2017 WHL Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I have a feeling Ottenbreit is going to get a suspension. Took out Brooks with a hit that was a bit late and to a defenseless player. I don't think it was to the head, but a dangerous hit. No penalty called on the play, deserved something.

I really cant see how there will be a suspension...I don't have an issue with the hit. Pats coach John Paddock also said after the game that it wasn't a high hit or anything.... it would be a non issue if Brooks hadn't hit his face on the ice afterwards and split open... there are body checks like that in hockey every game and it's too bad hit smashing his face on the ice happened cause IMO losing Brooks was a MAJOR blow last night. I don't watch too many Pats games(except for a few in the playoffs) but I thought the team looked lost without him offensively.

Hopefully he is back tonight cause I am hoping for a real exciting game with both teams having all their guys. Seattle was missing one of their best players last night(Kolesar) due to suspension but will be back tonight

I am still in awe with what we are seeing with Seattles rookie goalie Stankowski... the kid is unbelievable

Last edited:

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Seattle looked like the better team tonight, but took some really boneheaded penalties. That one by Kolesar in overtime was just really really dumb. Knee a guy in the junk when there's a bunch of officials watching.

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
Seattle looked like the better team tonight, but took some really boneheaded penalties. That one by Kolesar in overtime was just really really dumb. Knee a guy in the junk when there's a bunch of officials watching.

im done with him. all playoffs long, just goonin it up with no positives to show for it

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Ya he lost it for seattle.. Team should have easily won last night but he took that ridiculous penalty in OT. Way too many stupid penalties by the team. Oh well, obviously the team wantes to win both games and could have definately, but getting a split in the first 2 games is massive now that they go back to seattle for the next 3 games.

A lot of people said before the series start that Seattle needs to split these first 2 games if they want to win the series... and sure enough they did.

God its going to be a mad house in Seattle on Tuesday

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
im done with him. all playoffs long, just goonin it up with no positives to show for it

Except for the whole leading the team in playoff scoring thing. Kolesar has been an absolute beast in these playoffs but just has taken a couple terrible penalties at horrible times

has easily been WAY more positive than negative these playoffs though

Last edited:

Imito

May 8, 2017
I realize this is my first and probably get flak for it but I must express my disgust for the Regina/Seattle playoffs so far.

Playoff hockey is definitely a different game then regular season and this round is crossing the line.

Brooks may have been unaware of who was near him at the time but there was no legitimate justification for the hit he took.
Its pretty simple what Ottenbreit intentions were when he made the hit. He made no attempt to go for the puck or even intimidate Brooks to lose puck control. Brooks already had a Seattle defenseman directly behind and not on a clear breakaway. May have hit low enough to not be considered a check to the head but a complete savage play with intent to injure Brooks.

I sincerely hope the WHL looks at the replay closely disciplines Ottenbreit harshly. An unprovoked hit like that has no place in junior hockey and needs to be dealt with.

Then we have the cherry on top with Kolesar high sticking then kneeing after the whistle. Suspend him again, this is junior hockey not a prison league.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I realize this is my first and probably get flak for it but I must express my disgust for the Regina/Seattle playoffs so far.

Playoff hockey is definitely a different game then regular season and this round is crossing the line.

Brooks may have been unaware of who was near him at the time but there was no legitimate justification for the hit he took.
Its pretty simple what Ottenbreit intentions were when he made the hit. He made no attempt to go for the puck or even intimidate Brooks to lose puck control. Brooks already had a Seattle defenseman directly behind and not on a clear breakaway. May have hit low enough to not be considered a check to the head but a complete savage play with intent to injure Brooks.

I sincerely hope the WHL looks at the replay closely disciplines Ottenbreit harshly. An unprovoked hit like that has no place in junior hockey and needs to be dealt with.

Then we have the cherry on top with Kolesar high sticking then kneeing after the whistle. Suspend him again, this is junior hockey not a prison league.

Ottenbreit hit was a great hit. Finished his check, good open ice hit, and if Brooks wouldn't have hit his face on the ice and split himself open, he would have gotten up and skated off and everyone would have moved on. But the fact he hit his head and was laying there for a while, fans assume it was a ugly hit. Hit was fine, refs thought so and so did the league and everyone has moved on I thought. Its a physical game and hitting is allowed so lets see some physical play. I HATE that Brooks hasn't been back since the hit, but unfortunately it happens.

Kolesar's knee was idiotic and he lost the game for his teammates because of it. I hope the coach came unglued on him after the game. Ill be curious if a suspension comes from it but the fact we haven't heard anything of it yet, makes me believe there wont be one.

Imito

May 8, 2017
Still disagree with that. Watching the hit on replay at ice level really shows the aggressiveness of the attack even before Brooks hit the ice. It still looks like a hit to intentionally injure.

I hope Brooks can play and isn't rattled by it. If the Pats are able to play the way they have all season without falling for Seattle's intimidation tactics they will cleanly beat them.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Still disagree with that. Watching the hit on replay at ice level really shows the aggressiveness of the attack even before Brooks hit the ice. It still looks like a hit to intentionally injure.

I hope Brooks can play and isn't rattled by it. If the Pats are able to play the way they have all season without falling for Seattle's intimidation tactics they will cleanly beat them.

as far as im concerned it was just a body check... may as well take hitting out of hockey if all hits are going to turn to penalties/suspensions. Just drives me nuts how after every single big body check nowadays, fans feel it needs to automatically be a penalty....I feel terrible for Pats and Brooks for losing him but it happens.

Refs/league got it right not calling anything.

Id be ok with a Koelsar suspension though... give him a couple games for his stupid play in OT.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I think had Seattle killed off the penalty Kolesar probably gets a game. The fact that he lost the game for his team in OT is probably punishment enough as far as the league goes. Was certainly not a hockey though.

xkj1985x

Jul 21, 2012
Seattle
I was there last night...the officiating has been hot garbage for the whole playoffs but can't blame it on that too much. T-Birds looked like crap last night.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Brown was unreal.. Won it for Pats last night

Stankowski has stole some wins this playoffs and Brown stole one last night... Great teams need that once in a while

Last edited:

Imito

May 8, 2017
It was a very nail biting game to watch at times! Much cleaner hockey than the first two games. Glad the Pats got the win and hope they can repeat tonight!

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Seattle ties it back up again 2-2. The good news is that it means the series is at least coming back to Regina for game 6. Hopefully Adam Brooks returns soon, they are banged up a bit right now and could use their captain back.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
big win for Seattle. Good to see their offensive game finally succeed in this series and put some pucks behind Brown. Team has looked pretty good offensively so far but just haven't been able to solve Brown

Best of 3 now, couldn't have asked for a more entertaining finals. Will be a MASSIVE game on Friday

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
geeze Seattle has scored 13 goals the past 2 games... The PP looks absolutely lethal and team looks great offensively

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Adam Brooks back tonight is huge for Regina. They finally get their 2nd line all back together again. I think this is the closest to the best of both teams we've seen going at each other.

Brooks got hurt in game 1 and Kolesar was suspended.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Ottenbreit gets kicked out of the game for a hit on Wagner. It didn't look that bad on the replay, but the hit has one intention only and that's to hurt someone.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Really wildly inconsistent officiating which is really nothing new for the WHL. Both goalies have been excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->