampf-Hinostroza
Hayden

Keith-_____
____-Murphy
Forsling-Seabrook
Oesterle

Crawford
Forsberg

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The team desperately needs at least a #3-4 defenseman. Would go a long way toward helping Keith. The bottom six isn't going to be filled with nothing but kids either. They'll bring in a vet or two.
honestly, I think the days of these vets in our bottom 6 are soon to be over. the kids are coming and Bowman has set it up as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad