2017 WHL Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
What an awesome game. missing 5 players, down twice and the Hurricanes still win. As soon as the tigers fans started booing and taunting Wong I knew he was going to either score the tieing or winning goal and sure enough he did, he's become a terminator for us lol. Still funny looking back to 2011,Ryan Pilon and Reid Duke were supposed to be the pillars of the future and instead it winds up being the guy picked 101.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Well, that ended my bracket. I thought the Tigers would take the Canes in 7, and then the Pats.

I figured the Pats would run through the first 2 rounds and then hit adversity against the Tigers/Canes, but having had to deal with being down 3-1 to the Broncos and losing Brooks... that's the kind of thing that galvanizes a team. I expect the Pats to run through the Canes now, especially if Lethbridge's goaltending gets sloppy.

On the other side - Seattle hasn't lost yet. That's the situation I figured the Pats might be in, and now they have to play Kelowna. It will be interesting to see how Seattle deals with losing their first game of the playoffs.

I've got:

Regina over Lethbridge in 5
Seattle over Kelowna in 7

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
Seattle over Kelowna in 7: Should be a really close series. Barzal's line is dominant and their forward group is probably better than Kelowna up front, even though both teams have great players and depth. On the other hand Reid Gardiner has 19 points in the last 6 games and the Rockets are looking good coming into the series. On defence, Seattle lost the 2 big d-men in Smith and Hauf from last season that really took it to Kelowna, so I think the Rockets will have a little more room to work this series. As for goaltending, Stankowski is really a bit of a question mark for me. This will be the most potent offence he has had to face so far this playoffs, so we will see how he does. Even if Rylan Toth is back, he doesn't really strike me as a dominant goalie that can really take over a game. Certainly there's no Landon Bow in net for Seattle this time around. Herringer will have to outplay Stankowski/Toth if the Rockets want to win IMO.

Regina over Lethbridge in 4: Sweep may be a bit of a bold prediction and I think Lethbridge could definitely steal one. But I see some similarities between this series and, oddly enough, Kelowna vs. Seattle in last years Western Conference Final. Lethbridge is going to be a tired, banged up group coming off back-to-back 7 game series and not a whole lot of rest against a really strong Pats team. Regina fought through some big time adversity coming back from down 3-1 to Swift Current and I think that will pay off big time through the next 2 series. I doubt Adam Brooks will be back unless this one goes 6 or 7 games, but obviously it's hard to tell.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
My head says that Regina will run over the Canes tired, injury riddled line up.

My heart says that I didn't think the Canes had much of a chance against a very deep Tigers squad either, so maybe I shouldn't doubt them so much.

Pats are a lot like the Tigers offensively, it's just that their top end scorers are 130 point guys instead of 90-100 point guys. Luckily they are missing one of them I guess.

Skinner will have to be on his game.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
I have no problem with people sleeping on the 'Canes. They've shown so much heart and determination so far this playoffs and have shown they can beat anyone. They have fought through injuries, fought through adversity, and just keep chugging along. An offensive team like the Pats is a good matchup for them (like the Tigers) cause they can score with the best of them.

Something to note, 'Canes won the season series 2-1 against the Pats.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
I have no problem with people sleeping on the 'Canes. They've shown so much heart and determination so far this playoffs and have shown they can beat anyone. They have fought through injuries, fought through adversity, and just keep chugging along. An offensive team like the Pats is a good matchup for them (like the Tigers) cause they can score with the best of them.

Something to note, 'Canes won the season series 2-1 against the Pats.

Wrong the Canes tied the season series 2-2.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Realistically Regina should walk through this series in 4 or 5 but this Canes is so resilient I could see them keeping things close. Skinner most likely will have to be the best goalie in the CHL to keep the Canes in it with the all injuries they've suffered.

Also John Paddock called out Tyler Wong for jumping a couple of feet to make hits which he does do on occasion. Anholt retaliated that the Pats target other teams best players and called on hurricanes fans to make Paddock in games 3 and 4 miserable. Hopefully Hecklers row can make Paddock pull a Deboer and elbow the glass.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Whoop!

3-1 Canes! Steal home ice.

Love this team.

Good to see Zborosky and Franklin back too.

Skinner is the man.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Refs calling non stop penalties on Seattle tonight VS Kelowna. Hate saying it but its really tough not to believe the refs have an agenda here. 7 calls against Seattle and only 1 call against Kelowna. Its been absolutely ridiculous. Refs allowing Kelowna to get away with everything

Seattle extremely lucky to still be in this with only a few mins left in the 3rd... Currently a 4-4 tie

Edit- refs forced to make a call against Kelowna due to flipping puck over the glass with 2 mins remaining and seattle scores on the PP and takes the lead with only 11 seconds left.

HUGE win

Last edited:

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Great game by the Canes can't believe they pulled a win out. Regina looked very beatable. Credit to Stuart Skinner for largely eliminating rebounds and the defense for mostly keeping the Pats to the outside and in low scoring areas.

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
Refs calling non stop penalties on Seattle tonight VS Kelowna. Hate saying it but its really tough not to believe the refs have an agenda here. 7 calls against Seattle and only 1 call against Kelowna. Its been absolutely ridiculous. Refs allowing Kelowna to get away with everything

Seattle extremely lucky to still be in this with only a few mins left in the 3rd... Currently a 4-4 tie

Edit- refs forced to make a call against Kelowna due to flipping puck over the glass with 2 mins remaining and seattle scores on the PP and takes the lead with only 11 seconds left.

HUGE win

Both biased parties here, but the officiating wasn't really that bad. I know it's fun to cry conspiracy for Kelowna, but the Rockets played a pretty disciplined game for the most part. Sure it looks lopsided and there were maybe a few missed calls but those missed calls certainly went both ways. Only one that I thought was a bad call against Seattle was the one called tripping where Dube went into the net, which was a pretty bad call.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Both biased parties here, but the officiating wasn't really that bad. I know it's fun to cry conspiracy for Kelowna, but the Rockets played a pretty disciplined game for the most part. Sure it looks lopsided and there were maybe a few missed calls but those missed calls certainly went both ways. Only one that I thought was a bad call against Seattle was the one called tripping where Dube went into the net, which was a pretty bad call.

Hmmm there were a few very questionable ones. Im not one to cry conspiracy ever but i found a few calls on Seattle terrible and was shocked at the non calls on Kelowna. Ah well it is what it is and i am surprised Seattle won... They looked very rusty the first 2 periods. IMO the time off between series made them lose some momentun

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Regina out shooting lethbridge like crazy and still only 1-0 for Pats

Edit - cant believe game 2 is going to OT... Wow

Last edited:

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Surprised to see such a tight checking East final against two teams with lots of firepower.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Canes are so pesky lol

13 minutes left in the 3rd and the Pats make it 2-0

2 minutes later the Canes score 2 goals in 30 seconds and now we are late in OT 1

Shots 48-29 Pats

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Adam Brooks ties up the series. Was really surprised that he played yesterday (though they eased him in pretty sparingly).

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Dammit. Ah well, split's good but when you win that first one on the road you always get greedy haha. Especially when you get it to OT.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Crazy 2 minute sequence in the Pats/Hurricanes game. Pats on the PP and just getting chance after chance (2 posts, couple of pucks right through the crease) and then Lethbridge players gets a breakaway out of the box and scores.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Nice win by the Canes for the 2-1 series lead. A lot of stupid penalties by the Pats. Hope they keep doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad